Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » DSR « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents had a friend who lived on Strathmoor and I recall there was a large parcel of land down the street and it was fenced with a 5' fence. My parents said it belonged to the DSR. Can anyone provide more information.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you got a better location?? it may have been a site of a power station.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um....that was probably the DSR's Coolidge Yard, located on Schaefer between Schoolcraft and Lyndon. Was in the shadow of the big storage tank of Mich Con Gas. Third biggest yard after Shoemaker and Highland Park yards.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, right across the street from Rina's Pizza.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

photos?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that the place where they would pin the bus schedules up on the wall and then laugh and laugh?

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Strathmoor, between Schoolcraft and Tyler. I remember Schaefer very well, parents took us to Rinas every Friday for pizza. Also on
Schaefer was the Bus Terminal, Police precint #14, I think, the Library right at Grd. River, CopCo at Tyler....

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, Monnier Branch library was there, it was a beautiful building. Fox Pasties across the street on the Ne corner where the gas station is now, and Mistele's Restaraunt on the SW corner. Grand Schaefer Autor parts next. DiMambro's just a little way up Grand River on the south side in front of that huge warehouse thing. I forget what that was.

Brougham

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe, where did you live ? Sounds like you knew the area very well.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Littlefield, down by W. Chicago, but I hiked up to GR all the time, guitar lessons at Capitol Music near Hubbell, Monnier Branch, and the best bus line to downtown.

Brougham

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, yes I also spent some time taking guitar lessons at Capital in the mid 60's. Hubbell is the next street over from Strathmoor so I spent a lot of time on that street as well. You probably recall the American Motors building on Plymouth rd between Hubbell and Schaefer. That's where my dad worked. Littlefield sounds familiar, is it east or west of schaefer ?

Apologies to Stinger4me
for getting off topic but when I saw Strathmoor mentioned...

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two blocks east of Schaefer.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom worked at AMC! She was exec secretary to Industrial Engineering. I bet we ran into each other at Capital, me and my Guild studying folk guitar. I got a ride home once in the owner's Jaguar. Oooh, I'm terrible with names, Chuck? Littlefield is the second block east of Schaefer. Remember the Russian Orthodox Church on Hubbell?

See if there had been a bus on Schaefer or Hubbell, I wouldn't have had to do all that walking, but it was healthy!

Brougham

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing. My dad worked as customer relations manager, his name is in a lot of the owners manuals from that era. Do you remember a power substation on east side of schaefer perhaps just south of fullerton. It had a fenced off field. We would jump the fence to play baseball there.
I dont know why we didn't just go to the park on Hubbell between Fullerton and Plymouth but...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone help a young fellow (45?) out...

DSR?

TIA,

James

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Department of Street Railways. The name continued in use for many years after the last streetcar was retired.

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Jrvass, Burnsie was correct, the city's transit system was known as the DSR (Department of Street Railways) from 1922 through 1974, even though all street railway operations ended with the elimination of streetcars in 1956. When the agency was restructured in 1974 it was renamed as the Department of Transportation (D-DOT).

(Message edited by bc_n_dtown on August 29, 2007)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

I was 12 in '74, and definitely don't remember any street railways from before I was born!

Thank you both for the education in Detroit history.

James

(The only dumb question is the one that is not asked!)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.