Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Portions of Asian Village Open Today « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smitch
Username: Smitch

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FINALLY!:

Part of Asian Village opening today

By Brent Snavely

7:39 am, June 22, 2007
------------------------------ -------------------
Dominic Pangborn said late Thursday that portions of Asian Village, the $7 million development in Detroit near the Renaissance Center, are expected to open today.

Asian Village, which has been plagued by financial problems, is rushing to open so it can take advantage of River Days, a new six-day festival in downtown Detroit on the city’s new riverfront.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0622/REG/70622001/1020

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waiting very impatiently for my co-worker friend to get here so we can get down there and check it out!!!

-----tapping toe-----

~Liza

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, some Korean & Vietnamese food in the CoD!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dominic Pangborn sounds like kind of an ass in his quotes.

Jennifer
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they will be offering any sort of Filipino food there. Now that would be exciting!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6090
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope that Asian Village will spread out to other Detroit Ghettohoods.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4645
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does he sound like an ass in his quotes?

To me he sounds like a frustrated businessman dealing with a lot of red tape. Maybe he had to deal with City Council? :-(

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i walked by over lunch and saw food stocked in the marketplace and people wandering around.

open, indeed!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5491
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in agreement with Gistok. I think he spoke very frankly and honestly. He's not making apologies for the delays. He sounded very factual to me.

Unfortunately I won'tbe able to make it down today but I sure wouldn't mind sampling some of the goodies when I get down there. But for those guys to get SOMETHING opened for this weekend would be a nice start.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asian village will pull alot of people from the riverwalk. The only dining choices on the river right now is Seldom Blues, Addiamos (sp).

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

other activities in the banquet spaces will really help pull corporate dollars in this place.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that working down here I do get tired of the same places all the time - as wonderful as they are RiverCafe, Seldom Blues and Andiamo's do get a bit old.

~Liza

Tuere
Username: Tuere

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't say he sounds like an ass either, but it's hard for me to believe that whatever funding he received from the city of D was what held the project up. It sounds like he needed some significant funding and at the end of the story it sounds like he's gotten the loans he needed.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dominic's a great guy. I give him credit for banging his head against the wall that is Detroit politics and NOT giving up. He truly believes in Detroit.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spicy tuna roll--seared ahi---tempura shrimp--kung pow chicken--stir fried veggies--pepper steak---awesome river views--people watching--Being an international city will attract big time investment in the city. its becoming more attractive to the cultured, well traveled individuals.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

has anybody gone to check it out and eat yet?

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOH MY GOD, JUST LEFT ASIAN VILLAGE. IM SPEACHLESS!! HAS SPICY TUNA, CALIFORNIA ROLLS, AN CRAB ROLLS. THIS PLACE WILL ROCK THE RIVER. I SAW MORE SHOCKED FACIAL EXPRESSIONS FROM PASSER-BYS AS THEY SAW 2 BROTHAS EATING SPICY RAW TUNA WITH CHOPSTICKS!!!THEY EVEN HAD A DEEJAY PLAYIN ISLAND MUSIC. THE BAR WAS LIVELY FULL OF ENERGY.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a feeling you'd like it. Love the enthusiasm. Perhaps I'll try one of those places on fireworks night.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now the sushi bar and the coffee/tea shops are open. full service sit down restaurant wont open till later.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos on getting some restaurants down here. A little expensive for my meak food budget, but how do i love raw fish. If anyone's interested, Next American City had a good article a few months back on urban fisheries. Non-toxic fish sounds good to me. Living in the D, you all should appreciate the water contamination issues we all face watching iron ore barges make their way daily back and forth from th U.P. Aside from a few Asians, i failed to see any Eastern influences. Looks like Rochester to me. Shocked on how vacant it wa today at noonish, reading some of the above commentarty.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its interesting watchin a neighborhood form out of nothing. Sitting in Asian village afforded a cool people watching view on Atwater. A melting pot is already forming on the river. Even saw a couple drag queens out in expensive looking clothes.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We ate there yesterday around noon. They only have sushi for now, but it was quite good! Plus they said they would be open until midnight, which was nice to hear. (not sure if those are special late hours for River Days) Well, they also had a bar and a coffee shop, the coffee was excellent, dark & strong.

It wasn't too busy as Jb3 says, I think the main problem there was that there was no "Open" sign or any indication from the outside that they were open. Some tables out on the sidewalk would probably help, too.

And yeah, the exterior architecture of Asian Village is not Asian influenced, but I didn't expect it to be. The interior has some interesting touches, though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.