Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Chandler Park Area « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive my ignorance in terms of city neighborhoods--but what do people know about the little enclave beside Chandler Park at the I-94 Service Drive--an area bounded by I-94, Chandler Park, Conner and I think Olga Ave along the backside? Many vacants in this area as well as some urban prairie blocks...but this looks like it was once an excellent neighborhood--memories, stories anyone?

Genius
Username: Genius

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We called it The Island, created when I-94 bulldozed through the eastside in the late 50's. Part of St. Ignatius Parish, where I went to school. Generally a bit rougher neighborhood than the north side of the freeway, except for the blocks that faced the golf course - some of those homes were pretty nice. My brother had a Detroit News route over there in the mid 70's, one of the biggest routes, about 90 papers daily.

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on the other side of Chandler Park (Drexel), but I can remember the area in question being a nice location in the 50's.

Gene Cassaroll, who owned Auto Shippers (hauled all Chrysler Corp. vehicles from their plants) and had an Indy race-car (Auto Shippers Spl.) lived in that area. Also, one of the best looking girls around, Marge Zizzi, lived in that area.
That little enclave was kind of hidden and private, but the "Big Ditch" (I-94) ruined that area, as well as on the other side of Chandler Park.

Senior

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the adjacent area (north of I94) for years, until 1982. I knew a number of people who lived in that section during that time. Even though cut off from us, it was considered part of the whole neighborhood because of the similar architecture, history and overall culture. The park to the east & south and the industrial area west of Conner were bigger barriers in terms of its isolation from adjacent neighborhoods below I94, which is probably why we thought of that "island" as part of our area north (with its connection via Barrett), just as it was originally before the expressway.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maternal grandparents were both raised in the area. Grandma on Wayburn, Grandpa on Nottingham. Home movies show a vibrant residential neighborhood. Very working class. Both grandparents were working class German immigrants, who came to the area in the teens.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.