Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bodycount down (?) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So DPD released positive news and this is the only way it gets reported? I didn't even see it mentioned on other news sites:

Just as the Detroit Police Department comes out with information claiming shootings and murders are down in the city, a violent night kept police busy. (WXYZ)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As the combined readership of metropolitan newspapers continues to decline, television increasingly represents the most important source of public information. Local TV news programs bear a 71 percent chance of featuring at least one crime story in the first three stories broadcast. Crime and destruction have come to dominate both national and local programming...Meanwhile, the violent and nonviolent crime rates on American streets have declined since the early 1980s."

from page 22 in Myron Orfield's "Metropolitics: A Regional Agenda for Community and Stability"

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unfortunately, firebombing widows, shooting senior citizens in the head, and nightclub gun spray seem to be on the uptick.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9725
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee Detroitrulez, there you go bringing up facts and not drinking the kool-aid like everyone else. How dare you?

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[burp]

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul pretty much answered any questions in this one.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime sells papers and gets people to watch.

I used to work in a newsroom, it's how story decisions are made.

Pointing out Detroit crimes is convenient as it, for the majority viewership that spends advertising dollars, is a story that gets viewers in but doesn't scare viewers too much or into action, as it's "over there" and "by them."

Happy doesn't sell - bad things happening sells in the TV/Newspaper biz.

It's why I get all my local news from WDET now, and am actively supporting alternative news sources - they are at least balanced.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only 71%?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Crime stories are inexpensive to cover, easy to explain, and generate high ratings...Coverage, often sensationalistic and repetitive, frequently returns to the scene of a brutal crime two or three nights in a row." (same book, p. 22 again)

This is why we all know that Detroit in all actuality is relatively safe. Unfortunately those in the 'burbs get the wrong impression, even if they don't know it.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Citylover

How long did you live in Detroit again?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of the following is "made up." The data shows that media is disproportionately covering crime because it is easy and boosts their ratings. While violent crime has gone down, violent crime has been aired more and more on the local TV news. This therefore creates an INCORRECT perception of whatever city anywhere:

"Minnesota Planning found in 1994 that residents of Hennepin and Ramsey counties (wealthy outer-ring suburban counties of the Twin Cities) held expectations of victimization that were in some cases more than six times their true likelihood of victimization. The disproportionate levels of crime covered by television news programs, then, are significant not only in their large audience and skewed coverage, but in their ability to form perceptions and set the public agenda. This can create a real barrier to regional coordination and discussion." Same book as quoted above, p. 24

I am in Charlotte, NC. I understand that point that you are trying to make about my location. My counterpoint is this: it doesn't matter what city or metro area you live in. The media makes for tough issues in regional cooperation!

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2579
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never have and never will; do you Iheart? My point is not to live there or not but that the likes of charlottepaul stop making shit up.Does anyone honestly think a stroll around gratiot and connor is a wise thing to do? I define relatively safe as meaning I could walk around that neighborhood as easily as I could any here in Ann Arbor.And that of course is bullshit. So charlottepaul making dumbshit claims about detroit from charlotte be it michigan or north carolina is gonna hear about it.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From your perception Citylover, what is the likelihood that something is more likely to happen to you at Conner and Gratiot that would not otherwise at S. University and Washtenaw?

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that is bullshit at all. Have you ever just gone for a walk in these most dangerous of areas. I have and have never had any problems. The majority of violent crime is committed against people within their own circles. True random acts of violence (a media favorite), is rare. I am more likely to get hit by a car and die taking a walk in AA than I am to be at the receiving end of a violent attack while taking a stroll around gratiot and conner. You (Citylover) have been so brainwashed by the sensationalist media that this false but pervasive suburban fear has taken a foothold in your mind.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Lover must believe that one must be chicken to know what an egg is......

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pointing out Detroit crimes is convenient as it, for the majority viewership that spends advertising dollars, is a story that gets viewers in but doesn't scare viewers too much or into action, as it's "over there" and "by them."

1) Only a fraction of Detroit's murders are actually covered on the evening news.

2) If someone tossing a fucking FIREBOMB through the window of a home, killing an innocent old woman, isn't newsworthy to you then what is? Is this Baghdad where such things are so commonplace that they aren't even worthy of a mention?

3) Were you away on business when the news was splattered with coverage of high-profile white suburban murderers like Stephen Grant and Patrick Selepack and his fat girlfriend?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, I think you might be misunderstanding what Charlottepaul meant. My understanding is that he was saying that Detroit is "relatively safe," compared to what many people's perceptions are. That might in fact be true, if you asked suburbanites what they thought the likelihood was of victimization and then compared that to the actual likelihood.

Clearly, walking around the worst areas in any city is a bad idea if you are concerned about avoiding crime. At the same time, that does not mean that the media has not made Detroit seem more unsafe than it actually is.

Lastly, before you start claiming that I am making things up as well, I fully believe that Detroit has an awful, terrible crime problem. I also believe that the city has not sufficiently addressed the problem, and that in the long term, that will limit the degree to which the city can reverse many of its problems. Clearly, Detroit's crime problem hinders the its development.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never have and never will; do you Iheart? My point is not to live there or not but that the likes of charlottepaul stop making shit up.

I think that Cpaul made a very good point that isn't just relevant to Detroit media, but local media in every big city market in the country. No, I don't live in Detroit now, but I was raised there, and it is one of the only places in Michigan I would ever consider moving back to.

Detroit is a very large city, with a population and geographic area that is much larger than Ann Arbor. It is impossible to compare the two, and I'm much more of an authority on this because I have lived in both places.

Saying that Detroit isn't safe because you can't walk where ever you want to at any time of day is essentially saying that all big cities are unsafe. Or that America period is unsafe. Or the world is unsafe. The same can be said of NYC (where I currently live), Chicago, DC or any other city. So basically you're saying nothing.

On the same token, plenty of people have been robbed in Ann Arbor out on the streets in the middle of the night. I know this because some of them were robbed in areas where I would have to walk home in the middle of the night by myself from the libraries. I also know of two cars that were broken into in the last few months of me living there. There were convenience store and gas station robberies, and there was even a gas station clerk that was executed at one of those gas stations on Stadium Blvd during my senior year. Shit happens everywhere.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buzzman you are truly buzzed.That is such an idiotic statement that it is just fine and dandy to walk around for example gratiot and 6....."just taking a friendly stroll officer"....um yeah ok. Three reason why I a white guy clearly out of place in a marginal detroit neighborhood would stand out like a complete dumb ass: 1) I am lost. likely nothing would happen. But it is much more likely something would happen then it would at s.u. and washtenaw in aa. 2) I am looking for drugs or prostitutes .I may know my way around a little but I am certainly vulnerable.Cops don't like it and most neighbors don't either.No one is looking for hookers at s.u. and washtenaw . and of course 3) "just taking a friendly stroll officer.... nope not looking for any dope just a nice leisurely walk" Btw I have had sherriff's deputies when my car broke down to not walk thru a neighbor hood in broad fucking daylight.They told me to walk the main drag.

Iheart you are not an authority on a damn thing.A2 is a much much safer city than detroit. Any peanut brained moron knows that much.I am glad in some areas detroit is seemingly doing better but don't try and spread lies or I will call you out every god damned time.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"just taking a friendly stroll officer.... nope not looking for any dope just a nice leisurely walk."

LOL. Whenever I was in a car of people that got pulled over in Detroit, we had to explain that we weren't near Livernois and McNichols to buy drugs, rather that we were all students at Detroit Mercy!

Nonetheless, it would be an interesting case study to walk Conner and Gratiot for an hour on a Saturday at noon, and then the following week do the same at Washtenaw and S. University draw your conclusions from your experience rather than perceptions.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I am buzzed but most of the time I'm not. The only times I was around the infamous connor and gratiot was on a return trip by bike from downtown to the shores. I have just found that you can walk where ever you like, or ride a bike. I know that I got some strange looks from time to time but I would just smile back. I don't go cruising for dope so I don't know how that goes and since my only vice is beer that's not why I'm there. I just like to take walks in places I've never been or people say are too scary to go. Most of my friends and family are suburbanites and amazed that I have never had problems walking around and of the neighborhoods. I not going to lie and say it's never made me nervous or a little on edge, but being alert is never a bad thing. I have found that as long as you act like it's not a big deal that you are there or anywhere people accept it.

Actually the closest I've been to being accosted was while walking around Belfast, it was 2002 and the Irish world cup game was that day so I had their green jersey on. Guess I wandered into a Protestant area. Some guys gave me a hard time but let me off with a warning since I was an american and they were rooting for the futbol team too.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's this about Ann Arbor being a city? Everyone knows its a suburb of Detroit...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, well I give up. It's early morning on a Monday... I guess I just can't convince everyone that their preconceptions of Detroit might be a little far fetched and extreme.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is why we all know that Detroit in all actuality is relatively safe."

Uh, relative to what? There was a thread last week where people were saying that it's not unusual to hear gunshots in Woodbridge, one of Detroit's BETTER neighborhoods, every couple of weeks...perhaps relative to other areas of Detroit, that sounds safe...relative to the suburbs, though, not so much...

I know it's not as unsafe as the perception created in the media, but it's still pretty fucking bad and pretending like it's all perception is absurd...is it really necessary to post violent crime stats to illustrate this point?

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge is not one of Detroit's better neighborhoods. It's one of Downtown's better residential neighborhoods, but I highly doubt you'll here as much gunfire on the Far East side or in the University District as you would anywhere within Grand Blvd.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing is, I never saw anyone pull a gun on anyone in the University District in my five years at Detroit Mercy living, living there and going to school. In living in Charlotte, NC I did see it happen within six months. So my perception is that Detroit is safer than Charlotte. That is a perception based on my experience and not stats. This is how I envision everyone would gather their perceptions. Not from the statistics or stories one hears second hand, but from experience.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge is not one of Detroit's better neighborhoods. It's one of Downtown's better residential neighborhoods, but I highly doubt you'll here as much gunfire on the Far East side or in the University District as you would anywhere within Grand Blvd.

Which is a pretty good distinction that people familiar with the city would make. I would also be interested in seeing the population density of the high crime areas of the city versus the population density of the low crime areas.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.