Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 1-94 ramps closed at Gratiot in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 789
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know how long the east and westbound ramps for Gratiot at I-94 in Detroit will be closed? Can't find anything on the web.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by there this afternoon and both the east and westbound ramps were open for business.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they'd close the WB onramp there for as long as it takes to lengthen it and make it so you can merge into traffic at more than 40 mph.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5214
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd... that's the way I feel about the 1/4 cloverleaf on the I-94/I-696 interchange. Going westbound onto I-94 from westbound 11 Mile, I call it the "Circle of Hell". Not only are there huge potholes, but by the time you've passed the final curve at the bottom and gotten onto the freeway, you're still only going 35 MPH! :-(

(Message edited by Gistok on August 29, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vroom!

The_rock

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopping on the East bound I-94 at Vernier is nothing to write home about either. You have to keep one eye on your side view mirror for cars in the slow lane, and the other on the car ahead of you.
Hard on the driver, and hard on the eyes.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's a different bridge, or maybe not as I don't use I-94 east much...

But one or more of those I-94 & Gratiot bridges downtown? is probably among the most dangerously low-safety-rated bridges in Michigan. That is--if my reading on the bridge safety data is correct. It's one of those 13% of FCB (failure-critical bridges) still remaining--not unlike another ill-fated, poorly designed bridge in Minneapolis--I-35W.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on August 29, 2007)

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
Couldn't agree more about that ramp. That whole intersection is poorly designed and shittily built.

Ed_golick,
Are you talking about the ramps onto I-94 from Gratiot or vice-versa? I didn't notice them being closed.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 792
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both ramps were closed Monday. They are open now, but the detour signs on Gratiot are still up, and the orange barrels are still there, making me think that they aren't done yet with whatever they are doing.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like they have removed some of the cement on the supports for the bridge. I would assume they will then be putting a new outer coating of cement on the columns in an effort to stop them from crumbling.

Livernoisyard, the Gratiot bridge is just a standard bridge over the freeway, no different than any other. The I35W bridge was completely different.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3817
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Livernoisyard, the Gratiot bridge is just a standard bridge over the freeway, no different than any other. The I35W bridge was completely different.

Not so! Bridges differ widely in design and construction practices over the past fifty years of interstate highway construction. Bridges built before 1974 are especially suspect because the accepted standards for bridges first evolved from 1974 to 1978 and were further amended for another failure concern around 1986.

Bridges have safety ratings... One of those I-94 bridges (downtown?) carries a very low safety rating--if my memory of that site holds from a few weeks ago.

Over ten percent of bridges (13%?) in the US carry the FCB (failure-critical) designation--lousy design and construction methods used back before 1974, mainly. One in every eight bridges is a significant number.

The I-35W bridge was difficult to examine, say some safety inspectors, because of spider webs and bird shit. Yet, now more and more attention is being given to pigeon shit having an adverse effect (its resulting corrosion) in causing that accident--the very same problem which hindered those inspectors from doing their jobs with due diligence.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on August 29, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5242
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock I also agree with you about that Vernier to eastbound I-94 entrance. I've seen many accidents happen there. Too short of an entrance ramp at that curve is the major culprit.

I also have a pet peeve about the Vernier bridge. The Moross bridge has turnaround lanes for both east and west bound traffic. But on Vernier, they only have a west bound turnaround. Sometimes I visit the National Coney Island at 8 & Harper, and want to get onto eastbound I-94. Well since there's no turnaround there, you have to take the same route (onto Vernier and go over the bridge) as Eastland traffic that gets onto eastbound I-94 (and go thru 3 traffic lights!). It's a pain in the butt! :-(

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry LY...while that is a pre-1974 bridge (1958), it is NOT a fracture-critical structure.

It does carry a low deck rating though...according to the Mdot website.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use either the Gratiot and Connor eastbound entry ramps in the morning to work.

Connor is worst. They have an useless guard rail that obsures your vision of the outside eastbound lane, it's too short for an entry at speed, and it merges almost instantly.

On more than one occassion, I've had to drive on the shoulder to avoid unseen traffic in the outside lane.

This problem doesn't exist to anywhere the same degree with the eastbound Gratiot entrance ramp.

That's why I usually use Gratiot.

Bob Cosgrove

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a bit late on this thread, apparently, but seeing that I grew up (as well as stay) in that area. But I wonder when will MDOT (or whoever is in charge of our streets) do something about those loops on I-94 @ Gratiot? Obviously those loops are obsolete, even on I-94 @ Livernois westbound has the loop as well. They eventually got rid of the loops on the Lodge and Livernois, but when will they change those ramps on I-94 and Gratiot, I've no idea [they've gotta be at least a good 1/4 Mile going just one way]. It's time these ramps be more modernized. BTW, I'm glad that they've closed McClellan and Cadillac bridges over Ford Fwy.. I take Gratiot to I-94 (westbound) to get to work any way, but when I'm pressed for time, I don't wanna drive a 1/4 mile to access the freeway just to get to it.

Just ramblin', bitchin', and ventin' here folks.
Good day.

The_rock

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now we have even more problems than just "loops" and entrances/exits. I understand we will be down to two lanes West- bound on I-94 from about French Road.
Just in time for AA football traffic this Saturday.
What next?

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

94 was at a crawl all the way from 8 mile to downtown this morning around 9:30. Made my drive to school take close to an hour instead of the usual 20 minutes.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I-94 westbound ramps closed at Conner, Gratiot and French. Anybody know for how long???

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi. us/public/LaneClosure/index.cf m?ShowAll=2&Region=&County=82& Roadway=I-94&FromDate=09%2F06% 2F2007&ToDate=09%2F06%2F2007&S ubmit=Submit

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeezus, everything closed today. The 12 minute trip downtown took almost an hour.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto here. Everyone coming from the east side was at least 45 minutes late to work this morning. I could've ridden my bike and made better time. At least we know the boss believes our excuse!
Funny thing is, there was NO warning, from what people are saying. Even the radio traffic reports didn't say anything about it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.