Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Streetcar Barns « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall there were streetcar barns near Woodward and there may have been some near Shoemaker. Were there other places where the streetcars rested? I would guess the electric buses used the same facilities.

Stinger

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) click on "SEARCH SITE" at left
2) click on "CLICK HERE TO SHOW FORUM SEARCH ONLY".
3) in the "Search by keyword" section, type in the words "streetcar barn" (without the quotes), choose "AND (match all keywords)"
4) click on the "Perform Search" button at the bottom

You will be rewarded with at least a half-dozen previous threads on this subject, two of which are "Hall of Fame (HOF)" threads. If you still don't find what you are looking for, then ask.

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Stinger4me' Over the years, from 1863 onward, there have been numerous locations across the city where streetcar barns were located at one time or another. When the DSR was formed in 1922 there were 15 carhouses (thirteen obtained with the take-over of the DUR). The Atkinson, Shoemaker, Coolidge and Wyoming carhouses were built by the City of Detroit. Here's a more complete listing from 1922 onward......

HARPER CARHOUSE (Harper at Mt. Elliott - closed 1923)
ATKINSON CARHOUSE (1922 - Junction at McGraw - "temporary" carhouse - closed 1924)
CLARK CARHOUSE (Clark near W. Jefferson - converted to bus garage in 1925, bus garage closed 1937)
TRUMBULL CARHOUSE (Trumbull at Stanley - closed in 1926)
KERCHEVAL CARHOUSE (St. Jean at Kercheval - closed 1928)
WARREN CARHOUSE (W. Warren at Lawton - closed 1930)
W. JEFFERSON CARHOUSE (W. Jefferson at Brennan - closed 1931)
MICHIGAN CARHOUSE (Michigan at Military - closed 1931)
BRUSH CARHOUSE (Russell at Ferry - closed 1932)
CONCORD CARHOUSE (Kercheval at Concord - closed in 1932)
BAKER CARHOUSE (W. Vernor at Livernois - closed 1949)
EAST JEFFERSON CARHOUSE (E. Jefferson at St. Jean - closed 1951)
GRATIOT CARHOUSE (Gratiot at Harper -- closed 1954)
WOODWARD CARHOUSE (Woodward at Manchester (Highland Pk) - carhouse closed 1955(56), property closed in 1972)

WYOMING CARHOUSE (1930 - Wyoming at Michigan (Dearborn) -- carhouse closed in 1955, bus garage closed in 1963)
SHOEMAKER CARHOUSE (1921 - Shoemaker at St. Jean - converted to bus garage 1939, current DDOT bus terminal)
COOLIDGE CARHOUSE (1928 - Schaefer near Schoolcraft - completely rebuilt into a bus garage in 1947, bus garage still open under DDOT)

Interestingly, a number of these locations are now (or have been) owned by other city departments, such as the Water Board, Police Dept, Parks and Rec., etc....)

As far as the electric buses, they were stored at the Coolidge, Wyoming and Shoemaker facilities only.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although the Coolidge carhouse was turned over to repairing and storing buses, I do think that they retained some old streetcars into the 50's. There wer a lot of very old buses there as well. Anyone remember when the last streetcars were removed from the property?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.