Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Art Association « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have information on the Detroit Art Association?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of that group. Are they small, new, or for a niche market of art?

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great-grandmother, Jennie Wendell (Mrs. Emory Wendell), is listed in the book "Artists of Early Michigan" (by Arthur Hopkin Gibson) as having an exhibit in the first Detroit Art Association showing, 1876. I haven't been able to find any information on the DAA and wondered if anyone knew anything about it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm 1876 is pretty early, but perhaps this could be a lead.

In 1906, local Detroit civic leaders founded the Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts. In 1926, it became the first organization in the country to offer formal education in the Arts. In 1933 they made national news by recognizing the automobile as an art form, and added industrial design to their courses. In 1958, in order to closer to the cultural center, they moved to John R. and Kirby. In 1975 they changed their name to the Center for Creative Studies.

My alma mater! ;)

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the the early beginning of the Detroit Artists Market? Another long-time art association...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.