Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Coney dogs in Malaysia « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you know that there is a blog devoted to the life and lore of the noble coney dog?

It is at:

http://www.coneydetroit.com

Curiouser still, he currently has a frontpage coney sauce recipe from a woman in Malaysia, and he links to her blog:

http://tinyurl.com/3ajx9d

See the comments. For the hell of it, since I'm learning Indonesian (a close relative of Malay, and mutually intelligible), I asked in that language whether a lot of people in Malaysia ate coney dogs. Her reply below means (I think) "Yes, lots of Malay people eat them here. If you try being a bit adventurous, you'll like them!"

I'm still working on a translation for "Two on one, heavy onion, and an orange soda!"

They're called Michigan dogs in upstate NY and Ontario/western Quebec. Anybody else ever encounter them in unlikely locations?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 574
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the website! Can't ever seem to find a decent Detroit coney when I'm out of town. What's really strange is that I registered DetroitConey.com a few weeks ago (I didn't even know that ConeyDetroit.com existed).

Coneydetroit
Username: Coneydetroit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thanks for the Coney love.

Will work up a series of posts in a week or two about this amazing
place in Henderson, Nev., started by an ex-pat Detroiter named Manny
Sanchez. Coneys. Better Made chips. Vernors. Sanders sundaes. So
comforting to find a taste of home so close to the Las Vegas Strip.

www.coneydetroit.com

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have coneys in malaysia, but I can't even get one in Kansas City :-(

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, but they use real dogs

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ (rim shot)

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in Iceland they had something similar to a coney dog. No chili, though, on the "traditional" one. It's sort of their version, I guess. And you can get lamb dogs, too. They were pretty good. The best place to get them was a little stand in a parking lot along the harbor where even Bill Clinton had stopped by to sample the hot dogs.

Rb336

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you were in iceland did you try the seared goat head?

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336, I had to pass on that and the rotten shark. I wanted to try Puffins but it wasn't the right time of year. The most "exotic" I got was Minke Whale.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unlikely location: Last summer, I was camping on Lake Champlain in Vermont. It was raining so I decided to go "into town" to eat lunch. Went to a diner and whoa and behold---Detroit Coney Islands on the menu. Sat and chatted with the owners who said they enjoyed them when in Detroit and wanted to add them to the menu.

Rb336

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool. even if vermont did try to make Champlain a Great Lake.

Looneyl
Username: Looneyl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coneydetroit...
BETTERMADE in HENDERSON?!?!?! Coneys too???!! I'm about an hour from Henderson. DO tell; where, oh WHERE! is this location!!
(from someone that has chips sent every Xmas.)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, I'd bet you know about this Henderson place. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.