Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What Happened in Belleville? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This happened a week ago and I have heard nothing about it?
http://www.journalgroup.com/Be lleville/4923/belleville-polic e-want-to-cancel-strawberry-fe stival

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the article about it that appears in today's Detroit News.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot of discontent out there and every day it's feeding off of BushCo's stupidity (which started it in the first place). I'm afraid incidents like this and the Juneteenth celebrations gone bad are foreshadowing a long, hot, possibly violent summer.

I hope I'm wrong.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2377
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, I was thinking the same thing. There also seems to be a recent increase in cases involving individuals going berserk.

Stressful times.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup,

I hope you are wrong as well. Especially if it happens in Detroit. The fastest way to stop all the positive momentum is to have a big civil disturbance 40 years after the last one.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 689
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, this is the fault of the president?? Is no one responsible for their own actions any more, as long as Bush is in the White House? Jimaz, I'm going to rob a bank. I'll see if that gets blamed on Bush. Get real!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 727
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is like what the hell? What set this off? I hate crowd mentality. People think it's ok because they see others do it. Stupid ass sheep.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup said BushCo, not Bush. Whatever the cause, American frustration is growing.

From The Nation: Frustrated With Bush and the Democrats
quote:

Only one in five American voters believe the United States is heading in the right direction, and the overwhelming majority of them have lost confidence in President Bush to right the country's course....

Bush's approval rating, which had trended modestly upward earlier in the spring, fell back to the all-time low for AP/Ipsos surveys: 32 percent. And the number of Americans who expressed satisfaction with president's handling of the Iraq War is at just 28 percent.

That's bad news for Republicans, but it is not particularly good news for Democrats....

I think the concern that frustration may turn to increasing violence is valid.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most people in Michigan are more pissed about jobs. Maybe we should bring Granholm into the discussion.
Seriously were talking about the Strawberry festival, does anyone have any info on this matter?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's nothing like an angry mob hopped up on strawberries. That stuff should be illegal.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the first article

“This has been escalating every year,” Taylor said. “The sad part about it is these people aren’t even from the tri-community area.”

so where are they coming from?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz...what an absolute crock!! Tell me you are not so completely disillusioned that you believe such an idiotic theory. Bulletmagnet is right, there is no excuse for not being accountable for your own actions.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there is: Being the president.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I agree that BushCo has done a lot of stupid stuff, it's a pretty big stretch to tie that into this incident. This was not a political rally.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lose your job, lose your house, lose your car, watch your family fall apart or be humiliated, have your boss putting you down in order to try to justify to himself why he can't give raises or has to let people go without feeling shitty (doesn't always work), watch the politicians doing nothing to help, watch our soldiers die while tons of money gets poured into Iraq, listen to Wall Street say all is "hunky dory -you're obviously an under-educated fuck up because you're not doing well, too", not to mention listening to the media which ratchets up stress with superficial, negative, or fear based reporting, and on and on and on - added to by people who probably haven't been much affected preaching 'personal responsibility' - you think people aren't getting stressed, frustrated, and pissed off?

The tone being set by national leadership right now absolutely reveals their cluelessness and/or uncaring attitude - and that tone makes all the difference in the world - savvy politicians know that - do you think Clinton emphasized 'hope' and spoke in positives and sympathetic tones during his campaign and while in office for the hell of it? It's counterproductive for leadership to give empty lip service to the people - don't tell us you're sorry about troops being killed, don't give empty praise when your actions constantly betray your words. Another 18 months of this clown and this country may never recover.

Kenp

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, that justifies being an ass at the ole Strawberry festival

Lilpup

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that says why people are reacting to slights more violently than they normally would - regardless of where it happens

we're talking action here, not justification

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm going to rob a bank. I'll see if that gets blamed on Bush."

If you rob one on Big Beaver it just might work!

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its going on here in Texas. Austin had its problem yesterday, but unfortunately one man was killed......

http://www.statesman.com/blogs /content/shared-gen/blogs/aust in/mexico/entries/2007/06/21/_ tuesdays_killing_of_an.html

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, I'm not going to bother to click on the links. This story is about some drunks in Belleville. It is a stretch beyond belief to blame this on anyone else, no matter how frustrated they are. It seems at every opportunity a liberal leftist needs to take a swipe at the White House. Every thing wrong or bad on planet earth (and now, the rest of our solar system, as global warming is reported on other planets) gets blamed on Bush (and Co), to the point that a strawberry festival drunk is because of Bush (and Co). Yeah, I get it that people hate him, but the friggin’ strawberry festival drunk? C’mon!

Lilpup

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, hell, it was just a few drunks in '67, too, when the cops went to break it up

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanted for questioning

Strawberry Shortcake

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Yak. Strawberry Short-thug

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is FUCKING pathetic that everybody blames "the man" for their irresponsible actions with NO accountability! So 1,000 thugs terrorize a STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL???? If they put that much energy into being productive maybe they wouldn't have to resort to this type violence.

NO EXCUSE FOR THIS VIOLENCE!

Lilpup

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^yet I'm sure if someone came after you, you'd fight back, wouldn't you? - That's all it takes to start a fight that escalates into something more.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Another 18 months of this clown and this country may never recover."

Lilpup, Agreed 100%. I have never seen a presidential administration with such little regard for the American people. They could totally care less. All of their focus and interest is not on this soil.

They talk security, and our borders are wide open. They claim to be protecting us, from whom?
The Bush's, Cheney's and related will leave a legacy as the worst presidency this country has ever witnessed. And the most damaging from a diplomatic standpoint as well. They took a thriving economy and threw it away.

And Yes people are hyper-sensitive right now. Or it may be deemed patriotic and pissed off about whats happening to our country. I'll take the latter.

Our government telling us to buy duct tape and Visqueen to put over our windows in case of gas attack?? Avoid crowded areas??frisking everyone?? Treating the elderly like common criminals at the airport? And they got voted back in? I'll never believe it.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe folks thought it was the DARRYL strawberry festival?

dunno, but i lived in belleville for a while, and drugs and gang activity were experiencing a notable upswing. think about it: i-94 corridor, next door to a major airport, situated between a college town and a large urban center - two communities with relatively high drug use.

lilpup, the community focus of belleville was shifting long before gwb came into office. besides, people in greater "despair" than those in belleville and southeast michigan have found a way to gather together in a positive way, without violence, chaos, or contempt for fellow human beings.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8198
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup and Sstashmoo, are you drunk, or drugged?

It appears that there was significant Juneteenth chicannery that was unreported by the press. Blaming it on anyone but the perps is demented. Come out and say it: you both think it would all be solved with reparations - what, $2M each? Why didn't you hit up the first black prez, Billary? They were in office 8 years. Hint: Billary thought you were as loony as you think Bush does.

Guess what?

They were both right.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

karl, thanks for jumping over logic and getting straight back to the ad-hominem, inflammatory dialog.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, Karl, I'll take $2M if you want to give it to me, but there's no way I'd be eligible for reparations...

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. they were out of towners.

2. Why would they want to get into a fight at a Strawberry fest for? That's dumb. :-/

Weirdness man, Weirdness.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, what was I thinking? Bush is a wonderful president, the economy is great, and I forgot happy and content 1000+ crowds of people commonly and without provocation decide to create mayhem, harrass everyone and throw bricks at the police for absolutely no reason. Do you think it was because 1000+ of these with criminal tendancy just so happened to be assembled in one place? Fruit celebrations bring out these types? I'm going to buy a lottery ticket. Thanks.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe how many things on this forum, and in the Free Press forums get blamed on Bush.

Jesus. It almost makes me laugh.

I can't stand the guy either, but it doesn't mean the rest of us don't have to be good people or we somehow have a license to be dumb...

Lilpup

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It shouldn't make you laugh because you might be the next innocent bystander.

Nobody's excusing the behavior, just explaining it's genesis. If you can't see that there are more people than usual struggling in today's environment you're as blind as the politicians.

Kenp

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This explains all the incidents lately at strips clubs. People bring guns and causing problems. Its all because of Bush

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess I won't be going down to the River Walk after all today. There might be too many frustrated people wanting to start a melee.

Spongebob
Username: Spongebob

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What may have caused the problem ,was the heat and humidity. Plus two many beers in the beer tent.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 740
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, I guess I won't be going down to the River Walk after all today. There might be too many frustrated people wanting to start a melee."

Exactly, I'd stay away from the downtown area during the fireworks also. With all those people your chances of getting capped have to be pretty good.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.