Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Belle isle during the grand prix « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this may be a stupid question, but is there anyway to view the grand prix for free this weekend? if not, does that mean that there's also a fee to access the rest of the island? or do they just fence off the portion of the island that is holding the race? i can't find anything about general (non paddock or bleacher seating) access to the event and/or island...

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like you have today until 7 pm for free access:

http://www.detroitgp.com/conte nt.asp?cpid=5677&

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is some free events, if that is what you mean: http://www.detroitgp.com/conte nt.asp?cpid=5677&

Otherwise, can you just go and stand next to the track and not be in the bleachers?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A related question if anyone knows... For Saturday/Sunday, I assume there are booths for cars entering, where you'll be asked to provide/purchase tickets. Will it still be possible to get on the island for free if you're walking or on a bike?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect that if you know someone with a riverfront condo in Windsor and if you have a decent pair of binoculars, you could see the race for free....

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To partially answer some of the questions, "Race fans won't be able to drive onto Belle Isle. Instead, Shuttle Buses will pick-up fans from several locations."

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=346a4ebb-9075 -46d8-b911-a92f47712917

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everything only mentions admission and rules for "race fans" but i can't find any information about being able to access the rest of the island. anybody seen info on that?

Dougw

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm going to bike over to the island tomorrow and see how it goes.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, Dougw, I love the irony of you using pedal power. Way to go!

Rsa, sadly, because this is all about attracting race fans; I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the island were shut down- who would want to have a boring old Labor Day cookout?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i can't find any information about being able to access the rest of the island. anybody seen info on that?

I heard something on channel 7 news saying people would be allowed access to other areas of the island to picnic etc.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2754
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A majority of the island is still open to the general public. Only the west end of the island is dedicated to the race. They have 1 lane open that leads to the east end of the island. They are running traffic 2 way on the street going past the Detroit boat club.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, i can hear the warm up laps from the vicinity of the DIA!

i may try to get down there to go for a run this morning, though i have a feeling that it might prove to be impossible

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 447
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove on the isle I believe Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday (ouch, my trip to D is getting to be a blur) and the isle looked great.

Please make this race an annual event and keep the isle up.

Riverwalk looked great.

I saw a lot of things which looked great.

I drove through WSU Thursday and it looked great.

I guess the Tigs haven't looked great since the 16 - 0 classic vs. NYY. Monday's game was GREAT.

Keep the faith.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11671
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could hear the warmups this morning, plain as day, all the way over in Woodbridge with the windows shut!

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 844
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noise pollution yay!

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me too up @ Commonwealth and Merrick.

But the announcer for the WSU football games is still more annoying!

and they always blare "the warrior" when the games end.

'shooting down the walls of heartache, bang bang, I am the Warrior'

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 476
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could here them all the way up to Hamtramck as well in the St. Florian area.

(Message edited by hamtramike on September 01, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9960
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you could get into the top of any of those high-rises in Windsor, it wouldn't take that great a pair of field glasses to view the best straight-away in the whole course.

Went down there for the free stuff yesterday, and was bummed there were no grandstands to see/hear those Honda engines wail through four gears on that straight...haven't yet heard what their top speeds were at the end of that run.

One turn has a storm drain right at the apex, I noticed that the drivers that avoided it were much more able to hit the next corner smoothly and faster...gotta look up that turn number.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some sites with photos, etc. from the event. Note: John Thawley is from Detroit

http://www.trackbytes.com/disp lay/ShowGallery?moduleId=18527 3&galleryId=66558

http://www.the-paddock.net/

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"haven't yet heard what their top speeds were at the end of that run."

This might be what you are looking for: http://www.the-paddock.net/con tent/view/242007/49/

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6435
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! The Prix is back and better than ever.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.aerialpics.com/E/gr andprix07.html

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want your job, Don.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if you can 1.) Bike onto the island or 2.) purchase tickets anywhere other than online such as at the event. They really havent made this an event that is accessible to everyone. I love baseball games because I can just ride up, buy my tickets and walk in all on the spur of the moment.

Dougw

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle -- I successfully biked onto the island yesterday and rode around most of it, so you can definitely do that. I'm guessing there is probably a ticket booth where you can buy tickets, but I didn't look hard for that.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No ticket booth I saw but I was able to bike on and see a good chunk of the race for free between turns 2 and 3 with periodical updates on lead changes and lap counts from one of the Indy officials that was track side with a clipboard. It was a very cool experience. Belle Isle was barely recognizable and I actually quite enjoyed the look of it with the race track up. Maybe It will bring a couple more people to the island when there arent events going on.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went out today with the kids. It was actually really cool. We parked at friends house in West Village and walked over. We were shocked at how great the island looked. We saw a lot of the race for free and then took a lonnnnng walk to the beach. The entire eastern end of the island was open and lots of families there etc. The beach wasn't even that crowded and you could hear the race cars. It was cool. Our sons loved it! And we did as well. It was nicer than we expected.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 662
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmontrules, your post was very nice to read. I'm so glad your entire family enjoyed the experience, especially the youngsters. Creating memories like that are priceless.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the fact that the race teams said that the track was bumpy because it is always that way in Detroit. Yeah Michigan roads!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.