Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Moose Lodge sold to Illitch « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard it through the grapevine, and a good one, that the moose lodge has been sold to Mike I under the stipulation that it is not torn down, no physical proof but I overheard this from a good source

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was old news? or is this just a really really good source.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is from a really good source but i thought it was all rumors before

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5202
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Verifiable had county deed information about a sale to someone that was purported to be an Ilitch subsidiary.

One other item was that the building also cannot be moved, which I thought was odd, since a move wouldn't be that bad (especially if it were moved over to an empty spot on Park Ave). But then it would likely mean certain death for Chin-Tiki.

I guess it's best to stay put on Cass and hopefully it and neighbor Chin-Tiki can become part of an entertainment area that includes the GAR Building a block to the south.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe there is any hope for Chin-Tiki.
If this news is true then I'm thrilled the Moose will survive. When I first saw this thread I was sure it would be demo'd

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 751
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New entertainment district

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, usually after a sale of a property it becomes the property of the new owner to do as they please, within the laws of the land.
Question for the lawyers on the panel: how does one make such a provision stick in a sales contract?
We've all driven past our old house and seen what the new owners have done and said "aww, they took down the tree that Dad planted" or "they painted the trim a different color"
But it's their house now, they paid for it.
In commercial real estate the changes can sometimes involve a bulldozer--which Ilitch may not even be contemplating.

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you put restrictive language like that in the deed, you can get the court to enforce it; it happens all the time. This is similar to what happened with the city-owned golf course in Huntington Woods.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 803
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct. A deed restriction prohibiting demolition is standard, enforceable language that we should all expect from the previous owners of this property. I hope that is the case.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

standard, enforceable language

enforceable only until a backhoe 'accidentally' rams the side of the building...

hopefully, though, no unfortunate 'accidents' occur here. With a potential arena across the street, not only is it a great location for some sort of entertainment venue, but it's also a great location for a parking lot. I only hope Ilitch now leans towards the former, rather than the latter like he did with Comerica. I, for one, am not holding my breath...

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

goodbye mooselodge.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, a property that has no use restrictions is called a "fee simple" property.

A property with special use restrictions has a deed with "encumberances".

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5830
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fingers are crossed that somehow the Chin Tiki will be spared the wrecking ball somehow (maybe ol' Mike & Marian dated there back in the day and have sentimental memories?). Structurally that place is still somewhat sound. Can you imagine if the Ilitches could somehow infuse enough money into that and revive some of the glory that was once there? I've talked to so many people who've had prom there, got married there, taken a hot date there and pretty much made it a destination to go to. It'd be a shame to see a generations worth of great dining memories go away like that.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5205
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Chin-Tiki that far gone? I thought it was somewhat maintained? As long as the roof was in good shape, I don't see any problems with it being restored. But then again, I have never been inside! :-(

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5833
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The interior of the Chin Tiki was stil somewhat intact from what I saw of it two years ago. Most of the furniture was still inside of it (stacked along the walls), the bar was covered up, and most of the trappings were still there although I did hear that the Eminem people did hoist a few morsels. But since the sale I'm sure the family came by and scooped up the last of the really good items and have stashed them. I was also told that the kitchen had issues even back in the day when it opened; they bought used equipment and jury rigged a lot of it. I doubt if that equipment could pass code today.

If memory serves me correctly, Marvin Chin was still tinkering around the old place from time to time prior to his passing awhile back so I'll assume it was still structurally sound. If it were to be re-opened in any way shape or form, a lot of the old carpeting, some of the furniture, tables and the things that made the Chin Tiki unique would have to be replaced or restored.

I've actually run into some of the original fabricators of that place (they're still in business) and they said it cost a pretty penny back in the day. It's not impossible to fix but I also know it wouldn't be cheap. Again, I'm holding out hope that the building can be saved somehow and even holding out a LOT more hope that it can be a tiki establishment in one form or another. I think Detroit could handle a cool unique dining place like that, especially in the heart of a new entertainment district.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the best item's from the Chin Tiki were moved to the Chin's in Livonia and other items were sold on ebay after Marvin passed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.