Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Council launches mass transit study « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The council launches a transit study to improve mass transit in Detroit area.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070829/NEW S05/70829048/1001/NEWS

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another waste of money and time. How many of these things have we heard of in the last 30 years?
Unless state, local and federal government get on the same page, you can forget anything getting done.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 46th study might conclude something different. You never know.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you do have to give them credit for doing a 'study' on how to bring the region together on the issue. Maybe calling it another study was just a misnomer.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I somewhat agree with Paulm. I was telling a co-worker of mine that one of the biggest problems in the Metro area is people don't work together. He gave me a look like I was crazy then told me why should people have to work together. But then he complains there's no mass transit in the metro area. Hmmm, I'd like to see mass transit implemented without people working together. Therein lies the problem. People want the results of teamwork without having to be a part of a team.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who recently moved back to Detroit, I don't understand...why so many studies and so little action? Is it in-fighting between Kwame and Brooks? What are the common shortcomings from the previous studies? Any good links anyone could provide would be appreciated!

I just visited the Transportation Riders United site http://www.detroittransit.org/ index.php
and took their survey. It says results will help them prioritize their work. My question is with all these completed "studies" shouldn't they already know what to prioritize?!?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 378
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state needs to pass a law establishing ONE authority to cover Southeast Michigan. Either that or sign a law requiring 5 more authorities. Either way, it will make a point that "mass transit" is only going to work when it is governed by the whole region...meaning one authority and one authority only. I applaud DDOT's DTOGs initiative, but how much stronger could it be if SMART's consolidated body joined in the competitive lobby for federal transit funds? Maybe we are not taken as seriously in that regard, as say Tempe or Albuquerque??

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6427
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Trainman, where are you?

Do you know about the Detroit City CLOWNSIL's plan to regionalized public transit?

I'm sure that Nazi-Livonia don't want to be part of it.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 443
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Studies are required to receive federal funds. The problem is that they need to be achieved in a professional manner. It also doesn't help if there are "higher-ups" that listen.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When DDOT finishes their line that is supposed to start construction by 2010 only to 8 Mile, or Dearborn if Michigan is chosen, everyone will realize that a regional authority is needed. The suburbs will want to jump on the bandwagon of the mass transit.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting they chose Crouchman - having watched all three county leaders this evening on TV, it's obvious there are some serious divisions going on, mostly because their constituencies demand it.

As much as I think Brooks, Ficano et all can be good people, I don't believe they can get co-operation done. They're from old political machines that got their strength from being divisive.

We need a state-mandated solution - forced co-operation is the only way to make real transit happen.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 373
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who has been to a major world class city like Chicago, New York, Toronto, London etc. knows that mass transit works and can make life a lot more fun.
How long will it take the knuckleheads around here to wake up?
The auto industry has paralyzed this state for too long in how it uses it's resources and plans it's transportation.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think that you can have a "major world class city" without mass transit? Detroit is by far the biggest city without rail transit (for that matter regional bus) in the country...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.