Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fieger Indicted « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops

http://www.nytimes.com/aponlin e/us/AP-Fieger-Indicted.html

"Attorney Geoffrey Fieger, best known for representing assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian, was indicted on charges of conspiring to make more than $125,000 in illegal contributions to the 2004 presidential campaign of Democrat John Edwards.

The indictment was returned Aug. 21 and unsealed Friday. It names both Fieger and Vernon Johnson, a partner in Fieger's Southfield-based law firm."

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we can scratch that name off the potential next mayor list.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plaintiff bar at its best...gotta support your brethren.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure he's getting a good laugh out of this.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate that this guy is the face of the legal profession in Michigan...he's a total embarrassment to honorable members of the bar whose images are unfairly tarnished through association by this clown...if he's convicted of this, he could have his law license revoked for a few years...not that I'd wish that on any attorney except for in extreme cases, but it wouldn't be all bad if that happened

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure gonna miss that commercial where he talks about he and John Edwards are fighting for rights of trial lawyers.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feiger is like Kwame, never bet against him when he's down.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freerepublic.com/fo cus/f-news/1048234/posts

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never bet against him ESPECIALLY when he's down. he's been building this notion of a vendetta against him for years, with a fair amount of success.

of course, since he's been charged, he must be guilty. oh, wait, the guy in charge is a known liar...and why did it take two years since the raids? one year i could maybe see, but two? maybe they had it much earlier but didn't want to risk losing during the election year...

(Message edited by rb336 on August 24, 2007)

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like with Michael Vick, the conviction/plea rate with Federal indictments is 95%. This couldn't happen to a bigger asshole. Go Feds!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't like him but I'm voting for him" Had to be the stupidest catch phrase of all times for anyone trying to get elected for governor. Or any office for that matter.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5522
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American reformers are always vilified in lifetime. In death, they'll name a law school for him. Give him some credit for taking on Dr. Kevorkian who railed against the established order bigtime.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He can't have meant to knowingly break the law, he is not that dumb. Maybe he was arrogant enough to think he was above the law, or "too important" to be prosecuted. Just desserts.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeffrey Fieger knew exactly what he was doing.
He took on Jack K. because he couldn't buy all the free publicity he got.
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone, except other lawyers, would vote for Edwards, a slip and fall lawyer for president.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is getting the big picture on this. Fieger is a John Edward's campaign supporter in Michigan. We have all been listening with amazement and disbelief about the story of Attorney General Gonzo firing 8 federal prosecutors for not pursuing political prosecutions. This is the flip side of that story, about the 85 federal prosecutors (including the one in southeast Michigan) having no problem with using their office for political ends. What better way to smear Edwards in a state than to smear his most visible supporter?

I would suspect that the Feds will be be "investigating" Feiger for the next 15 months, (including regularly-timed "leaks" to the Nolan Findlays of the world spaced every 6 to 8 weeks) and then quietly drop the investigation about, oh November 15, 2008. Like Carl Marlinga, Fieger will be found not guilty, but by then the damage will have been done.

Yeah, I know, Fieger is loud, egotistical, loves publicity, and none of you like him, but if that is the criteria for putting politicians in jail than L. Brooks should be serving a 40-year sentence.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you're buying Fieger's spin that this is Bush targeting?

I don't buy that - it's already been publicized that Edwards didn't know (which is entirely plausible with the way it was done) and Edwards isn't a leading candidate, especially in Michigan, no matter how much the mainstream likes to call him one. For all his bluster Fieger's barely a blip on the political radar screen.

(Message edited by lilpup on August 26, 2007)

Alan55

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are assuming that the Bush administration will only be targeting the Democratic front runners. Rather than try to predict who the eventual Democratic candidate is, it is easier for them to cover all of their bases and take their shots where they can get them, and as many as they can get. Fieger is an easy target.

The fact that it's been publicized that "Edwards didn't know" is irrelevant. The Detroit News has already splashed this story all over the front section of their paper, taking pains to link the names of "Fieger" and "Edwards", firmly linking the two in the public's mind. As when Marlinga was prosecuted, the News had two or three full pages of related articles, including full color pictures and pundit's opinions. When Marlinga was acquitted, they posted an article or two.

Whether you like him or not, Fieger did not get rich and successful by making this kind of freshman mistakes.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whether you like him or not, Fieger did not get rich and successful by making this kind of freshman mistakes.

I think it was purely ego driven.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by Buyamerican on August 26, 2007)

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9606
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Fieger as well as what's left of Edward's presidential hopes:

"Bye bye baby, baby goodbye, bye baby baby bye bye..."

-The Four Seasons

Alan55

Post Number: 397
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rudy Vallee would fit into your demographic better, old man.

Heh, heh, heh.

(Good news - banana pudding for dessert in the dining hall!! No messing up your dentures!!)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Fieger must really be pleased about this. Ask a undergrade he majored in theater at Central Michigan, so playing the role of "victim" comes at just the right time in his fading acting/lawyer career.

Congrats to Geoffy, even if he loses, he wins in his ongoing attempt to unseat 1 800 call sam as the first call for the dog bitten.

Alan55

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ask a undergrade he majored in theater at Central Michigan..."

You assume this is a bad thing. Take off the blinders - acting (even bad acting) has served the right-wing well - note Ronnie Reagan, Arnold, and that all time great Republican statesman, Fred Grandy (aka Gopher on "The Love Boat").

Look at Fred Thompson - He's made good money acting when he has absolutely no acting skills (and also questionable political skills, based on his Senate career.) Maybe Fred should have taken acting lessons in school.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Central? I thought he went to Michigan.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is not brilliant by any definition. He is very aggressive and ambitious (from a positive perspective). He is obnoxious and shallow from the negative point of view.

Gnome

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan55-

I don't assume being an actor is a bad thing, not at all, I simply want to point out that our dear friend Geoffry's flair for the dramatic comes from a grounding in the theater.

Many folks here have called into question Fieger's character, I assert that he is simply an actor that plays the part of victim quite well. It is a role he has played over-and-over, and he has practiced it in court rooms all across our fair land. It takes practice to get a role just right; think about John Wayne, he played the same role 150 times before he got it right in "True Grit".

I happen to think that theater training is great for any attorney - or political aspirant.

Finally, Alan55, you failed to mention Sonny Bono, a true quadruple threat: singer, actor, congressman and - of course - skier.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not doubt that the Fieger investigation was politically motivated. The Bush administration has perpetrated countless abuse of executive power for political purposes.

That said, what is Mr. Fieger's defense to the alleged crimes? Yes, Mr. Fieger has been singled out for something that is also common among Republicans as well. If the Justice Department wanted, it could find dozens of local well-to-do Republicans who funnel money to Republican candidates through their closely held businesses by bundling "contributions" from their management employees who get reimbursed through a "bonus." It's also a rampant practice for local and state elections in the real estate development and construction industries. Regardless for Mr. Fieger, it's still illegal. The feds have the financial documents. So then, what is his defense? Because most of the facts about the reimbursements will likely be undisputed, it would appear that Mr. Fieger will need to attack the campaign finance laws as unconstitutional, or he will have to exploit some kind of technical flaw in the charges in order to escape a conviction. An interesting battle for the lawyers. Will Mr. Fieger keep things high profile or will the case proceed quietly?

Anybody have a link to the indictment?

Lilpup

Post Number: 2654
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fieger's a small fish in a huge ocean - Bush wouldn't bother with him when there are bigger fish to fry. Fieger hasn't been effective in any of his political undertakings.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5530
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is pure politics, plain and simple. Feiger is an American hero. He is a popular, sarcastic rockstar lawyer on national tv. He's the William Kuntzler and Jerry Spence, Mark Garegos of our times. He loves a fight and loves even more, the camera.

A bad day for Fieger is a day out of the spotlight. He hates the Greek Isles because he can't talk to anybody and there's nothing but beach to walk on.

jjaba, observer.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't forget the state's number 1 theater major--Gov. peroxide!

In five years, you are going to be BLOWN AWAY!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan, you've got to be kidding - Edwards a front runner? He's a distant 3rd and will be passed by Richardson before long. He has apparently undertaken a slow course of self destruction by being even more blatantly duplicitous about himself and his actions than most politicians and made himself even more laughable by sending his wife out to claim he's more of a woman than Hillary and more black than Obama.

Gnome

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Ms. Granholm was a theater major.

Tell us more

Alan55

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome: "Many folks here have called into question Fieger's character..."

Wow, what news. Attacking a high-profile politico's character, Gnome. Let's work really hard and try to come up with one modern politician whose character hasn't been attacked.

And Swingline, you had it right in your first line, "alleged crimes". From there, you had Feiger already convicted, requiring him to defend himself, and from there, having convicted him, requiring him to attack the law he ALLEGEDLY broke. (Interestingly, you then agreed that most probably this was a political prosecution.)

Look, you may not like Fieger; what has that have to do with a politician's electability and success? Can anyone with a straight face actually say they LIKED Engler, and thought he had a "good character"? If that were the political criteria, then Engler would still be on the farm having spent 35 years shoveling out stalls.

The Bush prosecutor is taking on high-profile liberals where he can find them. Last year Marlinga, this year Fieger, next year, who knows. Partisan politics aided by your tax dollars.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know, it is not illegal to pool support in the way feiger did. they will have to prove, beyond reasonable doubt that a)the donations were coerced or b) employees were given bonuses for donating. both of those are pretty hard to prove

Lilpup

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the coercion is a necessary point, just that the donors were repaid the donated amounts by Fieger's firm.

Alan55

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allegedly.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant that repayments are what needs to be proven, not the coercion.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 2676
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb, if it were not illegal, an indictment would not have been issued.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5536
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Fieger topic, what do we know about Dr. Death out of prison? Where is he? What's he doing?

jjaba.

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey don't anybody speak for me. I like Geoff. Like Dr. Jack, too. Met 'em both at the Knack concert @ St. Andrews 'bout ten years ago, along with Geoff's brother Doug singing and playing a mean lead guitar. Geoff was campaigning at the time and we had some pretty good yucks down front.

This is pure politics. I hope Geoff comes back swinging with some combinations of his own.

"Can anyone with a straight face actually say they LIKED Engler, and thought he had a "good character"? If that were the political criteria, then Engler would still be on the farm having spent 35 years shoveling out stalls. "

HAH!

Alan55

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Batty: "Rb, if it were not illegal, an indictment would not have been issued"

Oh, please!! Just crawled out of the turnip patch, did you?

Gnome

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allan55

Why so harsh? Do you get pleasure from slapping around everyone that doesn't toe the line to your point of view.

Tell me, is it tough being liberal AND closed minded at the same time?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan, what's your point? Are you trying to say that Mr. Fieger did not commit the acts alleged in the indictment? You are deluding yourself if you think that Mr. Fieger did not assemble various "straw" donors to the Edwards campaign and then reimburse them for their donations. These facts will be relatively easy to prove.

By suggesting that I have Mr. Fieger "already convicted," you would be wrong if you think that I do not understand that the government has to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. Satisfying that standard is often difficult, but this case might be easier than many. The government will have plenty of direct evidence that will consist of financial documents that provide proof of the reimbursements, and it will have the testimony of many of the "donors." These people are not going to stroll into federal court and perjure themselves by testifying that they received no quid pro quo from Mr. Fieger or that Mr. Feiger had nothing to do with their $2,000 contributions to Mr. Edwards. This won't be a case where the defendant can rest without calling any witnesses and then attempt to persuade the jury that some kind of reasonable doubt exists.

I generally agree with Mr. Fieger's politics and admire his skill as an attorney. I'm not enjoying the fact that he's been indicted. But his hand got caught in the cookie jar, so to speak. He has to come up with a defense, and I don't think it will be that he wasn't taking any cookies.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6406
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happen to LAWyers these days? They can be crooked as a politician. Just bend the rules of the U.S. Constitution and the defend themselves. LAWyers can't be above the law and the same goes for everyone, even diplomats.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 2754
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These days?? Have you been living under a rock??

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did expert witness testimony once for Fieger's law firm and he tried to stiff me on my fee by repeatedly ignoring my calls and bills. His wife alluded to the cheapskate aspect of his personality in jest a few times when he had his Detroit radio show years ago. A lawyer told me that Fieger was a notorious deadbeat on small ticket items like my witness fee and that I should threaten to file a complaint with the lawyer grievance commission if he doesn't pay.

Three days after I spoke to his office manager and threatened to file said type complaint I had a check arrive in the mail. I do not have an ongoing axe to grind with Fieger but he provides substance to the bumpersticker that goes: Ninety percent of lawyers give the other ten percent a bad name.

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't read Fieger's indictment but it appears similar to what Tom Noe here in Toledo was indicted for and who is now serving jail time. I still don't understand the its not illegal argument.

"One of the indictment accused Mr. Noe of giving money to 24 friends and associates, who then made the campaign contributions in their own names. In that way, he skirted the $2,000 limit on individual contributions, prosecutors said.

“The indictment also alleges that Noe wrote several checks in the amounts slightly less than the maximum allowable amount so as to avoid suspension. All together, Noe allegedly contributed $45,400 of his own money through 24 "conduit” donors, the prosecutors said.

Federal investigators also allege Mr. Noe made his friends and associates fill out contribution cards and forms falsely certifying they were making the contributions themselves.

http://www.toledoblade.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200510 27/DEVELOPINGNEwS/51027023

Tom Noe, the GOP fund-raiser at the heart of Ohio's biggest political scandal in a generation, was sentenced today to 27 months in a federal prison for illegally funneling money into President Bush’s re-election campaign.

U.S. District Court Judge David Katz also ordered Noe to pay $136,200 in fines for sending more than $45,000 into a 2003 Bush fund-raiser by using two dozen friends and associates — including several current and former local Republican elected officials — in violation of federal election laws.

http://www.toledoblade.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200609 12/BREAKINGNEWS/60912029

Gnome

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A contact in the Federal prosecutors office told me that the whole investigation was the result of a former Fieger employee, a law student/intern, who didn't want to contribute to Edwards.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Him and Lonnie Bates can share a cell

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geof Fieger, mr. mean, will slander anyone to get his own way. An attorney who was deceived because he felt compelled to contribute( they asked his wife and kids also) because he would be reimbursed the contributions. He found out it was illegal so he asked to to get the money back from the Edwards campaign(he did get it back $4,000. And another thing, why would anyone in their right mind contribute to Edwards?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And another thing, why would anyone in their right mind contribute to Edwards?

Because he is one of the few Democrats running that has a ghost of a chance of winning the general election. American voters are never going to elect a woman or a black man to be President of the United States and the Republicans know it. That's why they are doing everything they can to sabotage Edward's candidacy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.