Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lodge: 45 where workers present? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 508
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The signs on the lodge between the Davison and 94 say 45 MPH when workers present. It should read 45 MPH construction zone. The reason I am urging people to do this is because I have witness two single car accidents going southbound in the past few weeks.
One accident I witnessed a few weeks ago the man was going roughly 70 in front of me and the car next to him swerved a little to avoid a worker who came from behind a truck and almost out into the lane. This caused the car he swerved toward to brake and fishtail into the wall.

The second one was today. A semi knocked a barrel into the middle of the slow lane. We swerved to miss it and were fine going around it. The car two cars back swerved and fishtailed and went into both walls around 5:00 today.

We were all going to fast because there were no workers around. So please DetroitYesers be precautious, go slower, and watch for Orange Barrels.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say 70 mph IS the construction speed limit on the Lodge. Normally it's about 100 mph right? However you are correct, please slow down!

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry but in michigan now it's 65mph in a zone unless workers are there then it's 45. I don't know why they changed it.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few minutes after I barricaded off a southbound Lodge entrance ramp at 7 Mile a few years ago, some bitch on the frontage road, jabbering on her cellphone, crashed through it at over 50 MPH and missed me by, maybe, two feet. She must have had some issues with the police because she limped her damaged car away.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sorry but in michigan now it's 65mph in a zone unless workers are there then it's 45. I don't know why they changed it."

Except that the lodge is only 55mph to begin with.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE LODGE OPENS TONIGHT! THE LODGE OPENS TONIGHT!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070830/NEW S05/70830031

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone was going to post this...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must have decided to give me the honor.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure why the state should lower speed limits just because you were in danger while exceeding the CURRENT speed limit...you should try going that speed first.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The normal speed limit on the Lodge is not 55mph anymore. The state government raised all limited access freeways to 70mph in the spring. You are right in stating that the law is 65mph in a construction zone unless workers are present, in which case it drops to 45mph.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it's 60mph in the a construction zone except where workers present. (For a normally 70mph zone.)

And not ALL limited access freeways went to 70mph. Just the sections that did not have a traffic control order that set the speed limit lower than that. If they did have a traffic control order setting the limit lower, they were allowed to remain less than 70mph. Most of the slower sections did not have the order, so legally they were still 70mph sections and were changed to reflect that. Expect some urban freeways to obtain a traffic control order for slower speeds in the future.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9901
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take an extra couple minutes and think about the safety of the workers and their loved ones.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2753
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The speed limit on parts of the Lodge will still be 55. It falls under the special lower limit for in city freeways. This is in place for sections of I94, I75, I375, I96 and the Lodge in the center of Detroit.

There are still sections of freeways in the state with the 55MPH speed limit.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lodge should understandably be lower. First of all, the speed limits on it are completely ignored anyway. Second, it has a lot of turns that were not meant to be driven on at 70mph, it USED to be in terrible shape in places, and the shoulder is small, so a slight mistake has you kissing concrete wall.

Drive safe everyone. Nowhere is that important to get to two minutes earlier.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9902
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NDavie - Why are the freeways slower in the city. Always seemed kind of silly to me.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The speed limit is posted as 45 when workers are present. a worker was present in your first accident, therefore the lower speed limit was in affect. Not the speed limit sign's fault some a-hole was not observing the posted speed. I personally agree with this new policy. Nothing more frustrating than a quota filling cop tagging drivers in a 45 mpg, 10 mile long construction zone with no workers present and no reason the speed should be that slow. 696 at Van Dyke is 70mph normally, however with the bridge construction, they posted standard 60mph signs with additional 45mph when workers present signs.

Jt1 - Freeway speeds are calculated based on ramp length and width of break down lanes (i.e the shoulder), crash data, speed surveys, and min/max limits set in MI law.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0, 1607,7-123-1593_47093_25802_35 556-16169--,00.html#Speed%20Co ntrols

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't lose your head
to save a minute.
You need your head.
Your brains are in it.
BURMA SHAVE

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.