Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mixed Income Housing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This topic came to mind when discussing race issues in other threads. It was suggested that people want to be around others like themselves, but we agreed that then can lead to misunderstanding and racism. A way to maybe bridge that divide is through mixed income housing development. I thought this might make for an interesting discussion in its own right. This is by no means a panacea, nor is it just limited to black and white. Obviously unlike Chicago, we have plenty of cheap housing, but I think it's something we could adapt. Whenever I read of new neighborhood developments, I suspect it's to attract middle-classes back into city but we then end up with pockets of wealth surrounded by poverty in many other areas. What do you all think? Could this work in Detroit? Why not?

I read of a co-op development in Chicago; everyone got a brand new, beautiful brick brownstone for purchase based on income. Residential mortgages varied, but everyone had a nice place to call home. It brought together a diverse group with the intent of a harmonious community. It was a "planned" community, but living there was voluntary (this is for the benefit of everyone who thinks every little thing need happen organically). This was in trying to abolish Cabrini Green for the sake of providing affordable housing, not more prison-like projects. Although I'm sure they less altruistically wanted that prime land for development too, at least it seemed to improve some lives.

some info:

http://www.thecha.org/transfor mplan/plan_summary.html

http://findarticles.com/p/arti cles/mi_qn4155/is_20040214/ai_ n12531796

(Message edited by Oakmangirl on September 02, 2007)

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we already have something like this at woodbridge estates. hud's alternative to the housing projects
http://www.woodbridgeestates.c om/index.cfm?method=OurModels

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I was living in Chicago at the time. Has it been successful? Any more similar partnerships in the works?

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the land of mixed income housing, suburban Toronto :-)

From the 50's onward, Toronto's inner suburbs were controlled by the METROPOLITAN GOV. One of the METRO GOV mandates was to mix income levels across the metro region, instead of keeping the poor just in the inner city, etc.

Anyway for the most part I say it worked well. There are pockets in the suburbs where to much social housing was built in one area, and that has caused problems. But in areas where there is a good mix, it is not to bad.

My area for example, has normal middle class houses, co-op townhouses, high-rise apartment buildings at market rate rents, low income social housing apartment towers, and condominiums.

For the most part like I said, everything works fine. The low income housing projects did have some issues every once in a while, but really nothing to over the top, and things have been pretty quiet the last little while.

I went to school with people from all different backrounds, from my subdivision, to the low income housing, new immigrants, etc. Infact one of my best friends ever is a girl who was a refugee and lived in the apartment towers down the street from my house.

So the key is, you gotta mix it, and not have to much low income housing in one spot. One place in Toronto where it went bad, was Jane-Finch in the suburb of North York. They put way to much social housing into the community, and it has had trouble.

So mix it properly and it can work out well.

Also check out the St Lawrence neighbourhood in downtown Toronto. That neighbourhood was built fully from scratch as mixed income. And to this day, 25 years latter, it had not turned into a ghetto or had problems like the social housing projects did.

Sadly though, mixed income housing does not seem to be on Toronto's plan anymore in the suburbs. The outter suburbs which were never controlled by METRO, have hardly built social housing. So what we end up with is classic example of the fully middle class richer outter suburbs, surrounding a core area(the city and inner suburbs) that on average is poorer because we are housing most of the low income families, in addition to middle and upper class residents.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any construction yet on the Robert Taylor Homes' site? I'm curious, as I followed this story a little when the high rises were getting knocked down.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it seems to work on Manhattan's upper west side.
The incomes are extremely mixed. On 100th Street between Central Park West and Manhattan Ave., on the north side of the street are projects and on the south side are condos. It seems to work. There is some crap obviously. The people in the condos...although they physically live on 100th street and their front door opens to 100th street, they have a Central Park West address.
There is a corner store on the northwest corner of Manhattan Ave and 100St I think that everybody uses it no matter which side of the street you live. The police are dispatched from the same precinct which is right down the street across Columbus Ave.
Those upper class folks are not moving out of their condos and upper class people still move there when there is something available.
Those in the lower income levels across the street do not terrorize those on the other side. There were tennis courts at the corner of Columbus and 100th and though they were clearly a part of the condo property, they were not vandalized and destroyed. People were not going to New Jersey just to play tennis.

In my opinion, yeah it works for the most part.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure beats concentrating poverty in a 1960s high rise; hard to do much worse than that...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6459
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl

Good research! The once drug and crime laden Cabrini Green housing projects in Chicago's near North side is almost long gone, to be replaced by "Nouveau Riche" supercondos, megalofts and single family homes for middle income families few whites, blacks, Asians and Hispanics have diversified that area. Violent crime has been reduced and new retail stores have surfaced. It's would change the landscape of Chicago's ethnic communities for good. I wish Detroit could do the same.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

I think you're being sarcastic. I suggested we could adapt the IDEA of mixed-incomee housing, not mindlessly duplicate Chicago.

I also mentioned the city wanted to develop that land, so altruism wasn't the only motivation.

"landscape of Chicago's ethnic communities"

So, you're saying keep the projects in order not to destroy "ethnic communities"? Sorry, I didn't know living there was so desirable. You think a new kind of ethnic community can't evolve out of mixed housing? It's a sad state of affairs when people can only see pocket ethnic communities as the only fabric that weaves our cities together; it leaves a lot of holes.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe the "townhouses" on the SW corner of 75 and 94 were developed to be mixed income housing

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubbard-Richard. Notice Lowell's picture of a new house with the MCS behind it. That's the St. Anne's Gate Neighborhood (new name) aka Hubbard- Richard.
The house Lowell pictured is one of many new homes built to replace 1880s era cottages. Some are subsidized for working people, others are market rate. There are also market rate condos, and existing older homes.
I lived there for two years, and had great neighbors, including cops, firemen, postal workers, illegal immigrant landscapers, legal immigrant landscapers, artists, teachers.
A good example of how a non profit (Bagley Housing Corp.) can do great things with a bit of imagination and a mix of federal funds/private investment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.