Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Paranormal Detroit! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we've done some of this before, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of news, and Jjaba and Rock have already told us the complete history of Detroit. Here's some of my favorites:

The Michigan airship sightings of 1887!
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/o ddities/page3.html

"Battle Creek, April 13 — Twenty reputable citizens claim to have seen the mysterious airship last night, hovering above the sanitarium. Some claim it was a hot air balloon, but others insist it was an airship, because they heard voices. L.E. Clawson, a prominent attorney, and Mr. Dixon, a leading clothier, claim the ship was all one blaze of lights, as if covered with electric lights. Says Mr. Dixon: “The upper part was in the form of a cone, from which was suspended a large object, cylindrical in form. At the rear end of the lower object was some kind of wheel, which made a buzzing sound that was distinctly heard.” When first observed it was almost a mile high."

http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/airs hip.htm

The Farmington Hills cemetary. This one was told to me many times because I lived out there.:

Farmington Hills-Farmington Cemetery- On Grand River just past Farmington road there is a cemetery that is haunted. If you are leaving through the west gate, which is on a hill, and you put your car in neutral, your car is mysteriously "pushed" up the hill and out of the gate of the Cemetery.

In the Botsford Inn on Grand River near 8 and Grand River, Clara Ford is said to haunt the place. I've heard she was especially fond of the young bus boys.

Of course there's the Whitney, they report all sorts of activity. Tables moving, elevators changing floors, chandaliers swinging...

The Majestic Theater, haunted by Harry Houdini.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2941
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait until October.

You'll see more posts then (or you can do a search of past topics...this has been done before).

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone told me they have lots of experiences with the paranormal. They said that only certain people can see/sense things. Its a gift or sense that not everyone possesses.I've never seen a ghost, and I scare easily, so apparently I don't have that sense and thats fine by me.I love the stories but ultimately they frighten the crap out me. Apparently a lot of stuff is out there, a lot of us just don't know it.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like those shows on TV, everyone running around with the Hi8 on nightvision. What a waste of airtime.

Just for yucks, have they ever actually recorded anything paranormal on those shows? Every time I flip past, it's someone saying "Yeah I can feel it too"

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TAPS catches some good stuff now and then. If you ever see their episode where they stay at the hotel The Shining is based on, you'll see some pretty spooky happenings caught very clearly on tape.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In October the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition will be sponsoring "Ghost Night" events at Fort Wayne, in the Barracks and other buildings. There will be paranormal tours by lantern and according to the ghostbusters that have been there researching these phenomenon, the place is crawling with "spirits".

Since this is still in the planning stages, I will be updating the forum as more info becomes available with dates, times and cost for the events.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some haunting tales from Detroit's past

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, the knock-knock streets. My dad told me Haggerty Road was haunted by a mysterious knocking ghost when he was young. Those stories usually involve a construction worker who was killed in an accident (or not!) while building the road, and to hide the evidence from public eyes, they simply paved over his body.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father told me of "knock knock street" which was somewhere in the City (?). Evidently some kid was run over and he was pounding on the bottom of the car that went on to drag him...

Once, after dark, I was chased in the Grand Lawn Cemetary by some evil-appearing apparitions: it was the Big Four coming after me & my buddies while we were drinking under a tree. One of the scariest experiences of my life.

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you all have probably discussed that Nain Rouge here before ...I am about to look in the archives . . .

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 626
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, LOL on the big 4 comment.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn't there some local group around here that goes out and investigates haunted houses etc.? I thought i saw an ad for something like that once in the paper...

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend told me a story about a young boy who supposedly haunted the Sara Fisher home - I think.

Long time since I heard it, but the boy is dressed in 19th-century clothing, and often seen running from a garage. He said research revealed a boy of a similar age who died in an accident in that area in the 1800's.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knock Knock street is Supposedly Jefferson, In front of the enterance to the det/Win tunnel. reportedly, you can hear the knocking under your car on rainy evenings.
Probably the same spirit whos burning things underground, letting out the smoke from the manholes :-)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and my dad were talking about ghosts one night and he asked me a real good question about ghosts he said " Why would a ghost have clothes on?" I believe in ghosts to a point but damn, that got me. ALso I thought before that if a ghost is "trapped" in an area wouldnt that place be floating in outer space. Aftera ll wherever that ghost is "trapped" would be a point somewhere where the earth used to be as it flies through space?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Me and my dad were talking about ghosts one night and he asked me a real good question about ghosts he said " Why would a ghost have clothes on?"

I like your dad.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why would a ghost have clothes on?"

Ghosts can't be modest?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3103
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, those were interesting questions. I have never heard them asked before.

There is a theory that ghosts are actually in the observer's mind. That's not to say they're unreal in the sense that they can't affect the observer's reactions.

I think this would mean that, since the observer is most likely to envision the ghost clothed and on the planet in its current position, that's how they appear.

(Message edited by Jimaz on August 31, 2007)

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3146
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why would a ghost have clothes on?"

To see naked ghosts I hear ya hafta go to BOOgarts in Inkster.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.