Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Moved twice to "escape" Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been putting reviews about Detroit on yelp.com, which I got into because of my NYC brother. It is a cool way to let people know about places that are worth going to that may not be in the papers.

There is a function where you can make lists, and it got me thinking. Could I make a list of places that have moved twice to get further and further from Detroit?

I can think of two offhand-
Brightmoor Tabernacle---Detroit to Southfield to Novi

Catholic Central---- Detroit to Redford to Novi

Can anyone think of any others?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Pistons: Detroit to Pontiac to Auburn Hills

Ffdfd

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rooms, I checked out yelp.com. Can we merge this thread with the Craigslist one? Detroit is not on the main menu of cities and I feel slighted. In fact, Detroit's not even listed under Michigan cities -- only East Lansing, Grand Rapids, Lansing and Muskegon there. I am going to write such an email to those people.

By the way, what's going on in your yelp photo, Rooms? Are you flashing a gang signal?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

University of Michigan, 1837
Michigan State Capitol, 1847

Rooms222

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they have some kind of elite thing you can get if you do a lot of good reviews, and it seems only the "cool cities" can join that. Still, being able to put up things like Rono's that don't have much of an internet presence (except 1 Metro Times review) or Tires R Us which has none at all, is pretty cool....Let us know if yelp responds at all....

Merge away if you'd like....After all, its just the internet....

(Message edited by rooms222 on August 31, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol...

what exactly is the point of making such a list?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting fact is that even the University of Detroit Mercy moved from downtown out to what was then in the 1920s rural area at McNichols and Livernois. The Jesuits owning some property out in Clarkston then almost moved the university out there as recently as a decade ago. Fortunately for the City of Detroit, UDM chose to redefine its mission to embrace the urban community!

Rooms222

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess part of it is to bring some Detroit style to yelp..... It is a little too demographically and geographically based for those considered to be in the upscale category for both (like maybe the downtowners here in the D that DO have way over $30 to blow on groceries, lol.. they are the select group yelp is appealing to, at least in the beginning...just like myspace before it became popular with the young and foolish).

People have lists on yelp like: when I come home to the D, I go to so and so....or bakeries across america I love....This attempt to make a list could be interpreted as places where fear reigned supreme not once, but twice....Also, I'd like to see of there is a pattern...Is this only a westward progression to Novi or did people do Detroit-Warren- Sterling Heights???????

Oh yeah, about the pic, I could claim that the picture is being unposed or "edgy." It seems people on there on take posed pictures only if a giant prop is also in the frame and the subject is off to one side, to not be too conventional....:-)

Rooms222

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you are right, we might have another Cheesecake Factory scenario here. Yelp has 21 cities that appear on the main page as index cities where you can type www.yelp.com/cityname and get a main page. I looked up the list of Census metro areas on wikipedia (Detroit is 9th, which does includes ON, which they do not cover currently). I then looked at the yelp index cities. Fourteen of the first fifteen have an index page....all but Detroit!!! Only one city listed from 16-20 has an index page. The question is, did they use another metric, or is Detroit being left out....again?

P.S. Also looked by Census Combined Statistical Area, where areas are merged together (e.g. San Francisco-San Jose). Detroit is #12 here. Again 13 of the first 14 have a listing, just not Detroit. Minneapolis, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Orlando are the 15-20's that do not have listings. Because of the mergers, this list has no # 11,13,16, and 20.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I couldn't even find it when I went directly to yelp.com. I had to do a search query...

Ffdfd

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gather up your gang buddies Rooms. Let's go put a beatdown on yelp until they ... well, yelp. We'll get Detroit on that index yet.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it looked like Ohio only had one city index and Charlotte, NC was not on their either, so don't get too hot and bothered. http://www.yelp.com/locations

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandparents:
Moms side: Detroit to Livonia to Walled Lake
Dads side: Detroit to Redford to Novi

My Parents:
Novi to West Bloomfield to White Lake

Me:
West Bloomfield to Farmington to Ferndale to... hey, am I going the wrong way?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K Mart--downtown to Troy to Hoffman Estates, Ill. or something like that.

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Musicians Union - DFM Local 5? Where were they before 7 & Schaefer? They're in Southfield now.

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica - downtown to Auburn Hills to B. F. Tejas...

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandparents:

Maternal: Detroit to Southfield to Detroit to Farmington Hills to Southfield (Holy Sepulchre Catholic Cemetery)
Paternal: Detroit to Dearborn to Southfield (Holy Sepulchre Catholic Cemetery)

My Parents:

Mom: Detroit to Livonia to Houghton Lake
Dad: Detroit to Melvindale to Dearborn to Tecumseh

Me:

Detroit until I was 18 then to Chicago, IL to Key West, FL to Jacksonville, FL to Gainesville, FL to Auburn, AL to Tallahassee, FL to Sarasota, FL to Mount Dora, FL to Lake Mary, FL to Kuwait City, Kuwait to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to Dubai, United Arab Emirates to Winter Park, FL to Lincoln, MA to The Woodlands, TX to Sugar Land, TX to Detroit, MI.

(Message edited by quozl on August 31, 2007)

Shirlselects
Username: Shirlselects

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me: it wasn't to get away, it just worked out that way.

Detroit to Livonia, To Detroit, To Livonia, to Florida.

I still have lots of good memories of Detroit and if I ever win the lottery I'm going to buy something in the 48202 zip code, (my old neighborhood) when it was only Detroit 2.

I'm so glad for this forum to bring back pleasant memories.

Oh, Providence Hospital on West Grand Blvd, where I was born to somewhere in the suburbs

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6422
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister,

Detroit to Lansing, MI. to Seattle Wa.

My cousin, David: Detroit to Chicago, Ill. to Plainfield, Ill. to Chicago

My Uncle Donald: Detroit to Rochester Hills, MI to West Bloomfield MI.

My cousin Kimberly: Detroit to Dearborn, MI.

My cousin Tiffany: Detroit to Dearborn Heights, MI.

My cousin Mike: Detroit to Los Angeles, CA to Atlanta, GA.

My cousin Irene: Detroit to New York City , NY. to Connecticut back to NYC, NY.

My Dad: Detroit to Talahassee, FL, to Atlanta, GA. back to Detroit to Seattle WA.

My mom: Detroit to Westland, MI.

My cousin Wendy: Detroit to Waco, TX. to Dallas TX.

my cousin Bruce: Detroit to Virginia Beach, VA. to Okinawa Japan, to Bellevue, NEB. back to Okinawa, Japan.

My Aunt Shirley, Detroit to Bellevue, NEB.

My uncle Marvin: Detroit to Pontiac, MI.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second City Detroit-Novi

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit to Pontiac?! Out of the frying pan and into the fryer, eh?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Second City Detroit-Novi"

You should have seen their shows after that move was made. They were clearly NOT pleased with being moved to Novi. Lots of songs about parking lots.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ JL I never thought that was a good move--I haven't been there since. You are preaching to the choir though, Detroit is misrepresented.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 453
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me: Southfield to West Bloomfield to Detroit

The rest of my family (parents, uncle, etc.): Detroit to Southfield/Oak Park to West Bloomfield

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL Hudsons
Detroit
to every suburb including Traverse City
to oblivion...

Me: Detroit to Pinkney to Ann Arbor to Ypsilanti then back to Detroit.

QOZL are you on the run from the law?

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown Records -

Detroit
to L.A. ('72)
to New York (bought by MCA, '88)

Uniroyal -

Detroit
to Akron, Ohio(Goodrich merger, '88)
to Greenville, SC (acquired by Michelin,'90)

Vernors-

Detroit
to Livonia (bought by A&W Concentrate Co.,'87 )
to Farmington Hills (A&W HQ move, '97)

general population-

away
from
here

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 611
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vlasic

Detroit
Lathrup Village
West Bloomfield

Bought up by multinational

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica was HQ'd in Auburn Hills?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6431
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! talk about economic flight. When industry flight from Detroit to the burbs, the people went also.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl - now i know who you are....:-)

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personal Relocations:

Detroit (18 yrs) >
East Lansing (1 yr) >
Monterrey, Mexico (1 yr) >
East Lansing (-present)

WORLD OF FAITH Christian Center
Detroit > Redford > Southfield
(possibly a couple more locations in-between)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me:
Detroit--Southfield---Brimley- --Southfield

Chrysler HQ:
Detroit--Highland Park--Auburn Hills

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chrysler from highland park to Auburn Hills

GM---from the New Center to the RenCen

Little Caesars Pizza-farmington to Downtown...

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Temple Baptist Church--
North End to Grand River to West Chicago near Telegraph to Plymouth Twp. (Northridge Church-- even changed their name...)

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny thing is that Temple baptist (northridge) was in the same building that Word of faith was in when they were in Redford. Both have since moved further out...The building in Redford is now owned by Detroit World Outreach, which moved from a much smaller building in Dearborn Heights.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.