Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Streetwise Detroit Movement » Archive through August 29, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upon the heated discussions on panhandlers and "bums", a few more level-headed forum members (thanks go to None, Gazhekwe, and Crumbling_pavement) looked into possibly starting a Streetwise newspaper coalition in Detroit to empower our area's disadvantaged and to educate the rest of us.

If you are willing to donate time to get this going, please e-mail with your first name sauvelamise@gmail.com I'm compiling a distribution list. If you were out there complaining, please think of trying to make change happen. Where are you Plymouthres and Detroitprincess?

For more info on Streetwise:

http://www.nasna.org/home1.htm l

Please be aware that I don't even think this comes close to eradicating homelessness and the paper has been controversial, but we are interested in researching the possibility that this may make a positive contribution to improving someone's life and the city.

Please, NO "bum bashing" here!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent you an email. This sounds exciting. I always wanted to do something that could help someone and this might be the something. Let's see where it goes...

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please, NO "bum bashing" here!"

:-)

This should prove to be a very enlightening experience. I admire the effort. It's not going to be easy. It's going to take some real dedication to impact the situation.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Sst. One thing Plymouthres and I agreed on was that it was time for me to shut my yap and do something. I'm disappointed only 4 people have signed on when a lot more were out here complaining.
:-(

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't be OMG. you follow through and others will come along.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would really like to help you out but unfortunately i am heading back to the east coast for school in 5 days... is there anything i could do?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Work! Solutions!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter: "i would really like to help you out but unfortunately i am heading back to the east coast for school in 5 days... is there anything i could do?"

Yes, you could volunteer at a charity on the east coast to help the homeless/panhandlers there...

None
Username: None

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, there's nothing like the humble approach what a headline, there be no blaming it on the Jameson's now, thing's have gone legit, oh my :-)

Need Help Starting a Streetpaper?

Street Papers, a Guide to Getting Started, is a helpful guide to anyone involved with street papers, but is written with the novice in mind. The guide grew out of a survey of twenty established street papers, asking how they began and what they wished they did differently. This 32-page booklet, authored by street paper veterans Timothy Harris and Layla Mewburn, offers a global perspective on how to plan and grow a newspaper that helps homeless people succeed.

The Guide covers topics such as planning, structure, raising money, vendor recruitment and management, and newspaper production. Expert first-hand advice from those who have already succeeded is included throughout, and there is an appendix with useful case studies and samples.

http://www.nasna.org/startapap er.html

This is the place to start with out a doubt, it's a downloadable pdf, I just saved it on my desktop and read it when off line, I'm all for not reinventing the wheel and these people seem to have a good grasp of the details, if this is going to fly here's the road map, let me know what you all Think

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this and will sit down and read it this evening.

Did your contact say anything about a Detroit project already being in the works?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl-

I applaude your effort. Way to go! Please don't shut-up completely, though!

I am glad to see the time spent on such a cause as this one. I will contribute when I can, and I will certainly promote your ideas to all that will listen. I will try to contribute as much as possible, but from my previous posts I believe I'm already doing what I can, just in a different way.

I also take back what I said about your reading comprehension. You listened enough to DO something positive and very worthwhile, and for that I am thankful. Many would just bitch and cave in. Not you.

I will be following this thread, so please shout out if you really need me. At this stage of the game, you folks are far more capable of doing this than I am. You also have my support, not that that means much. God speed!

None
Username: None

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe

I have not heard back from Nina Page over at Streetwise as I'm sure there quite busy most days

Edit;
http://www.handetroit.org/
Urbanoutdoors
Post Number: 558

Some really good research material as to the what who when and why, great link

Thank you
Urbanoutdoors

(Message edited by none on August 28, 2007)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of them have severe mental illnesses and or are chronically addicted, not to mention the fact that many of them already have horrible social skills because of the social environment they come out of. Aggressive police work-easier access to meds; avaiable space in mental hospitals and clinics would help the problem.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We know this, Terryh. :-) However, the state has turned those with problems to the street. I agree it no way makes up for our social welfare deficit, but even if it just helps some...I've seen some success in Chicago.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For interested folks out there and helpers, I've created a down 'n dirty wiki so you can see where this is all leading:

http://streetwdetroit.pbwiki.c om/

The wiki can be viewed by anyone but only those actually working on the project can edit. I'm sending a password to all of you who have signed on.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in guys, I am glad that link has provided some info. Working with the homeless is some of the most challenging but most rewarding work. I applaud all of you for helping start this initiative.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, how neat is that? I've been wondering what the heck a wiki is, and now I'm in one! :-)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty cool, huh? I only appear to know what I'm doing though.... :-)

BIG thanks to Urbanoutdoors! Without the suggestion we become more active, we wouldn't be acting.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4542
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are kidding right? Detroit's homeless problem is directly related to the closing of mental health facilities 15 years ago. The city's homeless population don't need jobs selling newspapers. They need medical care. Mental illness is exactly that, an illness.

If you want to help the homeless - and if you do, God bless - lobby Lansing to reopen mental health facilities. One would think with a Democratic governor re-elected by a landslide and one house of the state legislature controlled by the Democrats, this issue might be a bigger priority.

Short of that, why don't you direct your time, money, and energy to established organizations that already do wonderful work getting people off the street with long-term solutions. The Mariners Inn for instance.

This city has an abundance of ineffective do-gooders pretending to help by passing out prison-grade spaghetti and weak coffee to the homeless. Drive down Third between Forest and Temple...you will see the results. It's not helpful and it's not humane.

It's all about mental health care. Until society gets serious about mental health care, things like street newspapers are a futile, if not disingenuous, effort on behalf of Detroit's homeless.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great idea. Maybe it could be a print version of ModelD!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariners Inn, another resource, thanks!

It probably is true that mental health issues are at the root of a lot of homelessness, but not all mental illness prevents progress. Not every mentally ill person needs to be locked up in a hospital for their own protection.

People who are capable of doing something to help themselves can benefit from a variety of opportunities. Streetwise seems to be one tha provides a means to income without panhandling, which can be followed up by opportunities to go further when ready.

Sticking people somewhere and expecting them to like it has not worked anywhere in the past that I am aware of.

Jelk

Post Number: 4543
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not every mentally ill person needs to be locked up in a hospital for their own protection.

That attitude is exactly the problem. The mentally ill (homeless or otherwise) don't need to be "locked up" any more than cancer patients need to be "locked up". They need to be admitted to health care facilities for treatment.

Gazhekwe obviously shares the same dim view of mental health care as Scientologists.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe, my view is anywhere you can't leave of your own free will is "Locked up." What I meant is not every mentally ill person needs to be in a care facility.

Jelk

Post Number: 4544
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are aware the Detroit's homeless population spiked when the mental hospitals were shut down. When a person is unable to make decisions for themselves, they can and should be institutionalized until their disease is treated. That is very different than be "locked up". If you are unable to make that distinction than clearly you are - and will continue to be - part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I think what happened to mental health care in the 90s is a national disgrace. Can we get it back? That would be great, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Streetwise is just one thing that might help some people.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The homeless know they will make more money panhandling than selling papers no one wants to read.

Jelk, get ready to find Streetwise used as toilet paper in your alley.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

Agreed, get the state involved. We pay taxes and trillions on welfare. It's nuts to even think that we should take up donations to help these folks. Expend that desire and energy on long term solutions.

I think some of these relief programs are really just exploitation of street people for fun and profit. It's just panhandling on a much larger scale. A few of the international concerns have been audited and one of them, only 12% of the donations effected the cause. The rest went to "administrative" costs.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you all kindly take the negativity elsewhere? I'm no freakin' Pollyana, so we're aware this isn't the end of Detroit's homeless. If you bothered to read, you'd see we're merely
looking at the possibility - this isn't a fait accompli by any means.

So find your balls and start an anti-Streetwise thread!

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some really great organizations in Detroit that focus more than just homelessness, but attempt to address some of the root causes and provide support (case management, substance abuse programs, etc.).

Instead of trying to start something grassroots that might not gain traction you could always put your heart, time and dollars to something you believe in that already exists.

You should look into Detroit Rescue Mission (http://www.drmm.org), COTS (http://www.cotsdetroit.org) and Travelers Aid Society (http://www.travelersaiddetroit .org but looks like their rights recently expired. Their site was up last week).