Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Discussion of Tiger Stadium plans today! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The public will be able to weigh in tonight on a plan to redevelop Tiger Stadium.

The City Planning Commission will hold a discussion on the Tiger Stadium Property Redevelopment Project at 6:30 p.m. in the Committee of the Whole Room on the 13th floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center at Woodward and Jefferson.

A plan approved by city economic development officials earlier this month calls for the ballpark at Michigan and Trumbull to be razed by September 2008, with most of the historic baseball diamond preserved. Seats and other stadium memorabilia will be sold off.

Those attending tonight's meeting should use the building's Randolph Street entrance after 5 p.m.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the drawing board the DEGC took the 2002 Navin Field plan with them...

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Corktown for ten years through the '90s. Demolition of the stadium should have begun soon after the last game there in 1999.

Which stood longer after its last game, Olympia or Tiger Stadium?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5685
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the News is reporting the Planning Commission panned the plan the media has been covering for months. I wonder how this is going to play out with the City Council, next month, though? Is it very likely they'll just go ahead and vote for demolition without a plan for the site?

Navin_parker
Username: Navin_parker

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 Cheers!!!! for the DEGC and The City Planning Commission for being GUTSY enough to take another look at the Navin Field Plan which has the funding BUSINESS VITALITY to succeed and would still allow for the development the community craves.

With the State of Michigan in such shambles and in stater's and outstater's alike giving up on Michigan why not make the best out of something none of the other State's have a historic destination use and they will come!

Don't tear it down without a plan not with my tax-money I say don't be surprised if the Council feels the same the bottom line is "SHOW ME THE MONEY" and the money is behind NAVIN FIELD!!

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point Tiger Stadium. I think that Olympia was torn down in 1986, 6 years after the Wings moved. Its been 8 years for Tiger Stadium.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4452
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

3 Cheers!!!! for the DEGC and The City Planning Commission for being GUTSY enough to take another look at the Navin Field Plan which has the funding BUSINESS VITALITY to succeed and would still allow for the development the community craves.

Not since Squealer of Animal Farm fame have I read a more ludicrous spinning of facts. The Planning Commission never took another look at the Navin Field plan or any look at it. Nor did they make any judgments on the Conservancy effort, as another malcontent suggested either. They just didn't vote on the EDC Project Plan...yet.

The Navin Field plan doesn't have "BUSINESS VITALITY." It's based on housing an independent league baseball team at Tiger Stadium. Independent League ball is a notoriously unreliable product. Teams fail, teams move, the best draw maybe 3000 fans a game - in towns without Major League clubs down the road.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.