Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hickory Farm, Bloomfield Hills « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for information and photos for Hickory Farm in Bloomfield Hills. The home was built in 1917 by architect Electus D. Litchfield. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL,

Where was this farm? I've never heard of it. I have a map of the area somewhere, but I think it is prior to WWI. Another one I have is from the mid-1800's (a reproduction).

Hickory Grove Rd., perhaps? The Bloomfield Twp. Public Library "may" be able to help or the Twp. records dept.

If they give you crap about not living there when you ask questions, I can take care of that. I'll just tell them I moved back into the parents house and get a library card, and "lose" it to you. The Twp. records should be available to everyone to look at. (Small copying fee assessed... I'm sure!)

Call them tomorrow and send me an email at jrvass @ comcast dot net. I'll be going through that area on Friday and can get a library card if needed.

If the farm was in the city of Bloomfield Hills, that may be more difficult to discover.

I'm guessing it was east of Woodward, due to the flat terrain of farmland.

James

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass, the building called "Hickory Farms" is at 3045 Chestnut Run Drive. 48302. I managed to complete my project without more information, though it would have been much better had I been able to find something. Thanks!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4856
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was an estate built over it? Does it have any relation to an auto baron? Would love to see pics...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know much about it. The current owners are holding a 90 year b-day party for the house. They do charitable work. I was working on the invites and wanted to include some history, but my deadline prohibited getting to deep. I called the library, they couldn't find anything, but were EXTREMELY helpful, and searched through some collections for me. They told me Cranbrook has a lot of information on the area, but appointments are required to talk to the guy in charge. I just didn't have the time. I did have an image of the house I was able to use, an artists rendering. But I'm not going to post it as it is proprietary. Thanks anyways guys, I know this one was a little obscure.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4862
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, have you tried the Burton Collection just for the hell of it? For some reason the architect's name sounds familiar but I cannot pin it down.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The architect received some fame. If you Google him you can get plenty of information on him, but none relating to the house. Nah, I'm moving on to my next zillion projects now. ;)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.