Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » How well can you still do the Soupy Shuffle? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if people can still do the Soupy Shuffle...to the side, to the front, to the back...

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M - I was taught by the best... Black tooth Thompson...He lived over on the eastside...I think on Fordham....his career on broadway had ended but he would teach all us little kids in the neighborhood....what a guy!!!!!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just tried it, boy, did I feel clumsy!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soupy can't even do it anymore.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the "Mouse" dance?

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can still master it with no problem.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the other few thousand posters on this forum, who don't know what this is all about, besides you six, could one of you explain? Thanks.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You skip, hop, shuffle to the side and back while trying to keep your arms to a minimum swing. Side to side legs up and down and sliding along.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 795
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Queensfinest and all DetroitYES forumers under 50, this is the Soupy Shuffle.

www.detroitkidshow.com/shuffle .wmv

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll do it only if the boobies are still behind the door.

Inspiration you know.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soupy's naked lady is so old, her boobies are now hanging near the doorknob.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's probably his nurse now. Average age of nurse is now over 40.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you start a new day.....
Does anything else count?

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Queensfinest and others, sorry 'bout that. those of us who grew up in Detroit during the 50s and 60s had the pleasure of some pretty amazing local TV programs, esp. Soupy Sales, who was unbelievably hilarious! wild guy...did a cool dance called the Soupy Shuffle...one time I was out in LA at a party, ran into another Detroiter and within seconds we were both doing the Soupy Shuffle. the entire party stopped and stared and applauded. LOL!!! if you ever get a chance to see some of those shows, check 'em out. I think Soupy was a comic genius, to tell you the truth. thanks, everyone!

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wish that Soupy and Jerry Lewis did a movie or something together back in the day. It would have been hilarious!!

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mouse Dance was Soupy with his
Thumbs along side his ears,fingers up
and spread wiggling top teeth
over the bottom lip and Soupy bouncing around.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, thanks for the video! We can now all practice and next time we get together, instead of the Hustle, we'll do the Soupy Shuffle. I refuse to tie a napkin under my chin though.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way back when, my mom was in charge of entertainment for some shindig at my elementary school. She contacted Channel 7 and they put her in touch with Soupy. Back then fifty bucks would get Soupy for an appearance of slapstick. He came to our school (Avondale Elementary in Inkster) and, during a break, he taught me the Soupy Shuffle in the faculty lounge. I was about six yrs old and remember every minute of it today.

(Message edited by sharms on September 03, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.