Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What Detroit needs now, is, « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs a little bit of love. Insert the name of a person, place or thing that affects you.

September 1, 2007

You are the most beautiful person in the world. Not just the superficial beauty, but rather, the inward beauty of heart and soul that harbors the characteristics of charity, kindness, gentleness, and most of all, lovingness.

In our later years I have tried to learn from you these wondrous traits that you have been endowed with. Of course, it is impossible to ‘learn’ all of these virtues because they are a gift that very few are born with.

I do love and appreciate you more than you will ever know. A smile from you is a daily treasure to me. I have never wanted anything more from life, than your love. It obscures and dismisses any other ambition that I might think of.

After all these many years, I can immediately summon your youthfulness in my minds eye. You will never grow old. You are, to me, forever young.

It is a joy to awaken every morning and wait for you to appear.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 374
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's my wife you're talking about.

Tponetom

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall;
you got the right idea. I wish it would spread around.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, our 38th anniversary is coming up this week and I would have to say, every day, that applies to us. Things change but the person is constant.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6440
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Detroit needs is more development of retail, homes, condos, lofts, international businesses more annexation of the its neighboring suburbs, white folks, Hispanics, Asians, East Indians, Arabs. More glass covered skyscrapers that are over 70 to 90 floors up. A better mayor and city council, good public schools, safer communities, lower violent crime, a better police force, dependable city employees.

But unfortunately its not going to happen in a long time. Just wait 50 years and Detroit will improve.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny. Tell the truth. You didn't even read the post which began this thread, did you?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6442
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

Yes I read your post but its too poetic. I'm more into political action and freedom fighting. That's my NUMBER ONE PRIORITY of being a Street Prophet member.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2946
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

{Shaking head at response posted above}

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny: O.K.; just checking. Yer awright by me, pardner. Carry on, tireless one!!

Tponetom

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny:
You are right about the material needs of Detroit, but you need people, who need people, to do what is necessary to build all of those things.
Poetic? No. That I am not. The poet has the words, the rhyme and meter but more important, they have a gift of blending in a philosophical story.
At an early age, I was determined not to be one of the ‘dese, dem, and dose guys.’ To speak or write in that kind of jargon is very demeaning to the people you are addressing.
What is a STREET PROPHET, as noted in your post?

It made me smile, remembering Prophet Jones, waving his handkerchief, while calling out to his flock of believers, “ALL IS WELL.! Detroit had its share of street corner evangelists.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prophet Jones tried to walk across the Detroit River didn't he?

Tpone, I for one enjoy your posts as I'm sure many others do as well.

Tponetom

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ss;
That was only one of the many outrageous utterances that he was famous for. His ultimate demise, on a morals charge, which was later dropped, was consistent with his life style. I think he missed his real calling which was "show business." He would have given Tiny Tim a run for his money.
A short biography of Jones, from the Detroit News:

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=182&categ ory=people

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prophet Jones was a far cry from being a street corner evangelist.

Here is a small correction to the Det. News article. The article gives his correct address, 75 Arden Park; but the picture is in error. His former home is much grander than the one in the picture.

Before moving to Arden Park (directly across the street from the Kresge family), Prophet Jones lived on Ferry Street in what is now the Fritz Funeral Home.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what the world needs now, is love sweet love....

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd supply a parasol for Kwame if he'd try walking across the Detroit River. He, too often, gives the impression he does it all the time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.