Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Why Detroit Needs to Tear Down Tiger Stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Sport Nut" Peter Hyman from Slate chimes in on Tiger Stadium.

http://www.slate.com/id/217310 9/fr/rss/

"Tiger Stadium as it stands today is a sad relic. It is literally falling apart, despite the fact that the city of Detroit has spent several million dollars in maintenance since 1999. Various efforts to open the stadium to the public for one final walkthrough have been canceled because the premises pose a safety risk. Some of the prized memorabilia—signage and locker room miscellany, mainly—that the city wants to auction off to raise money to offset demolition costs has already been hauled away by vandals. What remains is a hollow, neglected shell that serves only to tarnish both the club's legacy and its legends."

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of reminds me of the rest of the city besides downtown.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even Palmer Woods and Indian Village?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherwood Forest and Rosedale Park?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What remains is a hollow, neglected shell that serves only to tarnish both the club's legacy and its legends"

Do you think he really believes this? If you of the crowd that believes "the memories are more important than the building" then what difference does it make what shape the building is in?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that that this guy, Peter Hyman,
has about as much say in what happens to the Tiger Stadium as anyone on DetroitYES!

Seems fair to critique a few of his points:
-"Instead of being demolished immediately"
Thing is, why must everything be demolished 'immediately?' Detroit more often gets criticism for tearing buildings down than saving historic ones. I think his comment is somewhat misguided, as Detroit would have been damned if they did tear it down immediately or damned if they let it sit there for another 20 years.

-"Even the best plans for a salvaged stadium offer little in the way of long-term solutions to these problems. While demolition alone won't cure all the ills that plague Detroit, it's at least better than doing nothing."
I would argue that tearing it down WOULD do nothing for Detroit. Again, why be so quick with any decision regardless if it helps turn the city around or not. The idea that tearing down Tiger Stadium would do even one thing to help Detroit's overal situation is a far-fetched notion.

-"Tearing down Tiger Stadium will send the message that the city is striving to carve a new path rather than sitting back idly and waiting for the good old days to return."
Right...
If tearing down vacant buildings were truly an indication that the city is striving to carve a new path rather than sitting back idly, then Detroit would be on the best path of any city in the country, LOL.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought some of the main steel beams were dangerously rusted through?

Pharmer_b
Username: Pharmer_b

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad to hear that Tiger Stadium may be too far gone to save, but even if it could be saved, there would have to be a need for a stadium of that size, in that location, in order to make the project viable. I'm no authority on the subject, but Comerica Park and Ford Field don't exactly seem to be overutilized. Wayne State doesn't need a facility of that size, so who would use it?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6428
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Detroit Needs to Tear Down Tiger Stadium?

1. Its' a eyesore

2. It's delaying further PREMIER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES.

3. Corktown needs newer businesses and retail right away or else it would be a Irish community without a major business hub.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when does Corktown need a major business hub?

Lfrac88
Username: Lfrac88

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Since when does Corktown need a major business hub?"

Since there have been people living there- like me. Besides the Honeybee Market, there really needs to be more decent stores, or at least some basics.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I loved going to Tiger Stadium, and as much as I have really fond memories surrounding the place, it needs to go. It is not architecturally significant-- a hodge-podge of slapped-up additions that barely hang together. It is a safety hazard, full of asbestos and crumbling concrete. They continued to play ball there long after they closed the third deck because it was totally unsafe. Keep a small part for nostalgia and to recognize the history, but let's move on.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can understand the Corktown community wanting something that will generate activity. But of all the potential locations for new development, why in the world would potential developers and investors want to deal with the one that's likely to have the most red tape attached to it?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter Hyman is full of it. The millions he cites in maintenance is for keeping the grass cut. The Ilitchs were paid $400K/year to do just that. I doubt any money was spent on paint to protect the infrastructure of the stadium. There was a party on the baseball field during the Super Bowl celebrations. If there was any issue with liability then I'm sure the place wouldn't have been opened for party-goers. I'd think the reason for keeping people out of the stadium was to avoid the shock at how poorly maintenance has been performed over the years. It's in the interests of the Ilitchs to have Tiger Stadium torn down rather than have a competing structure with the history and the lure continue to exist.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.