Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Enjoyed my week in D - few ?s « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got to see pretty much what I wanted to see (e.g., DET 16, NYY 0).

1). What's with all of that parking area by the Beaubien Place? That looks like prime development area. I suppose it is to be developed but I forgot what.

2). What's with the area immediately east of Rivard on the waterfront? I thought @Water started a little further east.

3). I expected to see big things happening at MGM/DTE super blocks. I saw nothing 'super' happening on the DTE blocks.

4). I forgot what is going to happen with the DET police dept's station 'on' the WSU campus (is it Woodward and Forest??)?

5). I hope the folks behind the Belle Isle race help keep the Isle up during the year not just the time preceding the race. Grass doesn't need to be mowed each week but once a year is too infrequent. ;-)

6). The more I drove up and down Woodward, the more convinced I became DET desperately needs something 'big' along the several blocks on the West side of Woodward from I-75 northward. Still say great place to build some type of housing or housing/retail.

Strange (but I understand how it happened) but it was funny seeing two Krogers across the street from each other (this was in a 'burb).

I also now have a much fuller appreciation for how big downtown D is and how much remains to be done.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comment about WSU:

I was (formerly) more excited about the proposed bus ad school building.

Now I'm more concerned about developments along Woodward and Cass say around Forest and the need to WSU to expand themselves southward ("South End").

I see the bus ad school building as "North End" development. I don't see the big payoff/spinoff for "North End" development.

P.S. WSU athletics and their AD have done an excellent job on their 'athletic campus' across the Lodge. I was very impressed. The FB stadium (Adams Field) was very impressive.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1). The openness of the east riverfront near the Ren Cen is left over from decades ago where old industrial buildings used to stand on the riverfront. Don't get overly concerned; there are plenty of plans for that area. Some have just been recently announced.

3). Guess the term "super-block" is a misnomer as it means no more than simply a large mega block and usually carries a negative connotation as opposed to the term 'super' which in greek means above or before and is synonymous with awesome.

4.) It was recently bought by a developer. It is to be the site of a restaurant if I recall correctly.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, CP.

4). I now remember that a developer bought that parcel. Wasn't it for 1M bucks? (actually I think that WSU, if they could put up a building there, would have been a good developer, rather then a restaurant).

3). I was driving so maybe I missed it, but I really didn't see much 'streetscaping' or landscaping happening on the DTE site.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2 krogers that you saw are most likely the ones in Dearborn on Michigan Ave. I posted a thread about this a few weeks back.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric,

You are correct.

I believe one was formerly a Farmers Jack.

Now Krogers has two - I shopped in the mall one. ;-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.