Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lets Imagine . . . .if the Detroit River were drained dry. . . « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. . .what would we find????
Think about it, and post your answers!

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lots of mohawk vodka bottles...

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Booze bottles from every era, maybe some crates from Prohibition.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 20 years ago a dive team of the DPD on a practice dive found an old cannon, c. 1812, off the foot of Randolph. I suspect guns of more recent years would fill bushel baskets. Probably more than a few coins if you could sift through the mud and muck on the bottom. And a number of automobiles are likely there, also. However, the bottom is very muddy, and most "treasures" would take some work to come to light.

Good question, sunshine.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3826
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Hoffa DNA

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You read my mind!
I would venture to say that some of the cars used to smuggle the stuff over may be at the bottom of the river as well . . .there are DEFINITELY some human remains in under there.
And there is probably a lot of trash, accumulated over the years

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of skeletons. And cars that got too expensive to lease after the drivers went over the allotted mileage.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kreugerands

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They say under the Ambassador bridge is loaded with guns. I remember a story once, where they caught a shooting suspect and he plead guilty, they wanted to know where the gun was he said he threw it off the Ambassador bridge. They went looking for it with magnets, they found hundreds of guns but never did find his. They attributed it to people leaving the US with a gun and tossing it before they got to Canadian customs. circa early 70's.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4867
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno since the current would drag any smaller objects into the lake am I right? Possibly some cannon(s) and relics of several automobiles.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any laws against fishing with magnets? That sounds like an interesting hobby.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would they find some of that load of Cutty Sark that was lost in the 70s?

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, haha

We actually tried it back then. Snuck out at night, what a laugh that was. I never seen so much crummy scrap iron in my life. Street signs, shopping carts, mufflers, car rims.. It was hilarious. This magnet would pick up like 300 pounds, huge rare earth. A few times it clinked on to something and it took all of us to get it back in the boat. Lucky we didnt get electrocuted.

We never did get the nerve to try under the ambassador bridge though. Story was pretty fresh. I don't think it would have been illegal. We did wonder about at that time if one was cocked and accidently went off on the way up though.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A skeleton handcuffed to a safe carrying the plans for the first electric car.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How cool would it be to just sink a caisson out there and do an archaeological dig?

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnLodge LOL, tossed in the drink by the rival fossil fuelers?

Jimaz that would be great. That would be a very interesting documentary. I always loved the Jacque Cousteau doc about the great lakes. Amazing how many ships there are and from so long ago still preserved in the cold freshwaters up north. Would like to find a copy of that. I remember when the Calypso went through Detroit.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you dug a little, you might find this.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A whole colony of octopi?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They might find Luca Brasi, after all he sleeps with the fishes

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 888
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drain that schitt down!

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’m sure we helped load up the river’s treasure chest by tossing over plenty of useless or broken machine parts, tools and u-hem orange juice bottles overboard from our passing ships.

It wasn’t until recently that we'd save a season’s worth of brass and copper scrap to cash in for a few rounds at lay-up.

I presume the iron’s still going overboard.

Deep sea, especially mile deep at mid-Pacific I’d wonder at the eventual resting place of the old valves we sent to the bottom.

Would it clobber a giant squid or return home to merge with the iron nodules of the floor bed?

Rivertowner
Username: Rivertowner

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some fun byproducts from Windsor:
http://www.citizensenvironment alliance.org/index.php?module= pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_p age&PAGE_id=9&MMN_position=10: 10

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably a Blue Gremlin

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember reading in the paper about the recovery of a carriage or wagon contraption off the shore of the Wyandotte Boat Club. It was sometime in the last 10 years. I could not find any articles referring to this on the web, however. Does anyone else remember this?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mud....lots and lots of mud.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, as long as the water level of the Great Lakes continues to drop, the Detroit River might be drained dry soon.

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bit of trivia... Detroit river is not a river at all.

A body of water that connects 2 lakes is actually a "straight", not a river.

-Cliff Claven... out

Jimaz

Post Number: 3100
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strait shootin' thar, Slim. :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cute catch, Jimaz.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4093
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As the priests and their companions were paddling up the Detroit River, they beheld on the shore a stone idol that the Indians worshipped in order to assure themselves a safe journey across Lake Erie. Since that Lake had been anything but kind to the Sulpicians, and because the idol was an object of heathen worship, Galinee demolished it with a consecrated axe, and the party carried the pieces of stone out into the middle of the river in their canoes to sink them. So far as know this was the occasion of the first visit of white men to the land of the Detroit area."

René Bréhant de Galinée (1645 – 1678) was a member of the Society of Saint-Sulpice (Sulpician Order) at Montreal and an explorer and missionary to the Native Americans. In 1670, he and François Dollier de Casson were the first Europeans to make a recorded transit of the Detroit River. His map of the trip demonstrated that the Great Lakes were all connected.

I got dibs on the 'idol' pieces. :-)

Shirlselects
Username: Shirlselects

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Hoffa?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Probably a Blue Gremlin"

Actually, they did pull that out about 10 years ago, at least what was left of it.They traced the VIN to a lady downriver back in the '80s.Several years later a volunteer cleanup crew pulled 7 or 8 more cars out. Too bad they were so water damaged-otherwise,they could have taken them home and had a massive sale with proceeds going to the cleanup effort.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 344
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres an old billhead that I have from a fishing company in Detroit.

It's for 203 frozen whitefish. Turk bros (I think) was a market in Pontiac or so I was told.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sort of on the subject, but is there a lot of aquatic animal life in the River? Its a majorly urban setting, but at the same time, such a large body of water.Anyone know for sure if there are frogs or turtles in there somewhere. I always assumed there weren't, but for such a large area of water, that would seem odd. Wierd question, yes, but something I've often wondered about.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A body of water that connects 2 lakes is actually a "straight", not a river.

Close. Actually, it is a strait.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...is there a lot of aquatic animal life in the River?

An estimated 10 million walleye run the Detroit River between February and April of each year. They come up from Lake Erie to spawn in the strait. This annual migration draws anglers from around the country.
[source]

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missnmich, I think you may have overlooked Jimaz cleaver post at 12:26 pm: yesterday?
I'm sure it was missed by several others also, So your info on the word is appreciated.

.if the Detroit River were drained dry. . . The entire budget for the new bridge would be needed for Border Patrol 4X4's

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.