Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Harper Theater Neighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pharmer_b
Username: Pharmer_b

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in Detroit during the 60's and 70's, I have many fond memories of the neighborhood around the Harper Theater. I took music lessons at the Cailotto Music Studio, which was right across the street from the theater, and even taught some of the beginning students there when I was in high school. My dad always bought his cars from the Raynal Bros. dealership around the corner, and I even bought my first used car there in 1980. Perhaps my favorite place on the block was the Merit Book Store. Long before Barnes and Noble and Borders came to town, this was the place to buy books on the East Side. Neisner's Department Store was also nice, as was the Cunningham's Drug Store at the other end of the block. Does anyone else have fond memories of this neighborhood, or better yet, pictures from the 60's or 70's?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Bonnie Raitt over there with Sippy Wallace in the mid 70's. I ate at a restaurant next door and the folks thought I was one of the roadies. Probably because I was the only white guy around.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took lessons at Cailotto Music but it was not the Detroit location. It was the one on Harper in St. Clair Shores. He sold it to Bart Fiori (played with John Trudell) and it was renamed Bart's Music Stop. Bart died a few years ago.

James Lentini taught there many years before he became a professor at Wayne State.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2446
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pharmer_B noted that in another thread that he graduated from Bishop Gallagher in 1976. Jim Lentini also was in that class. (I'm Class of '75.) I remember Jim as a guitar player in a rock band and as a cross-country runner. Jim is now the Dean of the School of Art, Media, & Music at the College of New Jersey; check out his webpage: http://www.tcnj.edu/~arts/dean /

The Harper Theater is my only recollection of this area as I grew up further east. My dad took me to see Steve McQueen in "Bullitt" at this theatre. When I was in high school, it was still a viable movie theatre until the mid-70's by which time it turned into Harpo's, where we saw both local bands and national acts perform. Fond memories!!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5181
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Saenger Halle", a German choral and social society had their hall on Harper somewhere near Chalmers, but I was so young when I went there, I don't remember it's exact location.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 280
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played on a hockey team in the late 50's that was sponsored by a paint store that was located somewhere right around the Harper...Easttown Paint...it might have been on the east side of Chalmers.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there was an Eastown Floor Covering on Harper just north of Chalmers.

I recall Merit books being located on the corner of Chalmers and Harper in about the mid-sixties, then they moved down to the middle of the block. The reason I recall them being on the corner was because someone painted a Communist hammer and sickle on the side of the building in protest because (supposedly) Merit sold "leftist" books.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad worked as an usher at the Harper Theater in the in 1950's. My Mom worked at Neisner's in the 1950's. My maternal Grandmother worked at Raynal Brothers from about 1960 to 1980. Anyone who bought a car there during that time would have most likely had their paperwork typed up/processed by my Grandmother. I think the store next to Cunningham's was a shoe store at one time. By the late 1970's whatever was there had gone out of business and the location became one of the seminal baseball card shops in the city. I spent a lot of time there. The baseball store eventually went out of business and was replaced by a church.

What corner was the Cunningham's on - Coplin or Newport?

Ookpik

Gistok

Post Number: 5185
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the theatre last night (I-94 had an accident, so I took Harper) and there was nothing going on there. Is Harpos still used as a concert hall?

The Harper Theatre, one of the last outlying giant theatre's left on the east side (with the demise of the Vogue and Woods).

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik: Cunningham's was on the corner of Newport and Harper. My old girlfriend lived on the corner of Wilshire and Newport, and I turned that corner many times.

Pharmer_b: Hey, glad you brought up the subject ara. I grew up in that area, lived at 6110 Drexel from 1940-1958, and my folks lived there til 1973.
The Harper Theatre was our favorite show,(unless we chose the Chandler for a particular time to enjoy a triple feature with extra cartoons for half the price), but most often we went to the Harper.
I worked at Neisner's, had a Detroit Times route,(Connor to Dickerson, Evanston, Hampshire, and Camden), then worked at Buck's Service, Harper and Coplin through High School (Denby).
Fond memories from my youth, but the last time I drove through the area, not much left to compare with how things were.
I remember when there were wall-to-wall stores from Chalmers to Dickerson with just a few vacant lots now and then.
I went to school with Bob Raynal, whose Dad (Harry) and Uncle (Pol) owned Raynal Brothers.
Since my Father was a Plymouth guy, (worked for Briggs) he always dealt with Raynal Bros.
Thanks for the memory jog!

Senior

Looneyl
Username: Looneyl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 5931 Marlborough...remember houses being moved down the street to make way for I94. I also remember that one could get a free pass to the Harper's Sat. horror& scifi movies of the '50's by purchases made at Cunninghams.
I never did see the end of Terror X the Unknown.

Senior

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looneyl:

Did you know the Kellers or Kohlers from your old neighborhood?

Senior

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a great chineese resturant just across hayes on Harper called Great China. It was some of the best chineese food I've ever eaten. Anyone know if its still there?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior: My parents had close friends named Carl & Edith Keller...I don't know exactly where they lived but it seems like it was somewhere in that area.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife's family grew up in the neighborhood during the 50's & 60's, living on both Maiden & Hampshire (near Newport) at different times. I grew up nearby closer to Denby, but moved into the Harper-Chalmers neighborhood in 1976. We lived there until 1982 at Dickerson & Elmdale. Lots of businesses came & went. We used to eat at Carden's at Harper & Chalmers as a kid, as well as the myriad of restaurants that occupied the corner of Harper & Dickerson. Chandler Bowling was a popular spot, as was the theater (of course). Did a lot of grocery shopping at Albert's on Dickerson & Chelsea and my wife always remembers the "candy" stores on the way home from school (Gooddale) at Dickerson & Longview, as well as a few smaller stores interspersed through the neighborhood. Our Saviour Lutheran was THE spot for all kinds of after-school activities, including roller skating. My wife & I were married & had our reception there in 1980 (while I was a pastor at that church) and our kids went to school there for a few years. All of our friends & family had some connection to that neighborhood, including my parents who were also married at Our Saviour in 1942 and my grandparents who went to church there when they lived on Dickerson & Goethe in the 30's & 40's. We really loved that neighborhood and had a hard time seeing how some of our old houses were trashed when we were there a few years ago. But you can't go back and expect it to be the same.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little younger. St. Matthew Class of '83.

I remember Cunningham's and J.K. Sales on Harper near Chalmers. Later in the '70s and early '80s, there was a discount grocer in the neighborhood called Simonte's. There was also a clothing store around there where all the Catholic school boys came to buy their blue shirts and blue pants.

Anybody know the name of that store?

Anybody remember Elmo's?
I think my mom worked at Elmo's back in the mid-'60s.

Pharmer_b

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Elmo's; I was going to mention it in my first post but ended up leaving it out. Thanks for reminding me!

Severi01
Username: Severi01

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been lurking here for a while now, but I just couldn't pass up this thread.

We moved into a house on the south side of I-94 in 1966 and lived there until July of 1970 when my family moved to the 7 Mile/Livernois area. The house at 5716 Maryland (I can't believe that I still remember the address) burned down many years ago and now is a vacant lot just off of Outer Drive.

I remember walking up Outer Drive to Stellwagen Elementary (now Ronald Brown Academy) where some classes were held in trailers out back due to the number of students at the school. Sledding at Balduck Park was one of our favorite winter activities. I also remember my family crossing I-94 on the pedestrian bridge just off of Lakepointe to get ice cream at a party store off of Harper. Those were some good times. Of course, I also remember having a tank parked at the Sears store which I believe used to be located at Mack and Moross in 1967.

Gistok

Post Number: 5208
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elmo's was mentioned extensively on another thread. It was located on Harper and Morang (Morang ends directly where Elmo's is located).

It used to be a grocery store/meat market, and then later became a (small) Secretary of State's office with a meat market still located in the back portion of the building. Then I believe it became a video store. The building still exists, near (kitty-corner) the 48224 Kensington Post Office. Can't remember what's in there now.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're talking about the Elmo's at Harper and Chalmers, which is roughly three miles west of Morang.

(Message edited by harpernottingham on August 28, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 5210
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha, I didn't know there was more than one...

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there also an Elmo's on Jefferson? I remember going to the one on Chalmers with my dad and Grandpa. I miss those times.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, that wasnt Elmos at Harper and Morang. Im trying to remember the name. I took my motorcycle road test in the parking lot there.

Pharmer_b

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421
I think the market you're referring to was called Embo's. As for Elmo's, there was also one on Jefferson near Chalmers, but I don't remember exactly where.

Gistok

Post Number: 5217
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh!! Yes it was Embo's Market at Harper and Morang! :-)

Pgn421, that was a small gravel lot (between Embo's/Sec'y of State and the bar on the corner of Harper/Neff, wasn't it? Or was it paved by then?

(Message edited by Gistok on August 28, 2007)

Senior

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you Harper Theater area folks remember their parking lot on Harper between Eastlawn and Newport?

We played "leap-frog" on the way to and from the Harper using the line of aluminum painted water tanks they used as boundary buffers.

Before Eastland came about there were many stores up and down Harper in the Theater area, Wrigley's, Winkelman's, Van Horn's, Cole & Erwin, Neisner's, Kresge's, Western Auto, Kinsel's, Crawford Clothes, etc, etc.

I know Eastland didn't do the area any favors, but the digging of the "big ditch", was the straw that broke the Camel's back, I feel.

Senior

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a Singer Sewing Machine store? They also sold vacuum cleaners.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The gravel lot between Embo's and Elam's was paved in 2002 when when we opened a laundromat in the old Embo's, Sec. of State, video store, building. In fact, Elam's is in the process of a transfer of ownership for the first time in 70 years. The found died in the last two years. One of his two sons has ran it for a number of years. Not sure why he is selling.

Gistok

Post Number: 5230
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info 7051!

I remember that block of stores going back to the 1960's. Also on that block where Embo's used to be was a Milk Depot, a Barber Shop, a Flemings Drug Store, and some other stores.

It's amazing how many liquor licenced establishments there are between Neff and Cadieux! I guess that many of the liquor licenses (which cannot leave the city), have moved to sites along the perimeter of the city, as retail strips farther towards the city center have deteriorated.

Pharmer_b

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that was quite a vibrant section of Harper. I also remember the G & H Beer store, and the other side of Harper featured the original Harper Sport (now at 9 Mile and Mack in SCS), and Geneva's Hamburgers (still there!) Further down was the Vogue Theater, which is worthy of it's own thread if there hasn't already been one.

Gistok

Post Number: 5243
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pharmer_b, I couldn't remember the name of that store. As a kid I bought penny candy in that store. I still remember the smell of (spilled) beer permeating that place.

Pharmer_b

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok:
Thanks for reminding me about the smell! To this day the smell of stale beer instantly transports me to the G & H Beer store!

Gistok

Post Number: 5248
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid growing up on Marseilles in the 1960's, I remember the Vogue very well. I even remember a coin shop in the commercial portion of the theatre block.

One of my favorite places to go to was Earl's Bike Shop at the corner of Harper and Audobon. They sold LEGO there as well, and I remember that every time I got 50 cents, I would go to Earl's to get another spare parts pack of LEGO.

And of course there was Wrigley's Supermarket (later Bruno's), and the long time Wrigley's Drug Store.

I also hung out at 7/Mack Center. A long DetroitYES thread have been devoted to 7/Mack with lots of pictures.

Pharmer_b

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok:
Thanks for the tip on the 7/Mack thread; I hung out there as well in the 70's. In fact, I still do hang out there is a sense, since I work at the St. John Moross campus. I'll check out the 7/Mack thread for sure!

Pharmer_b

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to be a pain, but I can't find the 7 Mack thread. Can anyone help me out?:-)

Smokescreen
Username: Smokescreen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior: If you are who I think you are, we used to hang out together. I lived at 5966 Lakeview from 1946 to 1960. Your mom & dad were always very kind to me. You also had a dog named Brownie. Other places near the Harper Theater were, right across the street "Swans Restaurant" and next door to that was the "Base Hit Bar"
Back where we lived was "The Grand Drive-In" & Jerry's Coffee Shop" on Harper & Lakeview. "Gene's Nash Shell Station" on Harper & Eastlawn. And don't forget the "Harper Drexel Market" & "Henry's Drug Store" across the street from them was "Echelmeyers Hardware Store" and Nicholos Tavern.

Looneyl
Username: Looneyl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior, I was pretty young but I remember the names, Burke, Creed, Edges, and Frock. I was 7 when we moved to Eastwood.

Senior

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smokescreen: I only knew one guy who lived at 5966 Lakeview, so you must be him! Great to know you're around, where the hell are you now? Our old neighborhood was really a super place to grow up, but have you seen it lately?

Yeah, Henry's and Kay Bros. Drug Store were two places we dropped a lot of bucks at for ice cream and candy. Do you remember the time you went "blind" eating ice cream, and I had to lead you out of Kay's?

It's a good thing, long term memory, and I'm glad mine still functions.

Senior

Smokescreen
Username: Smokescreen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior: I knew it had to be you. I'm retired and living in Clinton Twp. now. I drove through the old neighborhood about a year ago. Not at all the way I remembered it. Hern street, next to your old home is a mess. I drove past Hamilton School and not a soul was on the playground. I remember we used to fight just to get onto the playground to play baseball. It was always crowded with pick up games. The only recognizable building's left on Harper from the old days is Harpo's and what used to be a restaurant on the corner of Harper & Dickerson.
Chandler Park Drive still looks nice, but nowhere near as nice as in the 40's & 50's. The Raynal Brothers old home (Newport & Chandler Park Dr) still looks good. I was surprised at how many homes were torn down on Eastlawn between Harper & Chandler Park Dr. It's good to find your still around too. Where are you living now. Still in Michigan?

Senior

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smokescreen: (Gordy) I left Michigan in '73, been in Englewood, Fl. since then. You mentioned the old restaurant at Harper and Dickerson, remember when Helen Marinas's parents owned it? She was a good looker, and waitressed there.
I looked on "google earth" and it looks like a lot of the homes in the old area have been torn down. You mentioned the "Base Hit Bar", I was more familiar with Felsen-Keller's and the Atomic, which my Dad patronized, or Ted & Len's show bar, where Don Rocheleau and I dropped a few dollars. Hard to imagine what all was right there for us back in those days.
Do you remember the Duschang's that lived across the street from you at 5969? He was Production Mgr., and I was Sales Mgr. at Inland Container in Hamtramck, late 60's, early 70's.
At the risk of spam bombardment, my e-mail address is stiver244@comcast.net Drop a note with yours, and we can re-hash some more oldies.

Senior

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.