Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New U of M scholarships are available to all regardless of race... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Michigan Tradition Award is a $10,000 award for each of four years for students from under-represented high schools or neighborhoods who also are a first-generation college student, from a single-parent household or from a household with an income of below $50,000 a year."

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070621/NEWS06/ 70621046

seriously, I don't see how can anyone can say with a straight face that race-based programs are superior to SES-based programs like the one described above...

under these new standards, students are elligible for the scholarships if they are from underrepresented high schools, single parent homes, are 1st generation college students, or are from households with less than $50k per year in income, REGARDLESS OF THEIR RACE...

I'm white and yet I met 3 out of 4 (and possibly ALL 4 depending on my high school's college acceptance rate) of those categories back when I was applying to college...it isn't just minorities that have it rough...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.