Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Wayne State is growing so fast « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how many of you attend Wayne State with me, but I have noticed something:

Is it just me or has the school hit a growth spurt? I mean... South Village, New Engineering School, new School of Medicine, New Business Administration building...

Seems as though WSU is becoming more and more respected in academia lately too. Could be good for the city - especially midtown, as I can see these improvements being a catalyst for on/near campus living for students attending...

thoughts?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think WSU is positing itself to be in a better urban setting than Michigan and MSU, just by its location.

What's good for Detroit is good for WSU, and vice verse.

Soon WSU will be building 40 story towers due to the fact that they have ran out of room.

<313>

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah and it's killing my neighborhood.
Rents are doubling.
It's worse the re gentrification.
These are mostly kids whose parents can afford $1000+ a month living expenses not to have the kid live at home in Troy, Rochester, Sterling Heights.....and many of these students are immigrants so they know even less about the area they are moving into than someone whose family may have attended WSU when it was a commuter school as my parents did.
They are building new student housing as fast as they can, and even the over priced lofts are starting to sell in the area. The apts that they have emptied of poor people (section 8) are slated to be redone and then rented out to students at much higher rents......Third and Prentis is a fine example they are gutting in now, bet the new places rent for $700+ a month....
The building I live in rents 1200+sq ft apts for $800-$1100 a month, compared to the 800 sg ft apts going for the same prices just around the corner.......mind you we only have 4 apts in our building but the rent has never been raised on me in 5 years, and the tenants before me lived here for 11 years without a rent increase.....Now our landlord may not be the brightest, but our landlord actually cares about their tenants, which make me care about the place I live in and even the neighborhood, while I am a renter I do feel that I get a good deal and so I try to maintain the status quo in my little piece of the world I occupy.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Third and Prentis is a fine example they are gutting in now, bet the new places rent for $700+ a month

Tell me about it. I'd much rather have drug dealers in the neighborhood. I mean, it's not like they want to live in a nice building anyway. Sheesh. No brainer.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6437
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes WSU grow so quickly is due to all the international attention. You will see more Indian, Asians, Britians, French, Arabs ect... We would like to see that here in WSU and to change the ethnic atmosphere in Detroit.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most people can't afford to send their kids too far away from home to school anymore. Wayne State should do well.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 975
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I miss the drugies at the beethoven, booooo for the new respectable people that most likely will live there now.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

except there is no new school of medicine or new business school...they have been in the planning stages for years...who knows whether they will even get built

Danny

Post Number: 6438
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker,

WSU and the rest of midtown area is being yuppified into an enviroment suitable for hip cool skinny jean kids. They like the area pretty well even through there are lots of po'folks and druggies out there looking for innocent victims.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a few different households full of people in the cass corridor and woodbridge area, and I assure you they're far from rich... and they don't see a dime from their parents. Most of the rich kids I run into at school are afraid to leave campus, let alone live there.

I agree with bumble 100%.

and they're supposed to have some announcement regarding the med school in a week or two... lol I can see it now, they call a big press conference and get all dressed up and calmly say "sike!" lol

I'll take boom over blight any day.

Danny

Post Number: 6441
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumble,

They yuppified North Cass Corridor area don't need anymore DEAD (C)KRAK HEADS, po,folks, mutants and schizoblacks any more. The hip cool skinny jean white kids are actually taking back their community with community action and WSU campus police force. Landlords are fixing up their apts and houses so that they attract them to their humble home. WSU is currently working on upcoming new housing for incoming freshmen. WSU want those apts and dorms fill up as soon as possible. It's a fresh start ethnic form all of Midtown area for future use.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 912
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to interfere with the "whites are superior" tilt of the discussion, but there seems to be a lot more international students than whites living around WSU campus. They - and the grad students - feel far more comfortable living on their own around campus than in the dorms that are definitely geared towards 18 year old kids.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you ever have the pleasure of hearing Dr. Reid (president of WSU) speak, WSU's growth comes as no surprise. He knows his university's role in the community and he plans on implimenting it 110%.

I personally don't care if the area becomes yuppified. I'm attracted to the area because of its incredible diversity. So let the kids live in the dorms. I'd rather have them there than plugging up the roads day and night proclaiming how boring metro Detroit is and planning their departure from Michigan once they're done w/ school.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4878
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has Wayne State killed off any major academic programs in the last few decades?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

yeah and it's killing my neighborhood.
Rents are doubling.

Considering that many more neighborhoods in the city really are being killed by depressed home prices, foreclosures and vacant homes, the notion that your neighborhood is being "killed" by an influx of new people and rising prices is laughable.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If rent was $1 million a month for a unit on Prentis it would be better than the current drug b/s there now. I understand the pros and cons of gentrification and that is why its pleasing to see some areas around greater downtown mixing incomes.

Danny

Post Number: 6447
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw,

If you don't like WSU's gentrification, you more than welcome to leave. Midtown is changing the developing Detroit's needs more housing, retail and entertainment like Chicago, Seattle, New York City and L.A. and it need people of all ethnic cultures.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 577
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

danny, when did you embrace the tyrannical gentrification?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not everything is so great at Wayne State.

"WSU might close 2 departments"

"The WSU Board of Governors is to decide Thursday whether to eliminate both departments and their degree programs as part of the university's larger effort to cut $9.1 million from its general fund budget."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007709020686

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

except there is no new school of medicine

Groundbreaking for the new educational commons is Monday Sept 17

Thejesus

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Groundbreaking for the new educational commons is Monday Sept 17"

Do you have a link?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny is neither for nor against gentrification. He just likes talking about it.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a pic of the business administration building that is supposed to (emphasis added) be built at the corner of Woodward and Palmer...

http://www.busadm.wayne.edu/flash/breaking_new_ground/Web/index.html

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.med.wayne.edu/news_ media/prognosis/admin_updates. asp#groundbreaking1

Groundbreaking:

Attend celebration for Mazurek Medical Education Commons

The WSU School of Medicine will host a special groundbreaking ceremony for the Richard J. Mazurek, M.D., Medical education Commons at 3:30 p.m., Monday, Sept. 17, on the Scott Hall lawn. A reception will follow. Please R.S.V.P. by Friday, Sept. 14, to http://president.wayne.edu/mec. For more information, please call Lisa Link at (313) 577-3587.

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shiffman will be closed for two years but good riddance.

Danny

Post Number: 6448
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful building. That will fill up that useless parking lot.

Danny

Post Number: 6449
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey,

I'm neutral for gentrification. I'm for gentrification as long as it supports ethnic diversity and provide housing opportunities for the low-income families. But I'm against gentrification if a developer or a city government lowers the value of the property in poor ghettos to future developer and once that developer builds a good housing stock, the company sells its housing stock to middle or high income families only causing poor and low-income families to be displaced to other poor areas or otherwise be homeless. Midtown, Downtown Detroit( North Cass Corridor area and Brush Park ) are the clear and present evidence of early gentrification in the inner city Detroit. Most po'folks who once lived in Jeffrey Projects and other poor ghettos are actually being displaced for future development and promote ethnic diversity in Detroit's future. Detroit needs gentrification to survive without it there would no future development. The city the rest of people in the community need to help the poor the low-income families find affordable housing, jobs and provide health care if not then we are just dumping our neighbors, our kin in the garbage. When I came from I help my family. When I live from house to house in the ghettos of Detroit I took in hundreds of my kin to stay a couple years in my house until they could themselves back in their feet Why not because I want it to but its a Christian and religious thing to do. I hope the rest of you all in this forum should do the same.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4881
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is going to happen to the Meyer Prentis (sp) bus ad building? Will it remain?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 789
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Building looks beautiful, and I'm glad they're building up from Prentis. Wayne is definately expanding, pretty much taking over that whole area, which is a plus in my book. Techtown is definately making some progress.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.