Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit is like Traverse City « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I was born in Traverse City and moved here but still have a house in TC. Every summer in TC there is Festivals constantly. National Cherry Festival in July and TC film Fest in August and some Fancy dining expo thing in Sept. Every Fri from July 1st till Sept 1st is Friday Night Live where they close of the streets in Downtown and have magigans and juggelers and food stands and bands play there.

Detroit this summer has had festivals going on constantly like
Riverdays
3 days in the D
City Fest
Jazz fest
4th Fri with ford
State Fair
Campus Martius park summer fun
Festival of india
Belle Isle Grand Prix
Chene Park

so I think that Detroit will become a touristy City or Hip City quite soon!!!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me attendance at some of these festivals has been increasing as well. The momentum from the Super Bowl seems to still be carrying, as far as people wanting to come down and have a good time.

Images from those Superbowl nights are still burned into my head. The masses of people on every block, Monroe completely closed with people and vendors everywhere, Winter Blast going on, music everywhere, spotlights panning the skies, light misty flurries falling... More people than a constant stream of buses could handle. Ahh, good times.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is finally starting to get it right with festivals that appeal to all types of people. That is what a major city should do.. When you go down to the various festivals and concerts I have been to I was delighted to see the diversity of people...... There is something for everybody.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck yea, whatever you say. I cannot wait to see those tourist trains like in Key West toting people around. Or even better, a renovated World War II amphibious landing vehicle like they use in Boston giving tourists a tour of the D then plopping in the Detroit River to give a tour of Zug Island and all points in between.

I want what you are drinking or smoking, it has to be some primo stuff French777.

(Message edited by quozl on August 22, 2007)

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciate the optimism, but why would anyone make a 4 hour drive to see who gets Blue Ribbon for the best fruit pie or to see Foghat? The State Fair?!?!

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You missed a few, French777!

Detroitbill

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like someone needs to seriously look at whats going on lately. One doesnt need to smoke or drink anything to see the increased synergy. My most negative friends even comment to me at all the improvements going on now. As for tourists waiting in line, actually on the weekend people waiting to take the boat tours on the river were blocking normal walking traffic along the river walk. Somebody obviously sees a change also. Or, I guess we all are imagining it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2378

quote:

Or even better, a renovated World War II amphibious landing vehicle like they use in Boston giving tourists a tour of the D then plopping in the Detroit River to give a tour of Zug Island and all points in between

Hey why not? Seattle has those too:

http://www.ridetheducksofseatt le.com/

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were in the "D" the weekend of the bbq feast at Hart Plaza and the Eric Burdon & the Animals concert on the river at the Ren Cen. Talk about a diverse crowd!! Great time was had by one and all. Keep it up!

Quozl

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Pam, and I was not being cynical Detroitbill. I not only see the "increased synergy", I feel it in my bones.

The song "Something in the Air" by Thunderclap Newman runs through my head when the synergy slaps me in the face on the Riverwalk.

But to compare Detroit to TC is a stretch. Why not compare it to Munising or St Ignace?

(Message edited by quozl on August 22, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One doesnt need to smoke or drink anything to see the increased synergy."

No, but it is certainly more fun.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and what in the heck is wrong with Foghat?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But to compare Detroit to TC is a stretch. Why not compare it to Munising or St Ignace?

lol.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 916
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What decent sized city doesn't have a large number festivals? To say that Detroit like TC because of this is rather stupid, you could compare Detroit to an endless number of cities.

Detroitbill

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh thats right ... Munising and St. Ignace have professional sports teams, the 5 th largest art collection in the U.S. , major corporate headquarters, professional theater venues, I forgot about that..<g> but nothing close to what TC has,, ????????? Now Im really confused

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...cause I'm a fool for the city (God help me for knowing that...)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5157
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl Detroit already has that tourist train... the People Mover! I just took a group of 20 Germans on a tour of the city, and they loved the PM. They even asked if it was built for tourists! :-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the fuck is a Hip City (capitalized)? I'm so sick of seeing that everywhere.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A city with big hips?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And good birthing hips, too.

Quozl

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were called breeding hips with birthing lips?

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hips notwithstanding, there are a bunch of Boatnerds like myself who would give their left arm for a tour of Zug Island. I know lots of folks who’ve tried to access Zug Island to see the boats, only to get booted off the property (no surprise).

The Diamond Jack tour boats have an annual Railfan cruise up & down the Rouge River that is usually sold out before I even hear of it.

A week or so ago, 60-some of us got together for a Downriver cruise on the M/V Friendship (out of Portofino’s in Wyandotte), & we not-too-seriously contemplated hijacking the boat & forcing the captain to take us up into the Rouge all the way up to SeverStal N.A.

The river & its shoreline is an incredible attraction for many of us.

French777

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just talking about Summer Festivals not like WinterBlast or anything out of the summer season

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 621
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit could never be like Traverse City because we don't have miss cleo living around here!

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok- did you take your Germans to the Tigers game last night? We had 5 or 6 Germans sitting next to us in section 218. They seemed to be having a great time.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 417
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ridetheducks.com/
Just so you know, a lot of towns have the ride the ducks--not just seattle. And... I actually could see them opening a branch in detroit with the new riverfront improvements.

French777

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is Zug island nice???

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw,

There is a duck in Saugatuck, Michigan. It was pretty expensive so we just watch it from afar.

Quozl

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

is Zug island nice???

Damn straight Zug Island is nice. Surrounded by a beautiful, pristine fluid that was once water, it is where lakers discharge their rusting, red cargoes of taconite. Despite the ugliness, you will find beauty in the setting, especially at night. The bright orange glow of the blast furnaces, the dark piles of ore, the rust stained works, the noise, the strange smells, the escaping smoke and gases, all combine into a montage of industrial might that assaults your senses.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the angry souls of the dead indians, who's eternal rests have been disturbed by a hundred years of industrial carnage!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Surrounded by a beautiful, pristine fluid that was once water, it is where lakers discharge their rusting, red cargoes of taconite. Despite the ugliness, you will find beauty in the setting, especially at night. The bright orange glow of the blast furnaces, the dark piles of ore, the rust stained works, the noise, the strange smells, the escaping smoke and gases, all combine into a montage of industrial might that assaults your senses

Ok, we've got the blurb for the Ride the Ducks-Detroit brochure.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl.....you are nuts.

I am very excited about the Jazzfest. This new crew has really revitalized it. They are bringing in some of my favorite acts while introducing me to names I never heard of.

The Jazz talk tent is a highlight for me. It is run by the phenomenal Jim Gallert and Lars Bjorn.
To get an idea of how interesting things get check out: http://www.jazzstageproduction s.com/djs/

One panel discussion you can hear there was about Frank Zappa. It was a very insightful look into Zappa's mind. Detroit's own bassist, Ralphe Peterson, played with Zappa and had so many interesting and humorous memories.

Perhaps I will see some of you down there.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazz...

I will be attending...hopefully we will se you there as well.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 375
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's near water.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.