Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit City Services « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can any one think of a city service that detroit offers that is better or the same compared to one of its neighboring communities. please don't say the water department

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DFD....the Detroit Firefighters are the hardest working bunch of people I can think of. They go out and risk their lives in burning buildings every day and don't get much appreciation. As a matter of fact, until just the other day, they were working with equipment that was older then many of the firefighters.
The firefighters in every community in Michigan are second to none.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4072
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trash pickup

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say that the Coleman Can was one of the best things that happened in his administration. Helped keep rats to a minimum, saves money, easy to do...
I'm surprised the burbs don't use the same type of system.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is the Coleman can??? The courville container was introduced half-way through the Archer adminstration.

Monahan568

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trash pick up in the city is horrible there is limited bulk pick up and now commercial properties have to pay an inspection fee of 350 per year plus thousands of dollars for pick up. this is a new thing that just went into place this year and i believe there is a class action law suit started because the city added it to property owners tax bill

(Message edited by monahan568 on August 31, 2007)

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of bulk pick up do the suburbs have?

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll 2nd the DFD

Pjazz

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we have a great Library system.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city has a nursery. As of a few years ago you could buy a tree for some insanely low price. I want say it was $15.00 If your tree died, they would replace it...for FREE!. A friend of mine got a few for some homes he owns in SWD. This was as recently as 2004.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the library system is good, too, especially the Main Library, with the Burton Historical Collection. Also the DIA and Detroit Symphony are world class. The Science Center, the Charles Wright, the Detroit Historical Museum, they all sure leave any cultural things in the 'burbs sitting in the road.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Public Library, yes!! Not only because of the breadth and depth of the collections at the Main Library; but also the willingness of the clerks and librarians to assist and direct patrons in their information searches.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pjazz,

The burbs privatize their trash collection. Im in Harper Woods and Waste Management does everything here.

Monahan568

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DIA and Detroit Symphony are world class. The Science Center, the Charles Wright, the Detroit Historical Museum, these are not city services they are run by private groups not the city. so to clearify right now we have DFD and the library. can anyone else think of anything schools, police, parks, ect..

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tunnel. I don't think any suburbs have a tunnel.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman/Corville - Was via the Young administration. Not the Archer administration.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 570
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Street Signage. The cities signs are large, visible and easy to read. Often the worst or most vacant parts of the city will have large blazing new signs.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure the heck not going to get into an aguement about garbage cans, but I was living in my current house when the cans arrived. It was during Archer that they started (at least in my part of the City).

I thought they were great. I am now just mad about bulk pick up and th $300 fee for 3 pick-ups a year!

Well that and calling the police region and being told to call 911 if I want to send a cop car out to get the hookers and crackheads out of my alley.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6421
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what I think about Detroit City Services:

Detroit Police Dept. POOR!

Detroit Public Library EXCELLENT

Detroit Public Waterworks VERY GOOD

Detroit Public Lightling BAD!

City of Detroit employees SOME ARE GOOD AND SOME ARE LOUSY!

Detroit Public Schools VERY LOUSY

The Downtown Development Authority FAIR

The Committee of the Whole FAIR

The Detroit City Council VERY LOUSY!

Detroit Mayor KING KWAME Kilpatrick VERY LOUSY!

Pjazz

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meaghansdad are you saying that you can put out bulk garbage at any at any regular pickup time?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am biased in favor of the DFD. I will admit, however, that our department does not provide as full a range of services as do fire departments in more functional, walkable urban centers. To wit:
http://tinyurl.com/24xrol
quote:

D.C. fire officials are investigating whether department employees have been running a prostitution ring out of several of the city's firehouses.

quote:

The sources say investigators are looking into whether female emergency medical technicians performed sex acts for money on men, including male fire department employees, in the bunkhouses of fire stations since late last year.

Sources say the investigation is also looking at whether a male fire officer might have also been involved in coordinating the operation.

I've talked to some of the Detroit professionals on John R and they tell me union rules would forbid this sort of "double dipping" here.:-)

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"Meaghansdad are you saying that you can put out bulk garbage at any at any regular pickup time?"

I live in Ferndale, and thats how it is with our trash pick-up. We have a pretty broad range of items that qualify for curbside pickup. My neighbor recently replaced his garage door, and they picked it up the next morning along with his regular curbside pick-up. I assumed it would be gone because someone would come along and take it for the scrap value, but I watched the refuse workers take it away when they picked up the "regular" trash.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 699
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public transportation is more dense and more frequent in most of the City than in nearly any part of the suburbs. "Better" is a complicated word but at least in terms of density and frequency it is better.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,
Pjazz, I was totally amazed that it wasn't a "bulk trash" day. When we moved into our home, there were a lot of small incidental things that hed to be done before the family could move in.

I ripped the carpet out of two rooms, stained and applied polyurethane to the floors, added a room in the basement,painted and removed some other debris.

I asked the trash collection guy" When is bulk day?, I got a lot of stuff to sit out." Dude says " Man, just sat yo shit out!"

I had about 4 cubic yards of debris for several weeks, and everytime, they took it all.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real Estate Taxes, I believe the second highest in the country?. I'm just pissed I can't deduct my $300.00 (illegal not voter approved) tax on my refund now.
When I was a kid in the 70's I wonder what all those big round things where sitting out on the curb were then. Everyone I knows calls it a Coleman can. Maybe it was made by the Coleman company.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of city taxes. Every year my tax guy files my federal taxes via efile, same with state of MI taxes. And every year he sighs, pulls out an envelope and stuffs my city tax forms into the envelope to be MAILED. Will the city ever enter the modern era?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.