Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The old Cass Tech Building - What would u do with it? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambeaux
Username: Cambeaux

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would make an excellent mixed use building, but being next door to the new school and in Cass Corridor would present some challenges. How would you develop it?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it should be rehabbed into office suites. If possible, the new wing should be removed.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Police HQ and courthouse.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apartments/condos with ground-floor retail. And yes, demolish the newer wing.

Not sure what "challenges" are present next door to the current high school. Can you elaborate?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The halls have some humps in 'em. Clearly, a reason to demolish and give the site to Mike Ilitch.

Cambeaux

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to agree with Danindc, that CT can have condos, apartments with some retail. I also see some use for their concert auditorium as well as the new part being part parking structure/part something else like a night club.

What I meant by challenges is that it's right next door to the new CT, which would present the challenge of having kids trying to skip in the old one during business hours or there being a problem with liquor licenses if you use part of the old CT for club/concert hall events.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One word...bordello.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being that the building is upwards to being 100 years old I wonder if it would be cheaper to implode it and rebuild, or rehab it to todays standards? The problem I see is that there is only one direction to expand for parking, etc and thats to the east on the other side of second. On the south you have the freeway, the west grand river and north the new CT

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hydroponics. Some innovative people used the old Molson brewery near Toronto for hydroponics.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a crazy idea. The DPS administrative staff could stop renting the most expensive real estate in the city and move into one of their own buildings...old Cass Tech

Danindc

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Being that the building is upwards to being 100 years old I wonder if it would be cheaper to implode it and rebuild, or rehab it to todays standards? The problem I see is that there is only one direction to expand for parking, etc and thats to the east on the other side of second. On the south you have the freeway, the west grand river and north the new CT

Yeah, it's old. Blow it up, so Detroit can finally have an empty lot.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More empty lots! More empty lots!

Danindc

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure that Ilitch gets a cut of money out of this somehow. Perhaps the DPS can hand control of the empty lot over to the Macedonian Parking Cartel, and kick in a few million for demo. The schools already have too much money flowing through their corrupt empire. They should give it to the man who RESTORED THE FOX THEATRE!

Cambeaux

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yelloweyes, having the DPS housed there is probably the most feasible, but I would hate to see that. I would instead love to see retail, concert hall, condos/lofts, business space, maybe a CT museum on one of the floors, and some miscellaneous in there as well.

(Message edited by cambeaux on June 21, 2007)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care what goes in there, as long as it's legal and assures the building a sound, well-maintained future. That's already asking for more than what thousands of other Detroit buildings got.

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a CT graduate, I say tear it down. Build a new admin building on the site.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4641
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Burnsie, for bringing some sanity to this thread.

P.S. This Albert Kahn designed building was built in the 1920's.

Cambeaux

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much do you think its worth if someone were to buy it in its present condition?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Yellow eyes suggestion the best.

Or a state of the art homeless shelter complete w/ drug rehab programs and vocational training.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll probably get turned into a parking lot, that's what seems to happen to alot of the old buildings downtown. Im sure I am gonna take some heat for this comment...but you know there's someone saying,"Hey I gotta great idea, let's knock it down and turn it into a parking lot!"

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/92738.html
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/89914/100313.html

(Message edited by charlottepaul on June 23, 2007)

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pics of it and surrounding area. There is tremendous opportunity in that area, if we can just keep ilitch's hands out of it. I know he's looking to raze alot of buildings around there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.