Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » August 18, Preservation Wayne - Historic Movie Palace Tours » Archive through August 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2 weeks Preservation Wayne will be be presenting their largest annual tour, the Downtown Historic Movie Palace Tour...

(Sorry for the poor crop job!)

This year the tour will once again be 4 1/2 hours, including a lunch stop at the Detroit Opera House. Highlights will include a sneak preview of the remains of the lobby of the Oriental Theatre (first time ever on our tours). And we will have an organist playing the mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer at the Fox.

Another highlight at the Fox is the famous wall next to the stage where famous performers have signed for decades... autographs and messages include those from Elvis, Frank Sinatra, and every Motown star you can think of. The Ilitch's have put protective plexiglass cover over these legendary signatures.

And of course you will view the remains of the Michigan Theatre from the lobby floor, as well as the 3rd level of the auditorium.

I'll be at my usual spot as the theatre gude in the State/Filmore, so I'll be asking if there are any DetroitYes Forumers on the tours.

Make sure to bring your comfortable walking shoes! And PW provides free bottled water!

Be sure to make reservations, which will include your lunch preferences.

See ya there!!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats sounds great, thanks for the info

Gistok

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The walking tour guides will also be stopping in front of the United Artists Theatre/Building.

This year for the first time in at least a decade we can talk about the 2,070 seat Detroit United Artists Theatre POSSIBLY in the future tense, and not the past tense. Time will tell. :-)

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went last year and was planning on bringing several family members and friends this year.

Then I discovered that it was scheduled during the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Hopefully next year the Theatre Tour will be placed on an "off" date so more in town for the cruise can check out our beautiful theatres too.

Gistok

Post Number: 5045
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite84, the first Theatre tours are from 9AM-1:30 PM, that still gives you the rest of Saturday and all of Friday and Sunday to check out the Dream Cruise!

The PW Theatre Tour dates are very much dependent on getting all the theatres available at the same time. That's easier said than done!! :-)

Ordinarily we would probably have had the tour on August 11th (2nd Saturday of the month), but isn't there a daytime Tiger game at Comerica Park that day? That would be the difference of $2 parking at the Fox parking structure (where most of us park), and fending for much more expensive parking elsewhere downtown (and not being able to enter the Michigan Theatre, which will be full up with parked cars).

(Message edited by Gistok on August 07, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Nope, the Tigers play the A's at 7:05.

But by now, that probably wouldn't have made any difference.

(Message edited by SCS100 on August 07, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 5046
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that tidbit Scs100, I have a busload of German's (folk dance troupe here on a cultural exchange) to give a downtown tour on August 11th (9:30AM-4:30PM), so that makes that easier to do without congestion from a Tiger game. One of the things I like to do (this will be my 3rd German tourists tour in the last 5 years), is get them all line up in front of one of the Tiger statues at the park (the one with the paw swooping down) and take a group photo.

Visits to the Ford House in GPS, a Lakeshore Dr., a Belle Isle drive around, a Guardian Building and Fox Theatre tour and a People Mover ride around downtown round out the tour.

Then I have another bus load of Germans on Aug. 22 (a 15 member brass band) to take around...

Hmmm, maybe I better find out if the Germans have seen the movie "8 Mile"... and ask Mr. Pieroni permission for a Michigan Theatre Tour as well (only to the safe areas that the PW Tour shows).

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Tigers, but Kenny Chesney @Ford Field, starting at 2:30pm.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been in and out of town for the past month (work/vacation), and was wondering whatever happened with that special basement tour of the old Michigan theater that was in the works? per some thread post not all that distant long ago.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok's got it right. Theater Tour planners had to pick a date that a) didn't have major happenings at the Theaters themselves and b) avoided major sports facility happenings... ergo the 18th. They were aware of the Dream Cruise conflict, but felt that if someone really wanted to do both, they could. Apologies to those who feel they were denied their cake and ability to eat it too...

Gistok

Post Number: 5050
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Raptor56, but that tour was canned. The basement and upper reaches of the balcony are way too dangerous for a tour. I got my glasses knocked off twice by tangling steel framework, and the upper reaches of the former theatre had 40 foot drop offs if you entered the wrong corridors. Also there were live electrical equipment (some items such as a sump pump for the sub-basement have to maintain electrical current) that was within easy reach.

And I'm not sure what was in the dust particles I was breathing during my brief visit to the underground rubble filled area. We would likely have had to wear face masks as well. I had some sort of gritty residue in my hair and on my neck that itched like hell.

See the Michigan Theatre thread for photos I took that shows the rubble filled areas.

For a safe tour, take the PW tour which will show you the safe areas of the Michigan.

Gistok

Post Number: 5096
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tours are this Saturday....

Start times are:

9:00 AM
9:30 AM
10:00 AM
10:30 AM
11:00 AM
11:30 AM

(Message edited by Gistok on August 14, 2007)

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my ticket already.

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id love to go but with the lodge closed and dream cruise going on I just see it being a nightmare to get there...

Lodge... SHUT DOWN
696 to 75? Gonna be hell going past Woodward.
Just not easy for us in the Western Metro Detroit burbs to get there = (

I will look forward to it next year!

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't use traffic as an excuse :-)
It can't be that bad. So you leave an extra 15min for your trip :-)

I really hope the traffic is not hell, because I am having my dad drive me into downtown Detroit from our hotel up near Sterling Heights.

Gistok

Post Number: 5097
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You give up too easy! :-)

There's always the Southfield (M-39) southbound, to the Jeffries (I-96) eastbound, to the Fisher (I-75)... and get off at the Grand River Exit for 3 blocks until Woodward Ave. Parking at the Fox Theatre... $2.

This will be our first year to visit the remains of the Oriental Theatre... we may not have that opportunity to do that next year.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ How about 8 Mile to 75??
There is a million ways to get downtown... I agree, traffic is never and excuse when you are coming downtown.

(Message edited by MotorCityDave on August 14, 2007)

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot wait to attend this tour! The weather forecast is looking perfect for this day.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 372
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jyogi, 696 past Woodward shouldn't pose a problem (now if you were getting off at Woodward that might be another story). I live in Redford and my BF is in Ferndale; 99.9% of the time I take 696 to his place and in 3 years worth of Dream Cruises I have never had traffic problems getting past Woodward.

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK
See you there.
I am on the 9:30 tour and am bringing my father along.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have fun and everyone fill me in (post pics!); unfortunately I will not be there because I will be hauling my behind over to Fort Wayne tomorrow morning to help with the workday activities there.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there. I have been reading about the theatres and for 3 years now. I can't wait to see them in person!

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great time! Took my mom and sister-in-law (home from Germany) on the 9:00 tour. We loved it!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 872
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was curious about the Oriental. How was it?

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Photographs of this event?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 711
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll post a link to mine shortly, they're uploading now. Mind, I am far from a professional photographer, and it certainly wasn't the greatest camera. plus, i had some battery and memory card issues at the Fox, but I'm happy with most of them.

There wasn't much left of the Oriental's lobby, and I only have a few pictures of it. However, it was interesting nonetheless, and i'm thankful to the owner (Milner) for allowing us access - and for the OJ and cream puffs. (i love cream puffs) :-)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 712
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i took a walk around before hand, killing some time, and took a few other pics too, and got a few other buildings as i was walking around, so they're mixed in here too. I had even less of the Oriental than I thought, but there's a few. Wish I had gotten at least an overview of the whole thing.
http://flickr.com/photos/scottrreed/sets/72157601540503223/

edit: moved pictures to flickr

(Message edited by scottr on August 19, 2007)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr, your photographs were just fine and your selection was good. It appears you were able to capture a large variety of shots. Thank you very much.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 793
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures, thanks so much for taking the time to take and post them for those of us who couldn't make the tour.
The Opera house lighting, colors and view from the stage are awesome.
Michigan Theater is surreal.

Gistok

Post Number: 5135
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah... so much to post... but I'm soooo pooped... as my 9th year as the State (Filmore) guide, I have to say I am impressed with the Filmore folks...

Got to meet several Forumers, although some still Lurked! :-)

Scottr, that Orange Juice at the Oriental was actually OJ mixed with Champagne. I know, because when they closed the room up, somebody had to help finish off the leftovers of those fancy plastic champagne glasses... :-)