Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lawson's in your neighborhood? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

I was just reminiscing over what fun I used to have riding my bike up to our neighborhood Lawson's to stock up on Pixie Stix, Garbage Pail Kids, and the latest issue of Mad Magazine or Dyno-mite.

I had wondered if Lawson's was a Detroit founded chain but discovered that like Kroger, it was an Ohio export. Can you believe it's now an active chain in Japan second to 7-11?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L awson_(store)

Anyway, I wondered how prevalent the store was across the city; at the time, I lived on the Northwest side. Were they rather ubiquitous or did we just have a smattering?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4810
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember as a kid going to the Lawson's on Pembroke and Livernois and 8 mile...

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me, it was the Lawson's on 9 mile and Rosewood/Wyoming. Later on, it was the 12 mile and Wakefield store. Pretty wild to hear that Lawson's is so popular in Japan and apparently non-existent here.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 826
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Lawsons in Madison Heights when I was a youngster.

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one on Cherry Hill Rd east of Wayne Rd in Westland in the '70s

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it seems they were pretty much all around the metro area. Thanks!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 600
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East side of Lahser Road at Santa Clara, 2 blocks north of the Redford Theater and Grand River. During the 1970s, was that a Lawson's, or maybe a 7-11?

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly and Morang was my Lawson's. ;)

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Near the corner of Warren and Venoy Roads in Westland was the one in my neighborhood. I worked there for two summers when I was going to college. I quit after a robbery by three guys who always hung out ALL NIGHT LONG until 5 or 6 in the morning nearly every night. I couldn't believe what stupid lack of a life they had to hang out at the side of Lawson's. One of those guys eventually raped and murdered his own sister.

That Lawson's store is now owned by Middle-eastern guys.

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Lawsons was at Joy rd and Wayne rd on the Westland/Livonia border. The empty building sat for a long time but finally was torn down a couple years ago. A 7-Eleven replaced it.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one at Ryan and Chicago (13 1/2 mile). Now a party store.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux and E. Warren. Now an In & Out.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Ecorse Road in Allen Park, just west of Allen Road.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4031
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lahser at Santa Clara...my buds and i would ride our bikes to Real Home Bakery on Lahser and Grand River, buy sweet rolls, then proceed to Lawson's, where we would get 19 cent pints of "Orange Drink" (Sugar, water and orange food coloring). Our sugary feast would then take place on the north side of Lawson's.
We would do this nearly every week day during the summer, I like to think that we were contributing to the wellbeing of our dentists.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Barnesfoto. Lawson's and no self control against Now & Laters I'm sure paid for a healthy portion of my dentist's vacation home.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4814
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the one on livernois and Pembroke is an In N Out as well now...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9930
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They all had that distinct ramp for unloading the delivery trucks...I cannot for the life of me remember where they were near the Aviation Subdivision...centered on Meyers/Miller and Tireman, where Littlefield and Esper Blvd cross.

I'm sure it was on Tireman...between Schafer and Chase/Hubble.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,
I'm from the Aviation sub too, but I can't remember a Lawson's on Tireman. The party store on Tireman at Chase (on the Dearborn side) was at one time a 7/11. The Lawson's I remember was (I think) on Donald and Chase, near Ford Woods.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now & Laters, Charms Blow-Pops, Starburst Blow-Pops, Starburst Chews, Hostess Pies, and Faygo Pop. During the pre-teen to early-teen years, these candies made for the after-school diet before getting home in the late afternoon.

The Lahser and Santa Clara Lawson's was a destination for students at Redford High School (RHS). There were many places for candy or food nearby RHS. The Lawson's was about a 5 to 10 minute walk.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor Trail and Perrin, Westland. They had great cider in glass bottles.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Houston-Whittier/Laing - Eastside!! We'd cruise up to Lawson's after school & load up on - bubs-daddy, maryjane's & Necco!

Brightonirish
Username: Brightonirish

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wyandotte, Northline (Fordline) and Electric during the 80's

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember something about a kid getting poison candy on Halloween, back in the 80s, that was sold at a Lawson's. It might have been an urban legend of some sort, though.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of two more... 13 Mile & Main in Royal Oak and 11 Mile & Campbell, also in Royal Oak.

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Lawson's building in my childhood neighborhood is still in use as a party store on the corner of Fielding and Plymouth Road in Detroit.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom used to send me on my bike for half gallons of ice cream to the one in Roseville on Utica road. Just north of Gratiot and the Roseville movie theatre. In fact, once when I was a kid I stole a package of red pistachio peanuts from the Lawsons on the way home from the show. Mom knew I didnt have any money after the show and when I finally made it home with red fingers from the dye, she grilled me till I confessed. She them drove me back to the Lawson to tell my story to the clerc and pay for the pistachios. I was caught red handed with those damn pistachios. :-)

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there one at Cadieux and East Warren?

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...I believe it's an In and out now.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5844
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Mile & Shiawassee on the southwest corner, but prior to that I remember it being some sort of fried chicken establishment that my parents used to bring home for dinner from time to time.

Chad
Username: Chad

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this thread got me humming the Lawsons Big O jingle about the orange juice that makes a 40 hour trip to Lawsons. I can't remember all the words and it'll drive mme crazy now!!

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone here will come through for you, Chad. Sadly, it's not me.... :-)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South side of Cherry Hill, east of Wayne Road in Westland.

Corktown_paddy
Username: Corktown_paddy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Berkley, on Coolidge between 11mile and Catalpa
Also one on 12 mile near Greenfield.

The chocolate milk in the one pint cartons was the best.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.