Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Compuware moving jobs to Downtown from out of region. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compuware is consolidating operations at Cambridge, Sydney and Dublin at headquarters in Downtown Detroit.

Good news for Detroit.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070829 /compuware_consolidation.html? .v=1

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm...I'm not sure how you get that interpretation from that article...to me it doesn't sound like are moving any jobs to Detroit...it sounds like they are eliminating 100 jobs in Massachusetts, Australia and Ireland simply throwing the work those people used to do on the desks of their existing workers in Detroit

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their loss is our gain. Presently, their HQ staff is cut back severely. I can't see how they can keep those lines going without bringing folks who currently work on them over for continuity.

I've been a shareholder in the company for about 8 years now. Its been a long bumpy ride.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either way, it is good news for Detroit. Moving development to Detroit from other areas may likely lead to the need for new hirings here. It may also increase demand in the Detroit area for certain vendors Compuware may need to support those operations. Also, Compuware has been doing a little better lately, and has been buying up some shares of its own stock.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a handful of transfers that are coming from Houston.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6418
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY OCP COMPUWARE!

Delta City here we come.

Time to make some Robocops.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Their loss is our gain. Presently, their HQ staff is cut back severely. I can't see how they can keep those lines going without bringing folks who currently work on them over for continuity."

Except the article says they are doing exactly that. The whole point of this is to cut costs by consolidating their operations and cutting jobs...

Even if they decide they'll need to keep 5 or 10 of the 100 jobs they plan to eliminate, big deal...Salad Creations probably hired more people than that...

I don't mean to sound like a pessimist here...but it is what it is...I was excited when I saw you thread title but rather disappointed when I read the article...

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than consolidating 100 Detroit jobs to be handled by the Houston office.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More shedding of talent. Especially in the Northeast.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitPlanner = Optimist, the glass... its half full!

TheJesus = Pessimist, No! Its half empty!

Thejesus

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Actually, Thejesus = Realist

You act like I'm trying to take some precious jobs away from Detroit or something when all I'm doing is recognizing that these plans don't call for the hiring of more workers in Detroit, nor do they call for the relocation of any workers here...in fact, all the article says is that they are getting rid of 100 jobs

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So... a company that never lived up to expectations (to put it lightly) and that will probably go under fairly soon lays off workers somewhere else instead of in Detroit, due to the fact that the owner has some weird fetish with the town that he grew up in, and this is the best news today in Detroit?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"and that will probably go under fairly soon"

what in the world makes you predict that they will go under? The company might not be the healthiest it's ever been right now, but it's far from going under

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Queen another rejected Compuware Y2K worker?

Sounds like it. Guess we now know that asking her thinly veiled anti-Detroit question was really trolling.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The big picture doesn't look too bad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.