Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Thoughts on the new Lincoln MKS « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who don't know, this will be Lincoln's new flagship sedan that will replace the Continental when it debuts next year as a 2009 model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_MKS

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it a lot except for the rear window. the whole rear of the car above the trunk looks puffy and bloated. More aggressive and sharper edges would have been more fitting to the car. All in all though, this isn't your grandpa's Lincoln.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would most folks in the market for a Lexus or BMW consider it?

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dat shiiiit is hotttt

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it! Not as much as the new CTS, but I do agree with "dat shiiiit is hotttt"!

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I echo OHudson's sentiments.

I saw one of the new CTS' on the road yesterday and while I have not really been impressed with the CTS over the last few years, I think this new one should be a homerun.

As for this Lincoln, its very rounded and smooth looking. It definitely reminds me of some of the Acuras and BMWs out there but probably at a much more reasonable price.

315hp seems to be pretty respectable too. While I am not in the market to buy one of these over-powered machines anytime soon, I have been waiting for Ford to start putting some more power into their Lincolns to catch up to the Cadillacs.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

old pics, front and rear have changed, front has that bow-wave grill

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 69

No third pedal?? Meh, it suxors...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice, directionally correct for Ford. I hope they sweat the small stuff, engage in truly quality engineering and lasting value.
One problem the trendy Lincoln products (not the old man town car) have had for the last 20 years is that they only have a two year span as a new, desireable car, the lease is up and the next owner is two and a half rungs down the social ladder rather than one. They go from Bloomfield Hills to Taylor (or Waterford "Taylor north") while the model is still in production then the model gets stale in a hurry.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it's trying to appeal to the thug crowd. Very gangsta.

I don't think people will be driving these in Bloomfield.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's a thought, who really gives a shit?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wiki has some outdated pics, the front end is like the MKR show car, tal is different too. engine is the new twin-force turbo v6

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Detroitrulez, Lincoln might give a s---.

I don't own a car, so it doesn't affect me directly.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the two-door version?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336:

I didn't get thoose pics from Wiki...also I just checked Lincoln's website and the pics they have appear to be the same...do you have info that hasn't been released to the public yet?

And the rear looks the same...

Also, the front end doesn't look much like the MKR

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is hot. Have you guys seen the Jaguar Xf? Now that is a sexy car.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 733
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally, I hate lincoln. The MKZ, MK LT, and whatever they called the rebadged Edge are little more than a different grill slapped on a Ford. There's little to no differentiation between them. Sure, the inside may be nicer, but if i'm buying a luxury car, it better not look identical to the entry level car. The MKS, however, looks damn good at first look, appears to carry different sheet metal than the 500, er, Taurus, and the Mercury version, although I'll hold out final judgement till i see it in real life. Not sure if it looks as lux as the new CTS, but still, a nice car.

Mayor, the XF is a hideous bastardization of the Jaguar name. My first reaction, looking at the front of the car, was 'wow, that's a hell of a nice looking Buick.' Which it would be, if it was a Buick. Unfortunately, that's not the image Jag should have. I will say, the rear end is nice, but I'm still not sure that it belongs on a Jag, though.

(Message edited by scottr on August 28, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, this is the replacement for the LS, no?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 734
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, the MKZ (formerly Zephyr) replaced the LS.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Maybe I should see it in person. I will miss the classic Jaguar design, but it was in need of an upgrade as it is hard to tell a '90 XJ from a '07.

I think this MKR is supposed to be the flagship car.

Another thing isn't the whole three letter alpha numeric designation for car names getting a bit annoying, not to mention confusing? Call this damn thing a Town Car and be done with it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they're trying to fall in line with the foreign brands with their naming convention.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this car (MKS) is bigger than the MKZ and it's replacing the Town Car, a better rival comparison would be to the STS or DTS. Against those two, I like the MKS much better (better than comparing to the CTS, the CTS has better styling).

These cars aren't into my price range, and if I could afford it I would get a Mustang GT and save a few bucks anyway.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr--throughout its history Lincoln has been nothing but a big Ford.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok here's my thoughts. The front end isn't too bad, definitely can tell it's a Lincoln. A car needs brand identity from the get-go. The little scoop behind the front wheels, is that functional or is it just for show? This little design quirk seems to be showing up a lot lately in all the new cars. I don't care for that. The rear isn't too bad, nothing exciting or tell-tale about it. The rear fender reminds me of the 90's Pontiacs and that god-awful cladding. It doesn't strike me overall as a gangsta/thugmobile, rather a middle management type car. I'm also disappointed in the alphabet soup naming of cars. Please give us back our Eldorados and Continentals!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it, but the side profile reminds me of the current Buicks and the former Olds Aurora. Nothing real original here.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it, but I'll wait to see production interiors. The dash of the MKZ ruins it for me.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the car, hate the name.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the reason they are going toward the alphanumeric naming is that studies show that it builds on the name brand as opposed to the particular vehicle. For instance, people tend to say they drive a "BMW" or a "Lexus" because its more identifiable than the actual names of the cars. On the other hand, people who drive a Taurus or a Town Car tend to say they drive a "Taurus" or a "Town Car" instead of saying a "Ford" or a "Lincoln".

Cadillac has had some success with that already after only a few years of adopting the alphanumeric naming.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been a fan of Lincoln till now. WOW, is all I can say with this car. Even the Lincoln badges on the fender vents look neat. I can't say that I like the styling of the Navigator or the MKX(which look a 15 year old with braces).
The MKZ is a step in the right direction though.

I was planning on getting a new 3.6 DI CTS in a few years, but I may have to wait to see how a turboed 3.7 in the MKS works.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nuts. I'd like to see you bring home a couple of 4x8 sheets of plywood in that tub.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a bad looking car, but I can see some design feature's from other car's in this Lincoln model. I do see some Cadillac looks in the rear and the front is slightly somewhat BMW'ish. Some other Ford car's need a re-design as well. The Ford Focus I would say is in need some some work. Speaking of luxury cars and new designs, Buick should bring back the Grand National, but keep it close to the design of the old 1980's model design, another thing would to make it a Buick only kind of design & parts. If Buick would like to get the younger crowd I think that would appeal to them & the generations that enjoyed the GNX.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drew a picture of it from the front page of the Detroit News. I'll post it later on.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Another thing isn't the whole three letter alpha numeric designation for car names getting a bit annoying, not to mention confusing?"

The idea is to get people to start talking about the brand and referring the cars by the brand instead of by the car's name like they do with foreign lux brands...

...i.e., "That guy just drove his Lincoln into the lake", instead of, "That guy just drove his Town Car into the lake"

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lincoln has been a company of stodgy, boring, "old-man" cars for so long they had no choice. They had to focus on a younger crowd to keep the marque in production.The LS was an honorable step. This one is even better.I think going less traditional and more Euro-oriented was the right thing for Cadillac to do to remain relevant and viable.I think Lincoln is going in the right direction, too.
I dont mind the name.I think its better than the doggone roman numerals they used in the Mark- Mark V, VI etc.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the new cts is going to be a big hit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.