Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » More Condos Coming to the Riverfront « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to WXYZ and the Detroit News, the GM condo project along the riverfront has finally been finalized after 3 years (I believe this is River East, someone correct me if I'm wrong). The pricing starts at $350 per sq. foot. The story will be in the News tomorrow. I swear, I did see this.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn you beat me to it....

Scs100

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, sorry bout that.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 515
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow..... expensive

Scs100

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. I'm definitely not trying to get my hands on one of those later on. I'd go bankrupt! :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this will be built, presumably, on all the surface parking lot space between their giant parking garages straddling Atwater/Woodbridge?

This will be a big piece for uniting the new E. Riverfront neighborhood to the Ren Cen, the civic center, and downtown.

Let's hope they give us some height and distinctive architecture.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9434
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

350 per square. When are the developers in this city adn region going to get their heads out of their asses?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5669
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thecarconnection.co m/index.asp?DID=RSS&n=173&sid= 173&article=12498

Hines will be the contractor, and the first to rise will be a residential tower.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it will decrease undoubtedly...remember when 1001 Woodward was up to 475? that went down quick

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link Lmich posted states that the first place for the building will be the slender lot fronting the riverwalk and the promenade, directly across from Asian Village. I wonder just how tall the word "tower" denotes.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 726
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just a little while longer while us geeks wait for tomorrow's detroit news to come online around 2 a.m.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When are the developers in this city adn region going to get their heads out of their asses?

Lets see - other developments are selling half - or more - within days. Riverfront views, direct access to the Riverwalk, right next door to the RenCen (great for GM execs), not to mention the rencen people mover stop... You wonder why they are selling for this high? I'm not surprised one bit. i bet they sell like hotcakes.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5671
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I'm wondering the same thing. None of the conceptualizations of RiverEast have ever shown much of anything over 12 stories, or so. I'm also wondering if the height limit for the Near-East Riverfront (as the city calls it) also applies to GM's RiverEast development, or if it's just everything to the east of that.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3041
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

couldn't sleep til I saw the story:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070621/BIZ/7 06210416&theme=Metro-Detroit-R iverfront

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3042
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they're going for upscale, and this story also says it will be a high-rise tower.

It appears the focus will be on the waterfront first...no plans are indicated for the two blocks of parking lot blocks between the garages.

Note, on the map, a proposed new boulevard coming off of 375.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5672
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I was waiting, too.

The new boulevard/freeway spur has always been part of the plan, but Granholm pretty much placed a moratorium on new road construction, which effectively puts that on hold, indefinitely.

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 21, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4626
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hines recently lost the Comerica Tower to mortgage default in the last 6 months.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 21, 2007)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5673
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also successfully redeveloped and manage the Renaissance Center and its waterfront; and manage the Compuware World Headquarters and Millender Center. I'm not sure what your point is, exactly.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its interesting the approach GM is taking. It looks like, based on what's said in that article, that they arent taking the approach shown in early River East renderings which was a step down look towards the river. Seems like they are going a lot taller down right on the river and the article doesnt even make mention the lots they own north of atwater. If they go highrise so close to the river then those lots will have to be even taller to get good views of the river. Im excited at the thought of some taller structures being built in that area and extending the skyline east. Good start to River Days!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5676
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you may be reading a bit too far into it. They probably didn't show the lots to the north of Atwater because of poor reporting. Either that, or those are the lots they've already given development rights to Morningside and Mesirow Stein.

I also think it's a lot to assume that just because they may build tall on the riverfront (and they only mention one high-rise, at the moment) that means that they must build taller behind. They could just as easily make whatever they develop on the northside of Atwater more human-scaled and oriented more towards the ground-floor.

Let's take a wait-and-see approach.

BTW, the full RiverEast Map

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/images/detroitriverfront_map.jpg

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The development will be largely residential, designed to take advantage of the waterfront property and the many amenities offered in the RenCen, which houses retail stores, a movie theater, and restaurants."

While the site certainly has all of those assets, is it still not going to be basically in the middle of a bunch of parking decks? I mean, hopefully the condo tower will be single-loaded so that all the units look out on the river instead of straight into a parking deck on the other side. Perhaps it's a bit too early for this comment, but it will be interesting to see what the building will look like on that site.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5677
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are three parking garages directly on the periphery of this development (Beaubien Place, Franklin, and River East Garages). I wouldn't exactly say that this will sit in the middle of a bunch of parking decks. Whether they be on the south or north side of Atwater, these buildings will either open onto Atwater or they will open onto the river, so I don't think the parking garages will be a big deal, at least no more os than any in other part of downtown.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: parcel B on this map (http://www.gm.com/company/gmab ility/environment/images/detro itriverfront_map.jpg) is that where the new "Asian town" garage is? Or is it right behind there, one block west, closer to the EDS towers?

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Asian Village is on Atwater.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parcel B is Asian Village.

Lmich - I understand they may not build taller on the more northern lots, but it makes sense if your designing the area to give as many units a view of the river as possible. Its the best way to capitalize on their investment and it seems logical to me.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I am sure you all can see, the parcel that says that the high-rise will be on is in front of the Asian Village Parking Garage, so there are no worries that they must build taller because all of the parcels north of the high rise are already in use. Also, are there going to be 600 units in just the high rise or all of the project?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same project Morningside and Mezrow Stein were doing?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3050
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

600 in the project, 80 in this first tower, according to Crain's.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 749
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hines is a new developer, which means the deal GM had with Morningside and Mezrow Stein must have unraveled.

I know from sources that there were some problems between the two parties.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5680
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure. The new map seems to show Hines only developing the parcels south of Atwater. RiverEast includes quite a few lots on the northside of Atwater, as well, so maybe this means they are still in negotiations with the two Chicago developers, or they are looking for new developers for that part of the lot.

I wrote the Detroit News writer and hope for a reply, because it could just be a poor map.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Riverside Dr. probably won't happen. It doesn't appear to be in the latest rendering.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i too was wondering about those parcels on the north side of atwater too (D1 and D2). perhaps another project entirely? i certainly hope so, because i would hate to see such a promising development be ruined because of two large surface lots plopped in the middle of it.

royce, i would assume this is the latest map (since this site did not exist last night), and it is certainly still there. the biggest change appears to be the boulevard is not as wide or curvy, leaving more room for development.
http://www.renshorecondos.com/ district.html

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have to remember that 375 to Jefferson and the Ren Cen were built with the car in mind and when the riverfront was not embraced as an asset. That new boulevard will be an important connection to the new riverfront.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.