Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anyone Remember this Club? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't really put it in the cocktail lounge thread; it was primarily a dance club (I think) with a DJ.

Does anyone remember where the Aorta Bar was or anything about it? I believe they were around in the very late 70s and very early 80s.

Badge

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on 6 Mile near Woodward. It was a dance club but they also had live music at times and theme nights.

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, 6 mile, just west of Woodward on the North side of 6. "Detroit's Main vein" as the sign read. It was next door to Bookies Club 870, which was a pretty cool place.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thursday night at the Aorta was "Motown night," folks would dance ...a nice diverse crowd.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I'd forgotten it was by Bookies. The DJ, Harvey Turner, was a really great guy. Even drove me to the airport when I moved away. He used to roadie for some major acts once upon a time. Wonder whatever happened to him?

Anyway, just found this badge and couldn't remember anything about the place. I knew you guys would know. Thanks again!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.