Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Dequindre Cut bids received « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dequindre Cut bids received 27th Aug, 2007

This morning the EDC received bids for the construction of the Dequindre Cut greenway (whose history is briefly chronicled here). Rumor is that the lowest bids came in well under the maximum allowable amount…a big relief, since the entire project could have been jeopardized if the EDC didn’t get an acceptable bid on the first try.

Hopefully more news to come in the next week or so (i.e. the EDC awarding an official contract and setting a start date for the construction).
Didn't know if this was posted... Link below. :-)

http://www.eastriverfront.com/ ?p=158

lmcdet

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent, I'm always checking your blog. This is great news.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard the acronym EDC until this thread. Guessing what it stands for: ____ Development Corporation. My question is, does every large semi-pulic development get its own corporation? Seems like we one for everything. We have the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC), Development Corporation of Wayne County, Joy-Southfield Community Development Corporation (and evey other neighborhood of that matter), and the Detroit Hispanic Corporation, etc... Why could not some already established group handle this project like simply the city Parks and Rec.? Maybe I am reading into this too far, but does anyone know why there are all of these 'coprorations?'

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte - EDC refers to the Economic Development Corporation. Most municipalities have them. They are an entity created to allow the city to bond, sell revenue bonds, or use other specific economic development tools to finance projects. The boards usually consist of professionals in the community (residents & business owners) who usually have expertise, or background that adds to the administration of these complex projects (attorneys, accountants, etc). Parks & Rec could administer the project/construction itself, but DEGC is staff to the EDC (who is involved in the financing & structuring of the deal) so it makes more sense for them to do the admin.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I've mentioned before, the Dequindre Cut redevelopment seems to be a plan that could possibly put Detroit on the map as far as redevelopment of formerly derelict transportation infrastructure, similar for what the High-Line project has done here in NYC.

If this happens it will be noticed and documented. Worldwide, in fact. Good luck.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowest bidder came in at $2,800,000.00 Approximately. This project will be great when it's completed.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a rails-to-trail network in West Bloomfield. It's very enjoyable, and people make good use of it. If you are ever out that way, check out the Heron Rookery. Spooky trees growing out of a spooky swamp with giant nests in the tops. They have a Telescope Overlook there for a closer view. A great place for a bike ride through nature, and all free.

Here's a map.
http://www.westbloomfieldparks .org/parks/WBTrail.pdf

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's the deal with this project? It's a bike path?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Rivertowners blog. He has a map there. It will connect the Riverfront to Eastern Market, and add greenspace to an area that is currently just a graffiti covered derelict railway.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting.

The eastern half is where the trail will be, but the western half reserved for future light rail... even though the current rail is on the eastern side?

Is this because building a trail on the existing gravel will be easier and the current rail is garbage anyway?

Rivertowner
Username: Rivertowner

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, let me say that I'm honored that people are reading my site and finding it useful.

To Charlottepaul's question, the EDC and its related entities are an instance where Detroit actually does things rather efficiently. The Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC) is actually an umbrella organization that uses one staff to run a plethora of other "alphabet soup" agencies, including the Economic Development Corporation (EDC), Downtown Development Authority (DDA), Brownfield Redevelopment Authority (aptly acronymed BRA), and a few others. So, instead of duplicating staff and responsibilities for all of these agencies (each of which, incidentally, has a relatively specific purpose such as bonding or TIF capture), Detroit has one organization with a single staff that essentially wears a bunch of different hats. And the DEGC has been around since the late 70s, which I believe qualifies it as an "established group."

As for the Dequindre Cut itself, word is that substantial work should start by the end of Sept.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The eastern half is where the trail will be, but the western half reserved for future light rail... even though the current rail is on the eastern side?

Is this because building a trail on the existing gravel will be easier and the current rail is garbage anyway?

It was explained to me that it was much easier building the access roads (primarily for emergency vehicles) on the one side of the cut rather than the other. That's what determined which side of the Cut the trail would be on.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070904/NEW S01/70904040/0/BLOG20

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading a couple of the reader-posted comments below the freep article really has me convinced that this region is loaded with uneducated, ignorant idiots. Anyone who thinks this is a bad project is crazy.

The riverfront is where this city was founded, and will continue to be the place where it is reborn. The most important objective in the growth of the riverfront is to be able to connect it to the existing neighborhoods nearby...well, the cut is by far the best way to do that.

Being a resident of a clean, safe, and diverse neighborhood known as Lafayette Park, I know for a fact that this will do nothing but good things for the area. I look forward to watching all the construction out my apartment windows.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an expanded version of the Free Press article:
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070905/BUSINES S04/709050415/1002

What bothers me is that the trail has no beginning or end yet:

"The city still must design a way to connect the new pathway to both Eastern Market and the RiverWalk. On the north end, the trail will stop at the south side of Gratiot. Dempsey said planners are studying how to continue the path north across Gratiot into Eastern Market.

On the south end, the pathway will stop at Woodbridge, a couple of blocks from the RiverWalk. Planners have to design a way to continue the path through the planned State of Michigan Tricentennial Park to the RiverWalk."

So I guess it's still going to cost another how many thousand bucks to actually connect the trail to its destinations.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to walk along the rails there, thinking "wouldn't it be great to turn this into some kind of park?"

Freep comments are always kind of thoughtless

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Reading a couple of the reader-posted comments below the freep article really has me convinced that this region is loaded with uneducated, ignorant idiots.

i was convinced of this the day they went live with those comment boards

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What bothers me is that the trail has no beginning or end yet

Riding a couple blocks on road to the Riverwalk is trivial. That's not a big deal today. The eventual plan is to make a trail connector across some city-owned properties and make them into the park.

On the north end, getting to Eastern Market isn't all that tough either.

Like the Riverwalk, this will be developed in chunks because it's contingent on other projects, how they're developed, and their timelines. It's the nature of the beast.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree, Fishtoes. This project should be viewed as a home run and anything that makes the trail, or any trail, more difficult to access will lead to decreased usage.

What other projects is the the completion of the Cut development contingent upon? I say that out of ignorance, not sarcasm. Is it possibly the Globe building on the south end because the tracks run there? What other projects are holding up completion of the north end?

I'm not saying that development of the Cut should be delayed at this point, but I would've felt a whole lot more confident to have the whole thing planned out from end to end before cutting a check to begin work.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tricentennial park is going to be expanded at the south end. It's planned to expand to meet the Dequindre cut.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it'll actually be city property connecting the Cut to the Tricentennial. The last I heard it wouldn't be DNR land. So the connector is contingent on that park land being developed. Tricentennial and possibly the Globe also affect the design.

On the north end, the connector to Eastern Market is likely contingent on Phase II of the Cut, which would continue the trail north and under Gratiot.

For about 5-10 years the north end of the Paint Creek Trail was never really connected to Lake Orion. It probably had a minor affect on trail usage. People are creative and find a find when there are no real solid barricades (e.g. an expressway or active rail line) in the way.

It may not be a home run without the final connections, but a double or triple is a good start. At least we're getting on base.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.