Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Oshea rec center slated to close due to budget cuts! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oshea will likely close by friday unless something is done. Council could stop this but there is on recess.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you certain that O'Shea is not already closed? It is not showing up on the City of Detroit Recreation Center website.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Fox2 it will likely close by friday.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any truth to the rumor that the O'Shea Rec Center will be re-opening as the Ice Cube Rec Center?

Quozl

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Parks Department Master Plan (Page 7), O'Shea Recreation Center was closed in January 2006 because it was in poor condition and under utilized. I went through there in September 2005 and it looked pretty good on the inside, new equipment, paint and all. The ball fields looked like shit and there was a fair amount of graffiti and litter around the building. I have about 10 pics I took if anyone wants to see them.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O'Shea was still open? I used to ride my bike there a lot as a kid and I always thought it was shut down. This was back in the early 90s...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just mirrors what has happened to the neighborhoods around there. I remember getting a green and gold Twin Pines T-shirt for being an All Star in their baseball program back in the 60's.
You almost had to fight to get time on a diamond then.
Parks and Recreation always gets cut in a budget pinch. Too bad because it could give kids (with time on their hands) a place to go rather than the streets.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Also might be a casualty of the new rec center that was built at Joy and Southfield.

Quozl

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I was thinking maybe it had to do with Stoepel Park No. 2 being a better, larger park but it appears to be in fair condition, under capacity too.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joy and Southfield...isn't that where Herman Gardens was?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story was on channel 4 last night but I never saw it posted on clickondetroit.com. It was kept open till now by an active community member who lobbied the city but he recently passed away. It was slated to close much earlier but was kept open because of this. Anyone able to find the story?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joy and Southfield...isn't that where Herman Gardens was?

Yeah, that's where they built the rec center that was a gift of the Super Bowl.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad-O'Shea was a great place but I'm talking over 30 years ago. Played hockey,softball and baseball there. Someone above mentioned Twin Pines. I played on a Detroit Rec ball team in the 60's & we were given Twin Pines Shirts & caps for our team. Loved those colors-like the old Oakland A's uniforms. Sadly parks all over don't get any use. Too many kids would rather watch & play video games and just hang at malls.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the T-Birds were one of the big teams. They had a pitcher named Whitey.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulcall-
Most of my ball playing was at Butzel Park in the 60's (that's where I got the Twin Pines Shirt )then later for West Seven at Milan & O'Hara Fields. Only played a few baseball games there-practice games against O'Shea teams. Remember how big the place was before they built I-96?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it was huge but plenty of people were playing on those fields.
I remember crossing the railroad tracks to get through a hole in the fence to get in there off Fullerton.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Before I-96, I assume?

Quozl

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember how big the place was before they built I-96?

Pre-O'Shea 1949. Notice the sidewalks on the southeast corner:

O'Shea 1967:

O'Shea 1981:

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was that building at the corner of what became I-96 and Greenfield?

Traffic planning looks to have really killed off that area...

Quozl

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally forgot what that building was that faced Greenfield.

Quozl

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the original Subdivision Plat that would later become O'Shea park.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to play touch football on that lawn in front of that building on Greenfield.

Quozl

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We played touch football in the play field behind Queen of Hope (not Devil's Hills) or at the field next to Dossin Elementary on Glendale. We played flag football at Douglas Ramsel Playground at Longacre and Tournier behind Edison Elementary.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11667
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of kids & parents were out protesting the closure in front of the CAY. Probably a good 50-75 people out there.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dossin is closing too...

Paulmcall

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to make out in car in Dossin parking lot until the cops came by after hearing a report of a breaking and entering!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.