Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Date ideas in Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Krhn313
Username: Krhn313

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you had met a woman that has lived in Detroit for the past few years, that has seen and done most the city has to offer, what would you do within the city for a first date? It can be expensive and over the top, or cheap and low key - as long as it is memorable.

I find that it is easy to come up with ideas when dating someone from the burbs, but I'm at a bit of a loss on this one.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rattlesnake Club or top of the Renaissance for dinner.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 648
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A one or two hour tour around Detroit in a helicopter in the early afternoon. Then dinner and the DGP viewed from a superfast on the Detroit River. Next, dance the night away at the hippest, newest club in the city (have no idea what that is currently).

Eec
Username: Eec

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she's into music at all, you might take her to the Motown Museum. I've lived in and around Detroit all my life, and my wife had lived here for years when we went, but neither of us had ever been. Just one of those things that tourists do more than locals.

The DIA is a hard place to exhaust even if you've been there a bunch of times, though I don't think they've got their entire collection up right now. The Detroit Film Theatre, which is attached, always has interesting stuff (usually foreign or "art" films), and even if you've been there, they're always showing different stuff.

Two favorite restaurants of mine are Atlas on Woodward (which got much better awhile ago with a change in chefs, though I haven't been there in a while; I hope the quality's stayed high) and Slow's Barbecue.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 442
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count the DIA out. It is completely closed until November 23.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

top o' the ren cen, baby! it never gets old.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2487
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take her to Windsor and see the city from that point of view. The Cook's Shop has exquisite food.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about lunch at Govinda's and a tour of the Fisher mansion?

Ooops, it might not be open to the public any more. If not, what a shame. I found this:

Govinda's
383 Lenox Ave, Detroit, Michigan (48213)
Phone number: 313-824-6000
Open only for private parties. Call first.

Well, how about the GoldenGate on Woodward? They have really alternative plays sometimes, too.

18700 Woodward Ave, Detroit Michigan 48203
Tel: 313-366-2247

Eec
Username: Eec

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Count the DIA out. It is completely closed until November 23."

Sorry about that. Maybe a tenth date, then.

DFT's currently open, though.
http://dia.org/dft/

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette Coney Island. Cheap and quick.
Then the Pit Stop for a 2.00 draft. Maybe some free entertainment in the area. It also depends on what happens afterwards. Save your money in these tough times :-)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take her to your favorite place and see if your interests coincide.

Krhn313
Username: Krhn313

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went down to Goldengate Cafe last night with a friend to check it out and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's such an odd little place that you'd never expect to exist in Detroit. The thrown-together feel, tree house seating, and dogs & kids running around felt so much like the cafes around Phnom Penh.

I like a lot of the suggestions - many of them I've yet to try so you've all given me some great ideas.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does she (and do you) have an interest in local history? If so, a walk through Elmwood Cemetary looking at the graves and mausoleums of prominent Detroiters will give lots of chances for discussion.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4093
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken some first dates to unusual places, but I would advise against asking a woman to go to a Cemetery on the first date, unless she suggests it...Elmwood is a great place to visit, to be sure.
If she hasn't been, a show at the Bohemian Hall...or the Dakota Inn?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the Dakota Inn proposal.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vincettes. Was there on Friday night. Was a lot of fun.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's this:

kissing her under the grace and sagacious presence of the Book-Cadillac

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, that referenced post was very nice. It gave me a smile and brought back memories of similar times I've had.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnes, I agree. Unless she uses heavy white makeup and wears nothing but black clothes, I'm gonna guess that a first date to a cemetery is going to to come off as a little creepy.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take her to Eastern Market, wander around picking up picnic stuff. When she's had enough food shopping, picnic on Belle Isle.
dave

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coach insignia at the top of the RenCen for sure. Next choice would be a River tour with Diamond Jack's. You could have lived in the D for 50 years and never had anything like either of those vantage points! :-)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday or Sunday, pick up some chicken from one of the large grills out off the road in SW Detroit and head over to Clark park for a mini-picnic. If she's not familar with SW and the hispanic population or that particular view of the bridge and Windsor it'll take her to a different place.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buzz Bar for a cocktail and a walk by the river.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now I remember why the Chubster moved to LA

Roaringmouse
Username: Roaringmouse

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle: first the giant slide in the middle of the island, then the swings on the south side. Finish it off watching the sun set from the north fishing pier.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 768
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A week from friday, Sept 14, is opening weekend for the DSO.
Take her to dinner at one of the restaurants mentioned and then off to Orchestra Hall.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.