Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » MCS contact? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any idea who to contact for legal entry into the station. Is it through the city? Obviously with the rash of movies being shot there over the last 3 years someone has a contact. I'm interested in doing a redux of the Wayne State art project. It would not be the same thing but just the basic idea of revisiting the station several years later with new ideas and new emphasis placed on the building and art in the city. Im sure there would be a rather large insurance policy to work out that may make this prohibitive but its worth a try.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 531
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

m, i would try contacting m. maroun's secretary... he's the owner. i don't actually think that the city has any control over the building.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, Do you know that particular phone number/ email address?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, the city only owns all of the land around it and not the building itself.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I knew Matty owned it I just can't find a contact anywhere online. I've attempted to contact through CenTra, Inc in the past but haven't had any luck. I thought someone on the forum might have a contact. if you dont want it posted on a public forum you can email me at m.doyle (at) mac dot come

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 358
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you are successful in your attempts. I have wondered about legal entry before. Let us know if you have any luck.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 900
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Central Trucking in Warren. I'm not close to a phone book or I'd get it for you.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5189
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to remember the name, but couldn't. If not Central Trucking (as 3WC mentioned), try Centra Trucking. For some reason I remember it ended in an "a".

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck, because you aren't going in.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah CenTra, Inc.

http://www.forbes.com/finance/ mktguideapps/personinfo/FromPe rsonIdPersonTearsheet.jhtml?pa ssedPersonId=866345

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul-- The city owns Roosevelt Park, but not the land adjacent the building. That belongs to Maroun or the railroad company.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well sorry, that was the way that Kwame phrased it when I saw him last. I guess he was oversimplifying the statement for our feeble minds.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine I've been in several times (as well as today) MCS is wide open and has been for 1+ year so the whole "Good luck, because you aren't going in." is BS. I'm looking for legal entry because Im trying to revisit and idea brought about in 1995 by professor Irina Nakhova. She was a visiting professor to Wayne State University and was able to gain access LEGALLY to put together a multimedia art installation and have people come in and view the show for 2 days only. I'm not sure if Maroun was the owner at that time but the station was in as bad of condition as it is now. I have several ideas regarding a possible art show including a cleaning of the main entry and removing as much graffiti as possible from the area and entrance and sweeping as a performance piece of sorts. Also hanging artwork as if it were a traditional gallery. Id like the artwork to continue the trend of last years "shrinking cities" exhibit @ MOCAD and the WSU response show. I dont want the ideas of these shows to die and think they should be brought up as much as possible.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also the city owns Roosevelt park, Maroun owns the station and the tracks are regulated by the department of homeland security doe to their proximity to the Canadian train tunnel.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What someone needs to do is get off their butt and get MCS restored to it's former glory. Such a building as MCS is and amazing piece of history and architecture. They wanted to get rid of Grand Central in NYC, but the people of NYC fought to have it restored. It doesn't seem to be the case here, most people seem to just want to razed. It's sad to see alot of old buildings(especially historic ones) demo'd and either left as an empty lot or what get's built in it's spot is more of the typical cookie cutter buildings, condo's/etc. Good Luck with trying to get access to MCS.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One problem Civil with the state of the economy who the hell has the money or balls to put up that much money for a project that will probably fail. The housing market is terrible in the Detroit Metro Area, the area around MCS is dangerous, what would be put there?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4032
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area around the MCS is not "dangerous"; If anyone has the money to fix MCS, Matty Maroun, the owner of MCS, would be the guy. Of course, being uber rich and a contributor to the war chests of Kwame and Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick means never having to fix your broken windows.

Try calling DIBC (313) 967-0783 and asking for Dan Stamper, he is the official mouthpiece...
If you are a film production company, legal entry is not an issue, if you are one guy with an idea that involves art, well, good luck...

Mdoyle

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle Could you please contact me at Mattric430@yahoo.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.