Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old Kroger Supermarkets in Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6252
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Kroger left Detroit to the suburbs, does anyone know about other Kroger supermarkets in Detroit neighborhoods? Do anyone have any memories about going to a Kroger Supermarket when you all grew up in Detroit? I know there's old Kroger market on Third and Prentis now a Arab-owned market.

Any comments?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 719
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day, my mom used to shop at National on Michigan Avenue near Junction. Used to buy her meat and poultry at the Kramer Meat Market, where I made designs in the sawdust covered floor with my shoes.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parker Foods on second was a Kroger, and there was one across the street from the Sears in Highland Park.

To the best of my memory the most common grocery chains were Chathams, Wrigleys, A&P (WEO!), and Great Scott!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 980
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were Wrigley's and Kmart Food in the suburbs, were there any in Detroit?

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 50's, I believe the jingle on TV was "Lets go Krogering".

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrigleys were at Joy and Greenfield, and Plymouth/Evergreen.

Kmart foods was at Plymouth/Southfield.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrigley foods were at Joy and Greenfield, and Plymouth/Evergreen.

K mart foods was at Plymouth/Southfield.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Kroger's on Grand River between Appoline and Steel back in 1951. My dad went there to do some shopping and walked right into a holdup. He described the holdup man to police and ended up getting a subpoena to his trial after they nailed him. Dad was happy to cooperate and ID'd the asshole in court. Was always proud of pop for that. He was an appliance salesman for Monkey Wards in Dearborn. He passed away in 1961 and I still miss him.

Pop

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We shopped at Shopper's fair, 7 mile/Evergreen, which became a Farmer Jack's later, we also had A&P on Greydale and Orchard (behind the Redford theatre) and a Chatham on Grand river and Cooley.
I don't remember a kroger around the Redford area back then (60's), but then, maybe we just didn't shop at one!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4910
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Wrigley's on Harper just east of Cadieux on Detroit's far east side for many years. It later became a Bruno's Appliance, but the Wrigley's Drug Store next door remained for many decades later.

Probably the closest Kroger to Detroit is the one on Mack near Moross in Grosse Pointe Farms. It's just 100 ft. from the Detroit border.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6254
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a old Kroger's on Plymouth Rd. and St. Mary's just one block away from Wrigley's supermarket on Plymouth Rd. and Ashbury Park. The Kroger's supermarket on Plymouth Rd. was closed in the 1960s only to be bought out by a white owner and named it Save-more. Then by 1999 it was bought out by a Chaldean who also owns a supermarket on the corner of Joy Rd. and Wyoming/Esper Rd. Two years later the building was on fire. It's was struck by lightling. Then the Chaldean owner rebuilt the supermarket. The two years later, the building caught on fire again. It was a electrical problem. Since the insurance company thinks that the Chaldean owner trick the wiring so that building can be on fire to get the money, the insurance company denied his claim and the building is now burned down for good.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gistok, I didn't remember that Wrigley's was the old Bruno's Appliance.

Thanks for the refresher coarse on Harper/ Cadieux.

.............................. ...................

When Perry Drugs built a new store on that site, I happened to be standing in line for the pharmacy when an angry 30-somthing white male was going ballistic about how 10 years ago, he had to wait only "a few minutes" for his prescription, and was enraged that he waited 10 whole minutes for his pills now.

I was thinking at the time, hell I'm happy that the pharmacist remembered my name!!!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4911
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to help Detroitej72... the stretch of Harper from Cadieux to Morang also had a Flemings Rexall Drug Store, a Milk Depot and Embo's Market.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 605
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Do you rember Harper Sport Shop?

I grew up at 7 mile and Gratiot, but bought my first house on University, at Harper/ Cadieux.

This was in 1995. I wanted my daughter to be raised in an environment that was diverse.

You spoke on previous threads your mother still lives there, Is it still the same as back then?

I still walk through Balduck Park weekly, and I would like to meet some of my old neighbor's, although I now live in Hamtramck.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid (5 or 6 yrs old) we lived on Drexel off of Warren not far from Chandler Park. Once a week, my mom would take me and my red wagon to a store called, I think, Big Bear Market. It was on Warren. This ring a bell with anyone?

(Message edited by sharms on July 23, 2007)

Detroitej72

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms,

What years were you speaking about?

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Kroger for years at Whittier & Kelly, across the street from the Civic Theater. I was fascinated with it as a kid, because it was the first store I had seen with an "electric eye" door opener (before they started using the floor mat style openers). I'd stand at the door all the while my mom shopped and keep putting my hand in front of the light beam and opening the door. (No wonder they're all mounted high off the ground now.)

Also a Wrigley's (later Chatham) at Morang & Kelly. For a while, Wrigley's changed the names of several stores, including that one, to "Riley's." It was supposed to save them money on their signs & advertising, because they could drop the "W" and "G" in their name. They even used shamrocks as part of their logo on their signs while they pretended to be Irish. Later it went back to Wrigley's before Chatham took over.

That Civic Center area also had an A & P over on Houston & Hayes, and a Great Scott. Also a Great Scott at 7 & Gratiot.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms--Welcome to The Forum. I remember the Big Bear markets. They had one on Woodward, somewhere around 14 Mile Road. I recall their up-beat jingle on radio which ended with "I'm on my way to Big Bear Market"!

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kroger's that I can recall-in the city-growing up in the 80s were the one(s) on Warren and Conner, and Dequindre and Eight Mile, if I'm not mistaken, there was one in Rosedale Park (now Grandmont-Rosedale) that later became a Foodland. In fact, most old Kroger stores in and out the city became Foodland's (were they a Kroger subsidiary? that's the impression I got from them). I remember SEVERAL A&P's throughout the city as well. Let's not even count the Kroger on Gratiot & 7 Mile (that didn't even last two full years-correct me if I'm wrong on that note-due to mismanagement). I went into detail as to my first impression of that new Kroger (on a different thread), and I'd rather not go into it again. Shockingly, the Sanders Bldg. on Gratiot and Pfent (2 blocks north of 7 Mile) is still standing in good condition. Who knows? Maybe it'll resurface (possible, just thinkin' positive and outloud here).

Sharms

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72....I was five years old in 1954....so it would have been around this time........(I now live in Park City, Utah)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was indeed a very nice Kroger in Rosedale Park and my family shopped there almost exclusively starting in the 70's. It was right on Grand River in the Grandland Shopping Center west of the Southfield Expressway and north of Fenkell Avenue. As mentioned previously, it became Foodland in the 80's.

During the 70's, A&P was in the Grandland Shopping Center as well. It was always very clean, but my parents did not like something about A&P, so we rarely went inside.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were 2 Kroger's in Wyandotte. One was at Fort St. and Ford Rd. (aka Northline outside of Wyandotte). Last I knew of there was a drugstore there, Arbor Drugs I think??
Then there was the downtown Wyandotte Kroger and there was a downtown Wyandotte A&P. I can't name the streets those were on exactly (one on Elm and one on Maple?) without looking at the area again, but from the corner of Maple and 3rd you could see them both.
There was an A&P at the Fort-Grove shopping center in Wyandotte. Danny's was in there for a long time after A&P left. My mother used to shop in there all the time. It's now a "Saver's".
Further out there was a grocery store along with the Korvette's at Fort and Pennsylvania in Southgate. They used to hand out a lot of little samples. Mom and I shopped there at times. There is a KMart there now I think. An aside, I remember a Korvette's on the East side (Roseville?) on Gratiot near 11 or 12 mile (roughly). I don't remember if it had a grocery store.
Another grocery store in Wyandotte was a Wrigley that was on Eureka near 22nd where the News Herald was for a long time. My dad worked stocking and cleaning up in there when he was laid off from his job at Great Lakes steel for 11 months right after I was born.
At Southgate shopping center, there was a grocery store on the corner at Eureka. Originally it was a Big Bear, then I think it was Wrigley, then Packer. Later on it was an F&M cosmetics store. It's torn down now. The KMart on Eureka just east of Southgate shopping center also had a grocery store. That was another of my mom's favorites.
There was another Packer foods on Fort St. on the Southgate side near Oak or Vinewood. I think that is a florist now.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KMart:

-Sherwood and Outer Drive
-8 Mile and Gratiot

I'm sure all of them had a Grocer at one time, but the last location to have one was the Sherwood location.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms

Hi and welcome.
I lived at 5944 Drexel from 1960 until 1962.
There was a Big Bear on Warren near Dickerson across from the Parkside Projects. That was probably the one you went with your ma.
Do you remember going to the Parkside theater or bowling at Parkside Lanes?

Prokopowicz
Username: Prokopowicz

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never heard about Wrigley's becoming Riley's. The signs must have been all caps to pull that off. Remember when Federal's became Deral's? Then, I think one of them became Ed's. I still laugh at that.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kmart:

Sherwood and Outer Drive
and Farmer Jack was next door to it also

7 Mile and Meyers (now Home Depot)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, the Farmer Jack moved in the 80s when Detroit's Brand New Outlet Mall opened.

The location on 8 Mile and Gratiot also had a FJ next to it.

Yes, I know it's not Detroit, but it's in such close proximity and pretty much all of the Far NE Detroiters used it, so might as well consider it ours.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 26, 2007)

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Krogers on 7 Mile just west of Livernois. It had an A&P as a competitor just across the street. I believe both are totally gone now, but my first job was a bagger at that Kroger.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni mentioned the Rosedale Park/Grandland Center Kroger. I worked part time at that store frm 1962-66.Our house was on Ward Av 2 houses North of Fenkell. I remember riding the Fenkell bus frm downtown(I was a student at D I T) to the store the day JFK was shot. Very surreal. Noone spoke much on that busride. Another time someone mentioned they heard of supermkts in California staying open 24hrs. Of course that was just a rumor. Who knew!!

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni mentioned the Rosedale Park/Grandland Center Kroger. I worked part time 1962-66.Our house was on Ward Av 2 houses North of Fenkell. I remember riding the Fenkell bus frm downtown(I was a student at D I T) to the store the day JFK was shot. Very surreal. Noone spoke much on that busride. Later someone mentioned they heard of supermkts in California staying open 24hrs. Of course that was just a rumor. Who knew!!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have 24 hour Krogers in SE Michigan as well. The one that had the Emergency last night in Ann Arbor was 24/7.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

krogers used 2 b on 6 mile nr meyers (liberty foods) and wrigleys was on livernois between 6 & 7 mile (it used 2 b the blockbuster, I forgot what it is now.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 750
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, thanks for posting the pic of your dad. He looks like a nice guy and dressed professionally like I would like my appliance salesperson to dress.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Probably the closest Kroger to Detroit is the one on Mack near Moross in Grosse Pointe Farms. It's just 100 ft. from the Detroit border"

That was "our" Kroger, on the same side of Mack as Hughes Hatcher & Suffrin. Our Farmer Jack was just across Kingsville next door to Kaycee's. I worked at Kaycee's for Mr. Cutler as a cashier for a little while. I could walk there from home. Does anyone want to admit to remembering that Farmer Jack used to be Food Fair?

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Eastsidedame, if I can admit to remembering Wrigley's and even Riley's (the temporary spin-off of some Wrigley stores) I'll admit to remembering Food Fair. I recall thinking that when Farmer Jack took it over, the name sounded so "country," which seemed out of place in an urban area.

Sharms

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven.....I lived at 5050 Drexel. We moved to the suburbs in '56 so I would have been too young to go to the bowling alley. But I do remember it (the bowling alley) I just remember the weekly trip to Big Bear. I was only 4 or 5 at the time. I went to Hamilton Elementary School for kindergarten before moving. Thanks for responding.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame: Re: Krogers, Mack and Moross.
Is it still open? Our last permanent 'digs' was on Lannoo street, west (or north?) of Mack about 200 FEET from Krogers.
We lived there for six years.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Kroger as of today is still open.

I've been in there. Nothing Special.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still has the Classic look outside like it hasn't been renovated once.

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Food Fair Markets bought out Lipson's Markets in the late 1950's. There was a lipson's store turned Food Fair on Kercheval near Phillip.

Anybody remember C.F. Smith stores. They were a neighborhood chain of food stores that pre-date the "super" market. I think I saw their corporate name in stone on a building on West Outer Drive?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5490
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba began working for Wrigley's in 1956 when he got his Social Security card at age 15. He worked after school at the Davison-Greenlawn store, still standing but vacant. Wages, 60 cents an hr. as carryout clerk. Raised to 80 cents when casheering.

On Sundays, since his store wasn't open, he worked at Joy Rd. and Linwood Big Bears, also Borman owned. In summers home from College, jjaba worked at the Greenfield and Grand River Store behind Federal's Dept. Store. That was about 1960-62.

In 1964, when jjaba was in grad school, Detroit CORE picketted the hell out of Krogers. Yes, they were all over the city. Krogers had no Black employees above the rank of stockboy. Imagine that. No store dept. heads, no managers, nada.

We did wonderful work by going in stores all over e Detroit on Saturdays, loading up our carts with a variety of items, putting them on the belt, and then refusing to pay until the company did something about hiring and promoting blacks. As you know, re-shelving understock takes hours of labor. Sometimes, we would target an item, say ketchup, and remove every bottle of it from all the stores at the same time.

Krogers came to the table and caved like an Interstate Bridge.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Krogers came to the table and caved like an Interstate Bridge.

Real classy. For your sake I hope no one on this board has relatives who are missing/dead from that tragedy. Real classy.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds
No class at all!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5495
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, caved like a crooked politician. Sorry for the poorly written metaphor. jjaba apologizes to anybody associated with anything awful like the Minneapolis event.

jjaba.

Ptpelee
Username: Ptpelee

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember an A & P store at Grand River and Sussex, my Grandmother used to shop there in the late 60's. It was very old and it had tin ceilings and a two tiered roof with clerestory windows in the center of the store. Each aisle used to have a coffee grider in it, everytime I smell coffee being grinded I think of that store. I'm not sure when it closed but it must have had a hard time competing with newer supermarkets.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditman:
I was unaware and surprised to hear that the location where the Grandland Shopping Center (GSC) now sits had a grocery store prior to when the GSC was constructed in the very early 70's. I am referring to your (Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:13 pm) post about working part-time at a Kroger's there from 1962 to 1966.

Please enlighten me/us about the GSC location in terms of what was there before the early 70's, or any other historical information you may have.

Thanks

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 914
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a Kroger just south of 8 Mile on Livernois?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wasn't there a Kroger just south of 8 Mile on Livernois?"

What year(s)?

During the 80's, there was a large grocer at the NW corner of 7 Mile Road and Livernois.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 916
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

60's. Memory says it was on the west side of Livernois.

Shirlselects
Username: Shirlselects

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Kroger's on the west side. Maybe around Warren. I know I was impressed whenever we shopped there because it was so much bigger than our little neighborhood corner stores, like C.F. Smith's. This was in the 40's and 50's. It was probably torn down when all the expressways were built, just like all the homes in my area. Trumbull, Hamilton, West Grand Blvd. to Warren.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I remember an A & P store at Grand River and Sussex, my Grandmother used to shop there in the late 60's. It was very old and it had tin ceilings and a two tiered roof with clerestory windows in the center of the store. Each aisle used to have a coffee grider in it, everytime I smell coffee being grinded I think of that store."

I used to go to that store with my grandmother too, just a few houses down sussex!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.