Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Catholic Parish Recommendation? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pharmer_b
Username: Pharmer_b

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but since there seem to be a lot for former Catholic school kids here I'll give it a shot. I'm a lapsed Catholic with an interest in returning to the Church. Can anyone recommend a good Detroit area parish, or a Detroit priest, with a special interest in this ministry? Any guidance will be appreciated!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nativity on McClellan
Fr. Jerry Singer

great guy

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gesu - across from UD Mercy McNichols campus.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Leo's on grand river is a very community oriented parish. So is St. Charles Borromeo on the east side.

in southwest I like St. Hedwig, St. Francis and a friend of mine is pastor at Our Lady Queen of Angles (Fr. Tony Richter).

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sts. Peter & Paul
Fr. Bonk
http://www.aodonline.org/nr/ao d/customapplications/parish/pa rish.asp?InstitutionID=259&FRA MELESS=true&NRNODEGUID=%7B2FF9 2941-2657-4A86-A99A-0010DE3640 35%7D

This church is attached to UofD Mercy's downtown law school campus and is run by the Jesuits, the progressive arm of the church. It is also the oldest church building in the metro area. It's very beautiful, full of old-world ornamentation and once served as the arch diocese's cathedral. One of its missions is operating a homeless outreach center that specializes in helping them find jobs.

This is a more mature parish filled with mostly adults, but there are a few families with kids running around. It's by far one of the most diverse Catholic churches I have ever been in. There are people of all colors, economic levels and backgrounds. It's one of those places that is welcoming to just about everybody. I can't say enough good things about it and this is coming from a person who has had some big issues with the church in recent years. This church, or any Jesuit-run parish, would be a great place for any lapsed or recovering Catholic.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've attended mass at a lot of churches in the city with my Catholic mom just as a tourist so I don't have any hard info., just impressions. Based on that I thought Most Holy Trinity in Corktown seemed to have a diverse, friendly congregation.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for a TRADITIONAL and CONSERVATIVE Catholic parish, Sweetest Heart of Mary might fit the bill for you. It's located on Russell, not too far from Eastern Market. My wife and I fell in love with the physical church building and the passion of the pastor, Fr. Mark Borkowski. He's in charge of the cluster, which includes St. Joseph, St. Josephat, and Sweetest Heart.

It's a nice, Polish parish in the heart of the D.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 819
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you live? I would think you might want to attend a church that is relatively close to your home.

You might not mind a lengthy ride to begin with, but it could become a pain in the ass as time goes on. Also who wants to drive across town when the weather conditions aren't the best.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transfiguration (near Mound & McNichols) is very good. Fr. Andy has been there for years. They would have certainly been slated to close during the big closure of the late 80's, but he came in, was very progressive, and brought people back in from the neighborhoods. Although I don't make it down there much since high school, it still holds a very special place in my heart and also for many family members.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sacred Heart Parish near Eastern Market at Mack and Russell. Father Norman Thomas. Especially if you want a parish not traditional and conservative.. Very diverse and inclusionary.

65memories

Post Number: 455
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sacred Heart Parish near Eastern Market at Mack and Russell. Father Norman Thomas. Especially if you want a parish not traditional and conservative.. Very diverse and inclusionary.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worship at St Germaine in Saint Clair Shores (recommend Father Jim's sermons to anyone). Only been to two Detroit area Churches. St Joseph just south of Gratiot on the corner of Jay and Orleans, not far I-75, has been around forever, and until a year or so ago, still held the Baccalaureate Mass for De La Salle every year. The Architecture, stained glass, and paintings at St Florian in Hamtramck are truly awe inspiring. You walk in and feel like you're in a spiritual place.

http://www.stflorianparish.org /

http://saint-joseph-detroit.or g/

Both Churches offer Masses in English and Ethnic languages (Latin, German, Polish)

Kjwick
Username: Kjwick

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Aloysius on Washington Blvd. Progressive and active parish. Led by Franciscans.

http://www.stalsparishdetroit. org

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one place I enjoy most for mass is at St. Bonaventure on Mt. Elliott, where the Capuchin friar, Solanus Casey is buried.

Very peaceful and a very welcoming atmosphere and church. Fr. Dan Fox is awesome. Mass as it should be.

The Solanus Casey center is also inspiring as his story is truly uplifting.

If you have never visited, I would recommend putting it at the top of the list.

http://www.solanuscenter.org/

http://www.solanuscasey.org/

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sacred Heart
Fr. Norman P. Thomas
1000 Eliot · Detroit, MI 48207
Ph. : (313) 831-1356

Really diverse parish

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Mary of Redford
Father Robert McCabe
14750 Saint Marys Street
(313) 273-1100

Pharmer_b
Username: Pharmer_b

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you to everyone who took the time to contribute to this thread. It sounds like many of you are quite passionate about your parish and parish priest! I've got my work cut out for me, but I think it will be a pleasant task! If anyone else wants to contribute, please feel free!
Thanks again,
-b

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Theresa of Avila use to be St. Dorthy in Warren, MI
Fr. Tom is the best!

65memories

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When i recommended sacred Heart, I should have said Sacred Heart is not traditional and NOT conservative.

65memories

Post Number: 458
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I recommended Sacred Heart, I should have said Sacred Heart is not traditional and NOT conservative.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely St Josaphat for the traditional Latin Mass. It's like going into a wonderful time warp.

AD GLORIAM DEI MAJOREM

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all agreements with gesu-awesome parish
udm has mass on sundays in the commerce and finance building. i think they do a 12 pm and 10 pm on sundays.
10 pm is geared for your 20-30 crowd
very refreshing for the stressed student

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3637
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really depends on what your priorities are.

Just about all of Detroit's churches are beautiful, but some stand above the rest. St. Joseph and Sweetest Heart of Mary are the most remarkable.

The Blessed Sacrament Cathedral is a fully functioning parish in itself, with a diverse crowd, and all the benefits of being in that amazing space. I recommend it, but if you want traditional and the option of hearing a Latin Mass, you need St. Joseph, St. Josaphat, St. Mary Greektown, Holy Family, or Assumption Grotto.

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Thomas Aquinas, Fr. Bob McCabe's favorite of the cluster. Very welcoming. Corner of Evergreen & Ford Rd. Enter off of Evergreen. Masses Sat 4 pm & Sun 11 am. Excellent RCIA program for someone wanting to return to the church. 313-271-3266

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where do you live?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude, home of the jets and my roots

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another vote for Fr. Norm Thomas - best homilies ever!

He has two parishes -

Sacred Heart at Mack & Russell, and

St. Elizabeth at McDougall & Canfield.

Havren't been to mass at Sacred Heart yet, but I know their musicians, and they are awesome. St. Elizabeth is the late Fr. John Markham's parish, predominantly black, and we joke that it's a Bap'lic mass: slammin gospel music in a Catholic context. Small but vibrant community.

If you show up at St. E's, stop by the organ bench and say hi.

Daf (Jay)

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old are you Pharmer? Most priests seem to lose interest once you pass the 18 year mark.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan-hilarious indeed

i grew up with 4 brothers all of whom were altar boys. so if i count the years of continuous service-we put in over 25 years of service, collectively. unknown to us, we had a part-time priest who had been convicted in california in the 70's. none of us was abused-lol, but he came to family weddings, dinners, and i know i went to confession to him multiple times. he still sends my 26yr old married brother birthday cards. wierd eh. but honestly if someone has lapsed and is returning to the church, do you think they are 18 or younger?

ps-my mother always said "Kneeling keeps you in good standing with God!"

no pun intended

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.