Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » RE: Violent Crime Impacts & politicizing justice « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 699
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://jackshow.blogs.com/jack /

"...I went to do a magazine piece on [U.S. attorney]Steven Murphy’s predecessor.

He was an African-American attorney whose credentials seemed, well, a little light for the job. I asked about his politics. He had chosen to be a Republican in his community, which is about as rare as choosing to be a Sunni Muslim in Tel Aviv.

With refreshing candor, he confessed that he had switched parties so that there would be fewer folks ahead of him in line for federal jobs. He’d gone to a historically black law school.

When I asked if he had done so out of ethnic loyalty, he said that no, his grades as an undergraduate hadn’t been very good, and he thought that was one place he could get in.

What we ought to have is a system where prosecutors are selected for being the best and the brightest at what they do...."

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another example of the problems that Affirmative Action causes

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This belongs in non-Detroit issues.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.