Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Craig Fahle Returns to WDET-will host "Detroit Today" show « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4087
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news. My little birdies have informed me that former WDET news director Craig Fahle, who quietly left during the Coleman turmoil [but not because of it], is returning to WDET and the D to assume the position of host of the increasingly popular Detroit Today show which runs weekdays from 10-12 AM and has proven to be so informative about all things Detroit. Fahle will be on the air on Sept. 17.

Good choice WDET and welcome home Craig.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 779
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats 10am to 12pm right?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, welcome back! I was just wondering what happened with that posting. It sounds like it will be a good mix. It's already one of my daily favorites.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man i was going to break this news

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? Nobody told me! ;)

Looking forward to returning.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not 10AM to 12AM and not 10AM to 12PM.

10AM to 12Noon.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow- maybe than can get back to playing Detroit music too, instead of hours of syndicated shows that you can hear on any other NPR station. The 5 hours BBC at night is a joke.

I have not given then a dime since the 1st time Coleman killed the music. For news and such I can go to WUOM with the exception of Detroit Today there is not a lot you can hear on any other NPR station. Coleman and WSU killed a great institution. Too bad.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He might even be on the air from 10 a.m. till noon.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9938
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I'd bet he didn't leave sunny South Carolina for just two hours of airtime! heh

Great news.

I will once again join the active list of volunteers. Fickle? Whatever.

Since Craig has chosen to come back, there must be other very good things happening at the station...between him and Jerome Vaughn and Quinn they once again have absolutely the greatest newsroom in SE MI...if Ms. Miller is the journalist they say she is, and I have no doubt about that, then it may free her up to shine too.

NOW, if they could just get ON with that HD Radio secondary local music programming, and the tertiary DRIS sampler, and the continual traffic and weather loop feed on the fourth adjacent channel...

I've had to keep my mouth shut about this for a little while now...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually listen more to WDET now the music is gone - I like the BBC at night, and increased my donation because of it. I used to donate to WUOM, as it scratchily gets here, but now with the expanded news coverage and the excellence that is Detroit Today, my dollars go to WDET.

It's too bad we can't be like other areas and support two strong NPR stations - one for music, on for talk. In cities like Boston, they don't even need to have pledge drives.

As for my personal taste, I couldn't care much about the music. I discover and do new music through my iPod - I don't really have much desire for more music radio. I also listen to Marketplace and others as a podcast if I miss it, but still donate to WDET because that is my local station.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 920
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cinderpath....
...Mike Austerman has the same thought. See his Sunday radio column (in the Oakland Press) here:
www.michiguide.com Scroll down for his opinion. WDET ratings have dropped .3 points to a 1.1 in the last book.

Out here, Washington State University operates two separate and distinct NPR stations. One is all news, the other is a mix of classical and jazz programing. What's really nice is that Dora and I put in almost 800 miles a week on our job, and the stations have translators blanketing central and eastern Washington.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be more excited to hear Nkenge Zola, Rudy Tusege (sp?), Jim Gallert, Ralph Valdez, or W. Kim Heron were coming back.

I missed a few other greats too but you get the idea.

It is difficult to explain the significance and importance WDET once had. The musical education it gave reverberated through the areas clubs, art, trends and locally produced music. It's former disk Jockey's such as the famous Coachman were as or more revered than any preacher. Music fans everywhere would speak about something they heard on DET that changed the way they thought about music and life. The significance of it's demise is incomprehensible.

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 28, 2007)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6351
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy, welcome back.

The only thing that would have sounded better than you coming back, is if you were coming back to replace Amy Miller.

She has done more to ruin my WDET listening experience than any format change.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4541
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The grown-ups are back in charge! Welcome back Craig.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so happy you're back, as all the above posters. The best of luck to you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.