Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New Beaner's Coffee - Free Brewed Coffee All Week - South East Side « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shelly
Username: Shelly

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there. I live in East English Village!

A new Beaner's Coffee Just Opened up at 18480 Mack Avenue, just west of Warren.

They're just GIVING AWAY free coffee through Saturday June 23rd. AND if you buy a Beaner's Mug you get FREE brewed coffee all next week!

Very nice management and employees. I'm pretty much converted to Beaners from Caribou. :-)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having grown up in Lansing and raised on Beaners, I've been waiting for this to happen! Finally good coffee is available close to home!! I will be the first regular at this location.

Shelly

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beat you to it! ;) They said I'm their #1 customer. I use to regular their Portage location.

(Message edited by Shelly on June 21, 2007)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-(

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum. That's near my family's neighborhood...I did not hear anything about them opening a store here.

I know Beaners does great business in Ann Arbor.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear Beaner's may be changing its name soon. They want to expand into the Southwest...well You could see why that name might not go over so well.

Shelly

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to Nutrition for Beaner's Drinks & Food: http://www.beaners.com/Menus/N utrition/HtmlNutritionalFacts/ tabid/123/Default.aspx

They're streamlining the cost of opening a Beaners to 200k (from 300k). They have a huge dining area for a coffee shop. Biggest I've seen compared to Starbucks and Caribou.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2707
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hear Beaner's may be changing its name soon. They want to expand into the Southwest...well You could see why that name might not go over so well.

My thoughts exactly! That's some racist sh*t!

Shelly

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an link to an overview of their Brewed Coffees (the free ones this week): http://www.beaners.com/Menus/B everages/Brewing/tabid/109/Def ault.aspx#top

..... They could always keep the name they have in the Midwest/Northeast and have another name for the stores in the SW.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 926
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or they could hire a bunch of illegal aliens in the Southwest which would keep the pc police on their side!

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked it out yesterday, very spacious on the inside, good coffee, easy parking, etc.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DaninDC,

It was never meant to be racist. It's a small company out of Lansing who was started by people who probably never even heard of that term until Carlos Mencia started saying every five seconds (or 10 seconds on episodes where he decided to throw a few "wetbacks" into his dialogue just for variety).

El_jimbo

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good coffee shop to look out for is Cornerstone Coffee. This is ANOTHER Lansing based chain of coffee shops. Their coffee is as good, if not slightly better than Beaner's and they also offer smoothies and panini sandwiches (at least they do at their downtown Lansing location).

In the next year or so, they are planning on opening 7 locations in Metro Detroit plus I believe 3 more in Ann Arbor and 3 in Grand Rapids as well. Beyond their Michigan expansion, they also are planning on opening a downtown Chicago and Las Vegas locations.

Right now, Starbuck's is the ONLY national chain of coffee shops. However, I'm sure there is still plenty of room in the market for other national competitors. If both Beaner's and Cornerstone both continue their growth, perhaps they could rise up to national status and people might start calling Lansing, Coffee City, USA.

Just a thought.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 980
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan,

Your an idiot, they do use coffee beans to make the stuff, perhaps this speaks more to some inferiority complex amongst a percent of the population.

Keep the same and let the sensitive people drink Starbucks (ass flavor).

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 690
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to DY, Shelly. I hope Beaner's Coffee does well! Detroit needs all the enterprise it can get.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5678
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo,

Isn't Caribou Coffee also a national chain?

Anyway, Beaner's has been on an agressive expansion plan the last few years, and with a great product (and presentation with their nice stores) they've got a great chance with their expansion. I'm not a coffee guy, but even I notice the quality of their product. Plus, for me, they are the local guy. They've been growing with the central city, here. Starbucks who? :-)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have spoken to people on the West Coast and they are saying No WAY would a coffee shop named *Beaners* be allowed out there. I guess it would offened some people.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's how the Elk Club felt when Caribou came to town !

Shelly

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also have free Wifi!

... Thanks for the welcomes. I'm glad to be on board. :-) - Student at Detroit Mercy

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 564
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im surprised they didn't go to downtown area first...why there?

Shelly

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well. Beaner's Corporate is actually looking at a downtown Detroit location.

Mbr

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown is pretty saturated with coffee places and there is zero nighttime traffic.

Apbest

Post Number: 565
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by downtown do you mean midtown?

Mbr

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, downtown. And by saturated I just mean there are sufficient establishments given the current demand.

But getting back to Beaners, another cool thing they have is if you are just getting a cup of coffee you can drop your dollar in a jar instead of waiting behind 4 people with long complex orders. Very efficient.

Apbest

Post Number: 566
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my comment was directed towards shelly

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Beaners is actually on the Grosse Pointe side of mack.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caribou is mostly midwest, based in Minneapolis. Starbucks is the only real national chain. (Off-topic aside-- The consensus is that Michigan is a desert for good coffee. Check out www.coffeegeek.com. No joke. These guys are purists that don't stoop to Starbucks. Whatever. I bestow my blessings upon Starbucks, because they made this country realize what coffee is supposed to taste like. Personal review: Beaners is pretty good-- their drip coffee is decent, but their lattes and such are nice. Around here I drink Beaners, Starbucks, Caribou, and the Ugly Mug in Ypsi whenever I get out there, or the cafe in the Guardian Building, which uses Illy coffee from Italy. End off-topic rant.)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5476
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy...rant forgiven! Thanks for that great link!

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the original. A true shrine. Note the original logo in the window.

Original Starbucks

Shelly

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the new Beaners is in GP Farms. BUT, it's new and extremely close to EEV and free coffee. I figured free coffee was worth writing a thread about.

I do believe downtown downtown. Not midtown downtown.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather support Starbucks. They are at least in Detroit, with several locations. I suspect "Shelly" is a Beaners employee :-)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caribou can be found in D.C., Atlanta (the folks who really own them are in ATL), Colorado, etc. They don't have a store in every state, but they're the second largest coffee chain in the country.

http://www.cariboucoffee.com/l ocations/

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of coffee drinks, do you know what the calorie count is on a Mocha or a iced mocha. It's about as much as a Big mac or Quarter Pounder with cheese from McD's. I tend to stay to drinking the regular coffee, I like a dark or medium blend. I like my coffee strong bodied, keeps me going for the day. Ive seen some more of them pop-up around my area as well. Like someone mentioned the buisness didn't take any heat till like the one person mentioned that Carlos Mencia say's it on his show every minute. I hope they really keep the name. When I first saw the name I laughed and then got over it, because it's just a coffee shop name.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been wanting to check out the Beaners, too. I actually called to inquire about hours and they were very pleasant!
Plus they have outdoor seating. Yeah!

Mbr

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was there the other day I think they said they were open until 9:30pm.

Shelly

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry dear, I don't work for Beaners. If I did, I wouldn't be spending the majority of my $$ on their coffee (or Caribou's, or Starbucks)!

In response to the nutrition comment, I put the link to the nutrition chart on here. A regular brewed coffee has very little caloric value. Of course when you add "half and half" or whole milk, that changes.

I personally don't drink brewed coffee - not enough sugar. (yes I know I could add it myself)

When I order a latte, I get the "tall" (16oz) Teddy Bear with skim milk and no whip which equals a grand total of 300 calories.

I work out every day either at the gym or by cycling around belle isle. I lift weights and always do cardio. - I can afford a 300 calorie latte when everything else I eat is extremely healthy. Also, I'm a pesco-vegetarian.

There are no coffee shops in the city of detroit that are within 15 minutes of my house. - I bascially live on Mack (EEV), just on the Detroit side. Unfortunately, Grosse Pointe is the only place I can go if I want to sit down at a coffee shop in a resonable amount of time from leaving my home.

Shelly

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Beaner's, is open from 6am to 9:30pm everyday.

Shelly

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civilprotectionunit4346 - You might want to check your facts before you post next time.

A Mocha with skim milk has 275 calories.
An Iced Mocha with skim milk has 318 calories.

A Big Mac has 540 calories.
A Quarter Pounder has 410 calories
A Quarter Pounder with Cheese has 510 calories.

I personally would never recommend eating at McDonald's. And I would recommend ordering "healthy" choices. You know - skip the whip, use skim milk. You have to be smart about what you eat and drink.

http://www.thedailyplate.com Is a great place to track the calories you have taken in each day. Their database has over 150,000 food and drink items. I've been using it for a month now. Great place.

If you're interested in bodybuilding.... http://www.bodyspace.com Great place to put your fitness goals and track your progress. Lots of support there!

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the calories with the whip cream and all the other junk. I stay away from Fast Food now, ive put myself on a diet and I'm trying to get my weight back down to what I used to be when I served in the military. Speaking of gym's I need to join one, I don't want to do heavy lifting...just get myself toned up.

Shelly

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the new Beaner's has a fireplace too, with a big widescreen HD TV.

Mbr

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=r21kmp82qhft&style =o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1 000&scene=5633616&sp=Point.r21 k8v82qhp8_Beaners___&encType=1

This place was a Friendly's many years ago. Then it became the Mongolian Grille (not related to BD's Mongolian), now it is a Beaner's.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Che'Cosa's in Mt Clemens. Their house blend coffee is real good. Get a cup if your in the neighborhood. I need to buy a pound of some of it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.