Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Cold War « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many folks out there remember the missile base on Belle Isle? It was on the east end of the near the Livingston Light. There may have been a tracking station of some type on E. 7 Mile Rd. near Morang.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out http://members.tripod.com/nike hercules/

for a run down of NIKE/HERUCLES missel bases. There were bases in Franklin, Grosse Isle, Auburn Heights and more.

The base in Franklin/Southfield is part of a National Guard facility and is sandwiched between 696 and 11 mile. Until 9/11 the National Guard guys would let you walk around the bunkers.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3459
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been covered many times in other threads. The site near 7 & Morang was a gun site before the Nikes.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem;

What was a "gunsite"?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3462
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before the Nike missiles were available, several anti-aircraft artillery sites were established around the city. Heilmann Field was one of the sites on the northeast side.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.