Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Legion of Decency and Detroit Pics « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vitalis
Username: Vitalis

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear readers, return with me to those dark days when reading the local Catholic newspaper or the Michigan Catholic created moral confusion when observing the ratings attached to movie reviews of that era (for me the 1960s.)Let's see "C" movies were Condemned. An example of a "C" rated movie was, "Blow-Up" or "Dear John." "B" rated films were Morally Objectionable. These films were often the meaty, substantive adult themed releases that drew critical accolades and awards. An "A-III" Morally Objectionable in Part movie rating was also difficult to get your parents to let you go to. In my youth my parents new exactly what film was being presented at what theater - there were no multiplexes to disappear into. As I recall a teenager with a drivers license could get into an A-II rated film, and of course Disney = A-I. I further recall that theater management was wise to the churches rating system, and would police their audiences...sometimes. But often commerce would trump Christian moral codes. So the 13-year old me could get into "Goldfinger" A-III with no trouble, but not "Darling." I could not get into the "B" rated "Splendor in the Grass," but I could get into "Cool Hand Luke" A-III. And then by the time I had my drivers license, all moral shackles came off, and I was on my own free to choose between bare breasted, F-bomb hurling entertainment on my own dime.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh nostalgia. I guess we both pretty much knew which rating would be attached to "The Killing Of Sister George," didn't we?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 475
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the main branch of the Detroit Public Library looking at microfilms of 1920s Detroit papers and came across an article about a raid on a movie house that was showing'improper' 'indecent' films on the east coast. There was much more censorship in American films after and around th 1930s.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading the list in church and seeing, under the "C" rating (like really immoral) the movie, "8 1/2". By Fellini. Then it was at the local theatre in Battle Creek. 15 cents admission for kids. I really wanted to see it! Well, 20 years later I saw it. It's a great movie. Guess the Catholic Church was irritated with Fellini because of the way he depicted the church in his movies. And those scenes are hilarious!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall when the Legion of Decency came out with a C rating for "Bitter Rice" in 1949 which was shown at the Krim Theater in Highland Park.

It did wonders for attendance.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Catholic church was well aware that the movie studios and theatre chains were Jewish businesses, and there was a lot of moral posturing that took place because of that divide.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There was much more censorship in American films after and around th 1930s."

This was due to inception of the Hays Code in 1930 which set a moral compass for film content; it evolved into the MPAA guideline we now have.

See the entire code here:

http://www.classicmovies.org/a rticles/blhayscode.htm

One of my favorite code "guidelines":

2. Methods of Crime should not be explicitly presented.

a. Theft, robbery, safe-cracking, and dynamiting of trains, mines, buildings, etc., should not be detailed in method.

Look out! Someone could take notes, then blow up a mine for real! :-)

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Catholic procedure has changed on this matter since the “dark days”, at least it has concerning literature.

There was a very long, ongoing list of books that Catholics were forbidden to read. Within the last ten years the Vatican has done away with this list in an attempt to encourage dialogue between Catholics and the greater secular culture.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.