Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Dan Gilbert already investing in the city « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This program is designed to give those who would like to be entrepreneurs, a chance to build in the City of Detroit. The thing I found most interesting when reading this website (www.bizdom.com), was Dan Gilbert's involvement. Down the road I think this program, and Techtown could be the things that really leave a positive mark on Detroit.

quote:

If accepted into Bizdom U, recruits will receive:

1. The personal involvement and vision of Dan Gilbert, one of the country's top entrepreneurs, who is the founder and chairman of Rock Financial/Quicken Loans and the majority owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers.
2. Two years of practical, street-smart, real world training, taught by dynamic, engaging, and successful entrepreneurs.
3. A state-of-the-art training center in the heart of Detroit's Cultural Center.
4. Residence and all meals at a new residential tower with access to recreation centers and other campus amenities.
5. High-tech tools used in the real business world (e.g. laptops and Blackberries).
6. The opportunity to develop a plan for a Detroit-based business you want to open.
7. Free tuition, free room and board, free meals, free laptops, and free Blackberries.
8. A diploma upon graduation.
9. The opportunity of a lifetime to contribute to the growth of Detroit.

Graduates from the program that get their business plans approved, will receive our facilitation in:

1. Obtaining an expected investment into the business likely in the range of between $25,000 to $500,000 invested over time, which may be based on milestones and performance.
2. Providing graduates with a share of equity in the business.
3. Creating a plan to grow the business, providing graduates with increased equity in the business over time.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should add that Gilbert isn't just involved with this program, but he's the founder as well. I think this development here pretty much proves his commitment to the CoD. I would be completely suprised if he didn't pick the city for his new Rock Financial site.

http://www.bizdom.com/about/fo under.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all new to me. It definitely increases the likelihood, in my view, of him moving his hq to Detroit.

Is this Bizdom office somewhere at Wayne State?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work for Quicken, I am very familiar with the program. It is terrific. One thing you forgot to list was that the business eventually gets phased out of ownership by Bizdom U as the start-up capital loan is paid back.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.