Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anyone remember the "IBM Building" ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother recalls working in a building called the "IBM Building" in New Center on Pallister Street. This would be right behind the Albert Kahn, along - I think - 3rd.

Ring any bells ?

She told me at lunch she would cross the street and go under the neighboring building where there were tunnels with shops. Sounds like the AK Building to me.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boss worked there. I would ask him for a story or two, but then he would know Im on here screwing around.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3463
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that the building at the northeast corner of 2nd & Pallister?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will get some info from the boss, I know he worked for IBM in the late 60's early 70's in New Center.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that was a Louis Redstone project. It had a generally vertical modernist façade with enameled metal panels alternating with narrow windows. The panels changed gradient from the dark blue at the bottom stories to light blue at the top. I believe the idea was to emulate the sky.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that the old Burroughs office, IBM's competitor?

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 874
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Unisys in that area as well?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when they built that building. The facade was made to evoke the image of a punch card. Really! It's north of the Boulevard. Bourroughs/Unisys, is south of the Boulevard.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - ask and ye shall receive. Kenp, mom worked there probably early-mid 1960's. I didnt ask what she did or what was done where she worked - it would be crazy if she happened to have worked with your boss. Course crazier things have been uncovered on this board.

"Isn't that the building at the northeast corner of 2nd & Pallister?"

She said that one and the one across Pallister looked familiar - but the story about crossing the street to get to the Albert Kahn tells me it has to have been the northeast corner building.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IBMers called that building "The Blue Building". The company occupied it until 1979 when the most of the Detroit area operations were consolidated into the Southfield Centre (not "Center") on 9 Mile and Northwestern.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which is now also empty, isn't it?

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent a few minutes on YouTube looking for the video of a cargo helicopter crash landing on top of the IBM building at 9 mile & Northwestern.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus...the Southfield Centre building is still open, but there is not as much IBM presence there anymore, much of the space is now leased out to other tenants. Used to be 100% Big Blue. BTW, the original plans for that facility called for a second "twin tower" on the land east of the building, but it was never built. I forget why.

Mal...that helicopter crash was the result of an effort to remove a satellite dish from the roof. At that time, there were only a handful of companies in the country who did that kind of work. After the crash, another company was called in to do the job...I always wondered who the lucky next lowest bidders were on that project. The dish was eventually removed without further incident.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.